KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cut down RG screen works awesome on the road (clean air) and much less likely to chop into your face off road.
    100kph+ on the freeway = No Buffeting,

2803 GOR.jpg

YRMV.
    DirtyDaveMO likes this.
  2. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    I may end up doing that but worry I will make it look terrible. I saw another inmate did something similar, just taller and it came out looking pretty good.
  3. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I emailed RebelXSports about 790 fairing kit status. Response below.

"Hi,
    we are currently testing the prototypes on the 390, once we will complete the 390 kit by september we will do the 790 which should be ready during october,
    Best regards"
  4. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Pm sent
  5. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    So I got this winglet https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order...&pf_rd_p=d8e05aa3-599e-414f-a5ce-cce5b9a20ea7 and it does not fit correctly over the lip of the RG windscreen. When I try to tighten it up the rubber that protects the metal/clamp bolts forces it out of the way and I think would damage the screen in short order. What kind have others used with the RG?

BTW, I pulled the beak off my Fox helmet and removed the mirrors. It did not make a difference.
  6. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" and went with the 22' originally because that's the size I had on my Super Tenere. I ended up exchanging it for the 20" because the 22" was too tall when in it's lowest position.
    deeve likes this.
  7. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Does the Madstat use any of the stock hardware or brackets?

nm...found the install instructions.
  8. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, there is a specific double arm on wich the screen can slide up and down, but as it’s a quite large screen I agree with the fact it’s better to use it on road only,

I’d like to see the brackets mounting wich ate obviously specific for the 790. Anybody could post some pics, ?
  9. TNWalker

TNWalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20" Madstad. Works great for me 6'1" 32" inseam.

IMG_2137[1].JPG IMG_2140[1].JPG IMG_2138[1].JPG IMG_2141[1].JPG
    Steve
  10. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ! , I’m quite sure the screen is the same on the 1090, hence I just need to buy the mounting bracket , looks to be one piece , thank you ;
    TNWalker likes this.
  11. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    So tell me this...the RG is just going to be too noisy for me. 6'3" with a 32-inch inseam. I know this might seem silly but I just dont like the look of the Madstad screen even though it seems really good. I plan on truly riding on and off-road with this and think the bigger screen will be a hindrance off-road. At this point, I feel like I have 3 options. Get a stock R screen that is supposed to be "ok" from what I gathered after reading this entire thread. My bike just came with the RG screen. Or, I get a spoiler that fits the RG and see if that helps. The one I bought off Amazon did not fit. Or aesthetically the Givi Airstream looks better and it can be tucked down low for off-road.

I could be totally off base with the Madstad though so if someone has ridden off road with it let me know.
  12. TNWalker

TNWalker Adventurer

Oddometer:

I will add my experience with the Madstad setup to the mix. I posted some pics above, post #1349. I ride the 790S model. I use the 20" Madstad screen. The Madstad bracket mounts on the bike using both the high and the low OEM mounting points so that it is mounted with 2 screws rather than the OEM configuration of 1 screw. This seems to me to make it more stable and secure than the OEM option. The bracket has more than 3 inches of up and down adjustability as well as angular adjustability forward and back. When I am on road, I raise the screen up for maximum wind protection and comfort and when I am off road I lower it to it's lowest setting. Easy to do. I had the Madstad system on my previous bike, a Super Tenere', and it always performed flawlessly on that machine as well. At no time ever when I was riding off road, has the Madstad shield ever interfered in any way, including while standing while riding, or any troubles with visibility. I feel that because of the way the bracket mounts to the 790 that it is more stable than the OEM screen was. Before I bought the Madstad for the 790, I used the MRA x screen spoiler on the stock screen and that was a very unstable setup. As far as what it looks like on the bike, I could care less. It makes my ride much quieter and significantly less buffeting which in turn makes my ride time vastly more enjoyable. Honestly after its installed, I never even notice it. No one can tell you if it's the right screen for you, only you can decide that. I will say that at your measurements if you did decide to get one, the 22 inch one would likely better suit you. Also consider that by the time you have bought the Givi or the Puig along with the spoiler type add on lip, you will have then nearly spent the same as a Madstad setup would cost. I have a garage with way too many windscreens from various bikes I've owned in the past that just did not cut it. The Madstad for me, was the solution. Life is short, get what you want and enjoy your ride. :beer

Steve
    Matrace, ErGuss and deeve like this.
  13. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve, very helpful information. The Madstad site recommends 24" for me but I think that is more of a generality. Not judging...just trying to get a frame of reference for off road....do you ride mostly dirt roads or sometimes trails a littler rougher than that?
  14. TNWalker

TNWalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most off road for me consists of rough gravel roads, heavily rutted and potholed as well as some smoother gravel. Very little single track stuff in my area. I definitely ride more paved road than off road. I'm old so my motocross days are long behind me now for sure. Still I believe the Madstad is more stable solution than the stock S screen was. Windscreens, like seats, are very subjective to personal preference. No one screen fits everybody. Good luck with your search and decision.
    deeve likes this.
  15. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" ride an R , bought the 20" Madstad. I'm happy with it, just wish it could go a little lower for off road. I'm planning to drill another set of holes in the plastic.
    deeve and TNWalker like this.
  16. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Just came across a Laminar Products lip for the stock windscreens. Had anyone tried one? As I recall from the way back machine, these were pretty popular with the GS's back in the day.
    https://www.laminarlip.com/advr750.php
    TNWalker likes this.
  17. TNWalker

TNWalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May be worth a try. Never used that particular brand, but the MRA XScreen spoiler I tried on the stock screen added weight to the top of the screen and seemed to make it wobble quite a bit worse than with out. The one in the link you provided looks interesting. Has a good price. Go for it :pynd
  18. gerald29

gerald29 Texas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @dtaski do you think the 18in would have worked just as well? I ride mine mostly off road but always have hours of slap to get where i want to be. Im 5 10 also and it says to get teh 20, but I was wondering if I could get by with the 18. That would give me more clearance off-road.

Thanks!
    gerald
    rowdyred94 likes this.
  19. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally found my happy place :)
    Stock windshield with 3dparts spacer and a cheap Amazon spoiler at a 90 angel from the windshield and spoiler tilted slightly forword
    Did 85mph and no turbulence with visor didn't feel anything with visor open clean air on eyebrow.
    Will take pics tomorrow now stick image

|-/
    |

Here is the link for the spacer
    https://add3dparts.com/producto/soporte-cupula-ktm-790-adventure/

Edit : I'm 5'8 using bell mx9 adv
    ErGuss and deeve like this.
  20. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They'll do an exchange for you if it hasn't been too long.