KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jahredi

Jahredi Total turkey

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I’m 5’7” with a 30” inseam and wear an Aria XD4. I picked up a 2020 790 Adventure S yesterday. On the ride home, at anything over 60mph, I felt like someone had crammed a couple of vibrators through my ears and into my brain. It was insane. Intense rumble and double vision. I tried every combination of seat and windscreen and had minimum improvement, if any at all . The closest I came to easing it was with a high seat and low screen setup––and that was only because I could sit abnormally upright and crane my neck to escape into the clean air.

I stood up a couple times while going 70mph (the buffeting was unbearable) and it was so smooth. Sure, there was a lot of wind on my chest and it would be unsustainable to travel long distance that exposed, but having your brain scrambled by turbulence is far worse. So I ordered the R windscreen. Hoping it will protect my chest while getting my head into the clean stuff.

Today, I decided to try the wingledectomy. It worked for me. I only road about 5 miles at speeds between 65-80mph, but the buffeting is gone and noise is at a standard level.

It got me thinking...

I’m a surfer and filmmaker with 40 years of anecdotal experience pondering the hydrodynamics of surfboards while watching film and video from above and under the water. I tried to take those visuals and imagine the air as water and how it might flow over, under, and around the front end of the bike. I know some people have felt that it’s the mirrors, and I think this could be a part of it. It looks like the winglet might be directing air right at the hand guard. And I imagine that turbulent air would get pushed up to the mirror where it would get further sliced and diced into a vision shattering, headache inducing mess of frantic air.

It’s all speculation, and completely uneducated at that. But I concocted this totally hypothetical cockamamie illustration to prove my point.
    9336D21D-19BE-43A2-B075-78FCFD291A26.jpeg
  2. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I've said before I've had pretty good success with my wingledectomy but found the mirrors had no effect on my buffeting.
    I have the KTM mirrors that fold in and have removed the extensions where they mount, not sure if that ,makes any difference.
    Jahredi likes this.
  3. Jahredi

Jahredi Total turkey

Oddometer:
    Totally. I would be quick to assume that the hand guards are the first and most direct obstacle that could foul up the jet of air from the winglet. I was more or less assuming that the mirrors might just further add to the choppy, turbulent air...

I do think the problem starts at the winglet. It definitely sends a jet of air in the direction of the handlebars. I guess what obstacles and vacuums conspire to turn that stream of air into a turbulent mess is kind of a moot point if you remove the winglets...

Maybe one day I’ll re-install the winglets and remove the hand guards to see what happens. But probably not...
  4. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    My 890 Adventure R is supposed to be delivered to the dealer next month, and I'm probably going to have to ride it home after delivery (about 60 miles) vs. trailering it. Assuming I have to ride it, any buffeting issues should be readily apparent. Removing the winglets on the roadside and tossing them in my tank bag should be easy if I have the right tools with me. What do I need to remove them? Playing with the handguards can wait.
    Jahredi likes this.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A T30 TORX which should be included in the tool kit on the bike.
    rowdyred94 and Jahredi like this.
  6. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! think I'll toss one in my tankbag too.
    Jahredi likes this.
  7. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The winglet removal did not help my setup at all. I'm 5'8" 29" inseam. Here was my experiment in order of how I tried it. All rides were the same 2 mile freeway trip same day, 70mph.

1. KTM standard S screen, low position, Shoei Hornet X2 with visor. Heavy buffeting sitting. Loud wind noise.
    2. KTM standard S screen, tall position, Shoei Hornet x2 with visor. Maybe a very slight difference but still unbearable.
    3. Puig touring screen, low position, Shoei Hornet X2 with visor. Better but still terrible
    4. Puig touring screen, high position, Shoei Hornet X2 with visor. A touch better
    5. Puig touring screen, high position, Shoei Hornet X2 with visor, mirrors removed. No difference
    6. Puig touring screen, high position, Shoei Hornet X2 with visor, mirrors removed, winglets removed. No noticeable difference
    7. Same setup as #6 with Shoei RF1200 no visor, mirrors removed, winglets removed. Wind noise slightly improved.
    8. Same setup as #6 but I removed the windscreen entirely. Best solution for buffeting and noise, but I would sell the bike before I rode in that configuration.

