KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. danceswithmutts

danceswithmutts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have removed everything, the windscreen, the winglets and the headlight fairing things. I found that the noise is reduced to being only slightly louder than what I get when I stand up, and there is no buffeting.
    Fighting the wind on the highway is tiring, and my phone in the GPS mount is hanging out like a sore dick in the wind.

I am starting to consider ordering another stock R screen and experimenting with spoilers on that. Anyone want to sell theirs?
    CaseyB and ErGuss like this.
  2. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know you didn’t ask me, but:

I’m a musician and carry hearing protection with me everywhere. I went to the audiologist and had custom molds made for my ears that fit the Etymotic musician’s earplugs sound filters. The custom molding are comfortable enough, that I wear them all day with no problems. The filters are interchangeable, so I have different levels of pertection that I can put into my molds to meet my needs. They’re great for riding and going to the shows. https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/which-earplug. They are a High Fidelity plug, working as attenuators. It’s like turning the volume down vs sticking your fingers in your ears.

I also have a set of their active ear protection earplugs, which are great for music and shows. They do not work in a helmet, however, because of the way they work causes feedback.
    640 Armageddon and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Mine are nothing really special. I'll find them tomorrow and post up any identifiers.

It's a shame that there aren't plugs to tune out tinnitus ... whole different etiology. Whomever comes up with a solution, though, is going to be a billionaire.
    vrenlos, Copracer288 and V1Vr like this.
  4. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Got a Bose Qc30 , and moulded I in-ears tips, you’ll keep yours ears for life , just need an helmet which can allow enough room for these big tips, as Arai did letting a space for speakers in his last jet VAS SZ-R or dig a hole for each hear, that what I’ve done for the last ten years, beginning with the Bose QC20.
    I’m a classical guitar player and at 64 can’t imagine loose any frequencies ! ,
  5. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    No doubt. When it's quiet, I mean REALLY quiet, the ringing in my ears is deafening.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the same but on the stock R screen, same thing happened, the cam lock fell out. A zip tie took it's place and it holds fine. I think with the R screen in the upper position it would be a great solution. For off-road the spoiler could be removed and stowed and the screen dropped back down. Not just to find a quality spoiler that will do the trick...
  7. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:
    I have it too. Sometimes I lie awake at night debating how many fingers I would amputate to have a guaranteed cure for it...
    wierpig and tomstrommer like this.
  8. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About a year ago, there was a story on NPR about training your brain to ignore the ringing of tinnitus. I don’t remember details, but might be something to look into if you suffer from it.
    Copracer288 and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I should look into this. For me it's not there until I either 'tune in' or am reminded of it because I read something related. Minute to minute during the day I think my brain already filters it out for the most part, but when I am tuned in it's not very nice. And if I clench my jaw it's like a turbo on the volume level, and if I jut my lower jaw forward and back it raises in pitch as though I have a maddened swarm of cicadas in my melon.

I just pretend it's ma super powers. The Green Lantern had a really cool ring, so what can't I? :pynd
    braaap! and wierpig like this.
  10. wierpig

wierpig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's just what older bikers get as payback for all the pleasure we've had (and are having). It's an unseen badge of honour like the scar on your finger from a failed chain/sprocket inspection years ago...
  11. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And this is why I always wear ear plugs :ear
    ErGuss and No-Fret like this.
  12. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get ringing in my ear once every few days.
    but years of skydiving ,surfing,diving ,riding motorcycles ,loud explosions and shooting without plugs i just accept it . but I do wear plugs now jumping or riding
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    You running the puig touring screen?
  14. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:
    I got it as a kid after my asshole stepfather shot his 44 pistol three feet from my right ear. No badge of honor for that shit. Some interesting topics on the condition, it is a complicated beast with deep brain wiring connections, not going to an easy fix. Anyway, back to Windscreens!
    ErGuss likes this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Pistol whip him now that you are older. That’s a serious dick move on his part. Yes
    comradecasey and braaap! like this.
  16. RJ Str8

RJ Str8 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wanted to add my quick $.02 on this topic as this thread almost dissuaded me from buying a 790R. I'm coming from a 1150GSA with an extra tall screen and so am accustomed to significant wind protection at speed. I typically have 1-2 hours of slab to get to anything decent from my house so was very concerned the KTM would make that a total slog. A few weeks in and i have to say i am more than pleasantly surprised. I'm 6'2", have a rally seat and have the stock R screen at lowest setting. I wear an XD4 helmet with peak. The wind off the screen hits me right around the Adam's apple, which leaves me with clean air on the helmet. Essentially zero buffeting up to 75MPH or so and then I get a little but still tolerable. I don't even notice that it's any louder than on the GS (but my hearing is kind of shot for other reasons). Anyway, just wanted to reassure anyone who is having second thoughts that, at least for me, wind protection is a total non-issue so far and i don't see any reason to mess with the stock screen.
    floalex, Marcham, ErGuss and 3 others like this.
  17. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate, you just happen to have the right height to get your helmet above the turbulences! Congratulations!
    V1Vr and SoilSampleDave like this.
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As soon as I get the bike out of the shop, I'll take a pic. That is, if I can get it out of the shop.