KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20 miles at 4000 rpm on 6th ( 90 kmh) were not sufficient, but enough to confirm two indéfectible facts:
    - I’m to tall for motorbike 6’2” that’s since fifty years, so the stock windscreen on high position is too short ... I did always knew ..
    - the stock windscreen seems very flexible, and the mount X part looks the same...., but I had a very good an long experience on a 1090 , and surprisingly “plastic” parts hold. ( Ktm is not a fool) . The MRA deflector is quite enough to deflect the buffeting over the top helmet , just need to bend down my head, rise up the screen should be more sustainable, but increases the wind pressure on the top screen , I’m wondering if it could hold at high speed , remember I drive in a hard windy country, aptly named “ les bouches du Rhône “ that means Mistral : which is strongly and often blowing, and obviously crossing the exposed highways, so don’t call the devil.

Hence I have to find a way to fit my Madstad screen on this strange insect, but that will come in winter as this summer is so so hot, at now, I just need wind flow on my chest and jet helmet ...., I’ll see in time, and for now I should drop down the stock screen and why not cut it ! ...
    CaseyB likes this.
  2. Maniac28

Maniac28 Independent Moto Journalist

Oddometer:
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYDHB7F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Three of us used this one on the Idaho BDR, all on 790R's. I put serval thousand rough miles on it before that and the other two guys have been running it since last year. Very robust and nobody's broken a windscreen yet.
    I even went overboard testing mine by dropping my bike into a gas pump when I thought my kickstand was down, breaking the spoiler in half. Doh! Didn't hurt the windscreen though. It's very easy to adjust on the fly as well since there's only one hinge. And cheaper than that other one.

BTW, love your videos Ian! Searching for a new 500 EXC-F for lighter adventuring and watched all the videos on your Six Days. Sweet bike!
    Venturer likes this.
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Have the same one on my 790, except I got for less than $20 on fleabay.
    JP4 likes this.
  5. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The same but I cut the upper edge, in a “smile shape” , it did a real improvement on my Africa-twin, but the arms are too long for the KTM stock screen,
  6. Maniac28

Maniac28 Independent Moto Journalist

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, ordered for when mine breaks! Appreciate the real world feedback. Thanks about the videos, I am trying to improve the quality. 790 videos in production now...
    JP4 likes this.
  7. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had this one, but... I didn’t like the big stuff in the center of the upper screen, and could’nt let it on, as thieves would take it off! But I live in a rough town...
  8. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 100 miler on my new to me 790R. Truly amazing machine! I am 6'3" with a long body. The PO put on an RG screen. I asked for the original R screen but he said he tossed it because it was ugly. Not sure I buy that story, but whatever. The RG screen wasn't terrible but I did get some buffetting that got worse the faster I went. If I duck down its good and if I stand up everything is nice and quiet. Like others here I have tinnitus and hearing loss so I wear earplugs. Even with the plugs in the wind noise was bothersome. I think the stock R screen with maybe a spoiler might help more than the RG does. I priced out a new R screen setup and it looks like $260 or so to get everything.

Anyone have any of the stock parts they are interested in selling to save some bucks?

DAVE
  9. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm working with R/G screen now, not as tall as you but I'm getting similar results, you might try one of the clip on spoilers, but it might be too much weight for the R/G it's a bit light weight IMHO. I had this spoiler from my DR 650 laying around and I think it's going to be my setup until something else comes along.
    KIMG0015.JPG

Attached Files:

10. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    I'm actually getting ready to grab one of these spoilers to run with the R/G kit. Any suggestions from the group on which one to go with? I think they both are probably the same. The single middle mount might be easier to stow if I want to remove it for the hardcore offroad Im am known for. :jack
    Actually it is more like I would remove it so I don't impale myself on it! HAHA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7YBB3...colid=18V1R3NKNG1O&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYDHB7...colid=18V1R3NKNG1O&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
  11. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd stay away from the dual arm unit, that's what i've been using and the plastic parts loosen up and pop out. keep it simple with the center mount unit. also looks easier to remove.
    deeve likes this.
  12. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was testing a prototype from Puig that works pretty well with both OEM screens.
    Last test was in a long trip to Italy. Now it is ready to be produced in september.
    It risers the screens but also they can be lower than stock.
    Here you can see how it works:

https://traildreamer.com/cupula-elevable-para-la-790/ 20200612_164208.jpg
    V1Vr and SoilSampleDave like this.
  13. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    I saw the video earlier in the thread. That looks like I could be a great solution. Being long ”torsoed” something like that looks pretty good. I take it you are satisfied with how it works?
    jaumev likes this.
  14. SunValley

SunValley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've experienced the same "exposure to cold water exposure" problem effecting my hearing. The problem is actually caused by bone growth in your ear canal in order to reduce the volume
    I took my stock Rally windscreen set off to accomodate my Rade fairing kit. If anyone is interested in the clear windscreen components, the headlight or the headlight housing, let me know.
  15. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Madstad! The one they make for the 790 works better than the one they made for my Super Tenere.
  16. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great ! that’s what I was I looking for , hope to get in in September , I appreciate the fact you can set it while riding, nice when it’s raining or arriving in town, to lower the screen and get a short sight to the pavement,
  17. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not perfect as the OEM windscreens are basically bad designed but it improves them becsuse you can adjust the hight.
    I was happy with it until I install the MST rally fairing, wich it uses the KTM 450 rally windscreen. With this screen the buffeting disaperars.
    I don't understand why they don't use it in the 790, or at least a simmilar design.
  18. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ktm 450 rally screen is not so far from the Madstad shape, witch is adjustable.
    jaumev likes this.
  19. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    @Tigerkf how tall are you and what height did you go with? Madstad says for 6'3" I need the 24" one and that seems like it would be HUGE.
  20. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't see the Madstad in real or if there are differents models but in the pics I saw looks too tall for offroad.