KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    B31A400B-C71F-4B7B-ADEE-728C1297A2BB.jpeg B31A400B-C71F-4B7B-ADEE-728C1297A2BB.jpeg Arrived. Shipped on the 6th received on the 10th
    Standard post. Not bad.
    floalex and Velociraptor like this.
  2. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So today Aurora Rally Equipment silently announced the design of a nice rally kit for the 790, using the previous gen. KTM 450 Rally windshield. Everyone familiar with Aurora’s work knows that we are expecting a beautiful outcome. I am on the line, hopefully we will see a prototype in a couple of months!

5F7DDBF5-CDC0-47DE-B21B-BF89D7EE8F0E.jpeg 88011D9C-6E67-4D1B-9375-131EC7C966B3.jpeg 5D6B74D1-9F49-495F-A50D-284290958EA4.jpeg
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check Aurora's work out on the 450. Then I'll probably need some alone time .. :photog
    640 Armageddon, nibby and Toddv like this.
  4. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to be exact, Aurora is producing rally kits for both KTM & Huqsvarna, using as many official rally parts available. For example when it comes to a rally tower, they will always use as many KTM OEM rally parts as possible (such as the KTM OEM windshield, OEM HELLA light module etc).
    In this particular case (790 Rally kit) they will be using the previous gen. 450 OEM Rally windshield. I think you happened to see some of my photoshop tests some time ago, so expect something similar, but much better and tested.
    640 Armageddon and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds expensive
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Look pretty though. Still I'd like to see an offer at a reasonable cost for joe blows wanting to move things up a notch or 5. Doesn't have to be too fancy .. new lighting, nav tower, and some plastics would suit me for now. I've always enjoyed this sort of look:

[​IMG]

Still, I don't think I understand this:

[​IMG]
    kzeb likes this.
  7. bikerc

bikerc n00b

Oddometer:
    Probably a slice through the famous aurora-(spider) clamp
    This is what it looks like for the 701

aurora clamp 701.jpg
    640 Armageddon, kzeb and Orfeas like this.
  8. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why one would want to remove the original lights to replace them with whatever. It should be possible to make a tower that reuses the original headlight no? It's more cost effective, and the original set of lights is actually quite nice. Plus, as a bonus, you don't end up with error messages on the dash.
  9. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, keeping the stock headlight is limiting the freedom of design of the new windshield. Rade tried to do it and we all heard that it’s not perfect. The biggest problem of all, is the actual design of the windshield: its the most important part of the assembly since it’s the first to touch clean air. The aerodynamics can only be tested in special labs that most of the time, only the manufacturers can afford. That brings us to why Aurora (as well as Rebel, Omega, PF and others) insist in using the KTM oem rally windshield. It has good aerodynamics and it’s also safe since it’s designed to break without leaving sharp edges. And this windshield (both previous & current gen) can only accept a specific hella headlight module.
    640 Armageddon, kzeb and Nowwhat like this.
  10. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Not quite right.. but I get your point :beer
  11. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Care to elaborate? After all we are all here to richen our knowledge base:photog
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    There are upgrades to Baja Design lighting etc.
  13. kzeb

Oddometer:
    Sure no worries, nothing fancy it's just that you can fit any small enough lights in there, don't need to be the quite expensive Hella module.
    I'm going to use the LSK light's (same light's as Rade use in his kit's) great value on those, and also street legal :thumb and I believe they are lighter too...:D

:beer
  14. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    @kzeb this is what you are after - https://moto-science.com/collection...lding-mirrors-243mm-perch-10x125mm-0097y-pair

One is right handed, one left. Works perfect on the 790!
    kzeb likes this.
  15. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    so far, as lighting is concerned, the only combo in the KTM headlight that will be close to the original output is a hella projector with a morimoto led bulb and a baja designs Squadron. everything else is a downgrade.
  16. kzeb

Oddometer:
    @Wilmo, That's great ! Thank you for the linky :beer

@640 Armageddon, Hmmm... so you say we'll see about that I guess, the LSK seems to have a pretty good output.
    Might have to do a side by side comparison first to state your fact's... :brow I might be able to rig it up at some point. :thumb
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally installed the xscreen sport on my Rade screen, but have yet to ride with it. This is the last attempt. If this does not work then back to stock. I will say that the xscreen mounts have a lot of little parts! It has the option of using clamps or screws to attach the screen. If I like it then maybe I will use the screws but for now just have it clamped.
  18. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Usually the output and the perception of the pattern/intensity are a bit personal from what I have seen on the internet. The photos don't replicate reality and they can be confusing. I trust the scientific data and what I have seen with my own eyes.
    We have done a side by side comparison with the 701 Lite kit (Stock Hella and Baja Designs Squadron) and the LSK lights on another branded kit and the light pattern on the LSKs is nothing close to the Baja Designs. It is much more focused and not as strong. Even the specs show it:

LSK: 33W, 3985 Lumens
    BD Squadron Pro: 40W, 4900 Lumens.

Price comparison is also very similar from my data, (Baja Designs is 30 Euros more expensive) so it's clear which one to choose.
    I thin the LED lighting has not been researched enough, I had units from various manufacturers and during time, all of them became 'dimmer' . Only the BJ's had the same output as day No1. I also know from contacts both in Australia and in the states that the Army is using them. And I think for a good reason.
    Also BD's have a big variety (Sport, Racer, Pro, SAE) with units reaching up to .. ahem.... 11ooo Lumens :deal . That would make the stock unit look like a candlelight :evil

Just my 2c...
    :beer
  19. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:
    Best windscreen post yet...
  20. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    sorry, got a bit carried away, but it concerns the lights that will be in the Aurora Rally Equipment screen :freaky