I know have the Madstad 18" mounted with mirrors and winglets back on. Will take it out once the wind stops today for a run. I have the 18" Madstad in the full forward position. The mount and screen look well made and it pushes the windshield angle way forward. Hoping this will help. I should have gotten the 20" but we will see how the 18" does first.

Stay tuned . . .
    frqflyr likes this.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

I have a small 1/4" drive sliding T handle, a 3" extension, and a T30 bit in my little handlebar pouch. Takes up about the same amount of room as a couple of small ball point pens. Handles windshield and any body panels I might want to remove.
  9. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    IMO, you should really try the R screen in the low setting and go smaller, not bigger.

If the R screen feels better, and I am positive that it will, try it with a spoiler like the TT spoiler I mentioned on the previous page. Should work well for somebody of your height.
    Jahredi likes this.
  10. Calif-790R

Oddometer:
    I just may have to try that as I've tried nearly every other combination. lol Thanks!
  11. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing that caused most of my buffeting were the mirrors
    Jahredi likes this.
  12. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    @Norduro, have you had a chance to do any additional testing yet?
  13. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the MRA sport screen with the VSA-TYP A (30/19 CM) Spoiler. My handguards are Bark busters and I use the KTM folding mirrors. Helmet is an Arai something or the other 4.
    IMHO the two things that make the most difference are removing the winglets and the spoiler. I basically have zero buffeting and very little wind noise. (The wind direction can sometimes cause some buffeting)
    Personally I don't like the look without the the winglets but its better than having you brain rattled.
    I've tested with the Raid Screen (Worst but I didn't remove the winglets), standard screen(Not bad in the low position without winglets and spoiler fitted) and now the MRA (Not the prettiest but works best for me. . The only thing I never tested with my set up is the standard handguards. Spoiler.jpg
    Jahredi likes this.
  14. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have also ordered the
    Mra sport screen in light grey
    To see if that works,
    If not I can always try the
    Mra tour screen instead

And I also ordered the
    Touratech Evo Windscreen Spoiler

To fit with the standard R screen

Let's hope they work!

I am particularly hopefully for the Mra sport screen
    Seeing that I think that a wider but not necessarily taller screen is the way to go

And from the images I have seen it doesn't look to bad in the looks department
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  15. rowdyred94

rowdyred94 Has no parade m0de Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol. I think that's the best description I've heard, and the most like my own experience.

I also liked your cockamamie theory. I have a degree in aviation and had quite a bit of aerodynamics. My hunch is that the buffeting is mostly due to vacuum. Think of liquid glugging out of jug... A constant cycle of decompression and recompression. Removing the winglets allows more air to flow up behind everything and relieve that vacuum condition. For me it was only a partial fix though.
    Jahredi likes this.
  16. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    Interesting set of thoughts circling around. KTM should invest in a or rent time in a wind tunnel prior to release. When I brought my bike home from the dealer, I was laughing that the wind protection was so poor; then again, I was coming off of a big GS with an incredible CalSci windscreen that I could probably smoke a cigar behind at 80 mph. I see that CalSci offers a windscreen for the 790/890 has anyone tried them? They have cutouts in the bottom of the screen to equalize the pressure and in my experience, worked pretty well.
    Jahredi likes this.
  17. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like a big ass screen
    comradecasey and Venturer like this.
  18. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    True. Not going to win any beauty contests!
  19. Calif-790R

Oddometer:
    Well road the Madstad today for the first time. Madstad 18" full up position, full forward position. All I can say is . . . I should have done this first. Very very little buffeting and much less noise. For reference I'm 5'8" 29" inseam and the Madstad webpage recommended the 18" for my height. I may get the 20" to see if any better.

The screen and mount are very robust and sturdy compared to stock. It's the first screen that has height AND tilt adjustment. Both of which are just a knob.

Madstad 1.jpg

Madstad 2.jpg
    No-Fret likes this.
  20. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually looks halfway decent too...

Does it require you to look though it, or over it?

Edit: I see it's intended to be looked over, not through... That's good.

I also see they're not too far from me. I'll have to see if they'll let me demo one. That might make traveling longer distances more enjoyable.

Thanks for the feedback.
    No-Fret likes this.