KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice, thanks, why can’t you get it out the shop ! Closed ...
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try the exact same thing. I did a challenging dirt ride a week ago. I had to pull off the upper shield and strap it to the back of the bike since it was blocking my visibility. The lowest setting is perfect for the pavement, but sucks off-road. I'm 5'11".
  3. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Rade Garage screen on my bike tonight. I like the looks and it wasn’t too much of a hassle to install. Pretty straight forward really. I have their fairing on my 690 and I really like that one, I hope this gives similar performance. Tomorrow I ll get to put it thru some good riding and will know if it is a keeper or not. It has been a while since I cobbled together a new bike and I forgot how much crap I need to throw at it to make it dialed into my riding.

The bike is a ripper no question. I was really surprised by it last weekend, logging 400+ miles on Saturday with a ton off road and it ate it up. More to come!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I installed the 790 Rally clear windscreen. I think I am in love now :jack

4D4A904F-4CFF-4879-B67A-1B91F83522C4.jpeg 06ECD376-B52D-4620-889B-56F934E1430D.jpeg
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  5. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works much better?
  6. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Took my 790R out for some fast twisty roads and some off road riding and the bike with Rade Garage windscreen totally works for me. I wouldn’t be happy if it was any taller as I don’t want to look thru a windscreen. I ride visor up on my Arai XD4 helmet most of the time and air flowed how I would expect. For the record I am 5’10” and 30” inseam riding the bike with the low seat and Pivot Pegz.
    hubilado likes this.
  7. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did this earlier this spring, and came to the same conclusion the base givi with the spoiler was best, which is totally a bummer cause the airflow system seems to work well on other bikes. Granted you won't win any beauty contest, but it works. the problem I had was if I didn't stop and remove the spoiler when leaving pavement, it would remove itself, since my spoiler was the dual arm style with very small setscrews it just wasn't convenient enough for me so I've moved on to the next thing. will post up when I get some info. this bike would be my dream bike if we can get the windscreen thing figured out. keep posting up your findings!
  8. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You re kidding me right? Its the same windscreen just clear instead of grey. I find it more aesthetically pleasing but still not the most comfortable setup.
  9. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Ok... Took my beauty on a good testing ride. Rode on road to and from several big off road passes and flogged the crap out of this bike. On road speeds approaching triple digits and some aggressive off road going over Weston and then Hagerman Pass in Colorado with rain lashing out us most of the day. The Rade Garage Wind screen is pretty decent. Wind noise is a tad loud and dirty over 75mph. No issues while riding off road, wind screen was super stable and didn’t bounce around. I do have the Camel brace to help stabilize it. I ll keep it for now.

Attached Files:

10. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Puig Touring windscreen today. I did a test ride on the highway and it is very good. With the seat at the higher position, I can ride with the open visor with no problem. I'm 5'10. And I can see over the windscreen, not through it.
    el Pete likes this.
  11. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally I’ll pick up my new bike tomorrow morning ....ordered on the 16 June, hand made in Austria, with masks, and carried by monkeys, with masks); as a long performer in DIY in windscreen improvement, I’ll study this stock one, first with a MRA deflector, I‘ve kept from my beloved Africa twin, sure I’ll find the best way for my 6’2” height, seeing over the screen, get the less buffeting, and keep fresh ! ...,
  12. SUPERRIDE

SUPERRIDE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ever since my Moab trip in May with over 95 deg temps I've been running no windshield at all. I'm getting use to just being in the wind like my smaller bikes.
  13. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan to try to ride without too, as the heat is quite heavy and august around Marseille in France will not see any lowering degrees,
  14. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Matrace, did you get your 790?
  15. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes ! Just 30 kms at 4000 ...., hard to drive at these restrained speeds...but such a light Bike , I had to change and get my car for holy days, so can’t ride for now, but when I’ve parked it in my job warehouse among big tools, and racks , it was so easy to move..., I knew that was the god choice, I’ m planning to not mount any panniers just a top case, and soft sidebags, I want to keep this amazing feeling of lightness...
    Hence, very short test ride but I got it , and I’vent yet received the PP seat , heatings grips and paniers side racks....,
    finally my son will do the break-in , as I won’t have time this beginning august to do it, he’s coming from Montreal the 6th , and will take it as his main véhicule, I shall finish the 1000 break-in from the 18th, as I’ll go back to work , happily KTM shop will be open in august so I can plan the 1000 rev. Hard to ride at 4000 rpm...
    stou and Alli_13 like this.
  16. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why the 4K RPM limit? I'm pretty sure the manual stated to keep the revs under 6500 RPM.... Yup. Page 151 on my '19 english manual says:

throttle! 1.jpg
    ozmick likes this.
  17. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget the conversion to metric.
    marchyman and SoilSampleDave like this.
  18. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes , but my dealer a trusty one, told me not to overcome 4000 rpm during the first 500 Kms, and strangely, to fill up with 98 witch’s best than E95 , sorry not to translate with US values,
  19. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:
    Wind. Shield....
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  20. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Everyone else is doing what the owners manual says; 6500rpm. Actually, that only lasted for about 100 miles for me!