KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jahredi

Jahredi Total turkey

Oddometer:
    Just got this reply from RebelX Sports re: replacement winglets/fairings, and since this post was started in regard to loudness and buffeting, which I found has more to do with the fairings than the windscreen, I thought I’d share it...

“We finished the 390 version this month and still working on the 790/890 which we hope to release this summer as we really want to make a kit that improves the aerodynamics of the bike. Thanks for the interest in our products, we will post an update before the end of April.”

Exciting news to me!! Hope it’s not too far off topic
    No-Fret, kirill_k and alonad like this.
  2. Smallfurry

Smallfurry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is indeed exciting.
    No-Fret and Jahredi like this.
  3. Ten Speed

Ten Speed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have found a very suitable setup for me. I intend to use it during the summer months to get me from bay area in Ca., to the dirt. I'm riding to Idaho in July to do the BDR, so I have some considerable slab time. I bought a rally windscreen from AOMC and a spoiler from the evil company:) I took the spoiler out today for the first time and it is significantly nicer at freeway or highway speeds than the windscreen alone. I get really good protection on my torso and the wind hitting my Arai XD4 is clean. I am 6'3' with a long torso. It's not like being behind my 20" Madstad, but that's not going off road. I use the Madstad in the winter on pavement. Yes I spent a few bucks, but this bike is my 911 or Vette. I enjoy riding it and working on it every single time. I think that is the appeal of KTM for me. I was never comfortable on my 07 KLR on the freeway, riding the 790 at speed is a joy. It is planted. The tractive rear shock has been a game changer at all times. Good luck finding something that works for you. DSCF0436.JPG DSCF0437.JPG DSCF0438.JPG road.
    No-Fret, Jahredi, RyanC and 1 other person like this.
  4. TiBasco

TiBasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!

I have just bought the 790 adv S and replaced the S windscreen by the R one because the S one was giving me buffeting. Now, with the R screen the buffeting is completely gone, but the wind noise is just unbelievable, even with earplugs. This Touratech spoiler does look like a decent solution, but before paying +-€140, could you elaborate on how you experience the wind noise with the spoiler installed?

Funny enough though, is that when I open the visor of my Shoei full face helmet, the wind noise is completely gone :-)
    Jahredi and No-Fret like this.
  5. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever tried a serrated sharks tooth style windscreen. They use them in Formula 1 to reduce buffeting on the drivers helmet. You'd never want to crash or go off road with one for fear of decapitating yourself, but they are supposed to work well for buffeting. The idea comes from owls wings and their near silent flight.
  6. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Same as me. Open the shield and noise is gone.
    Jahredi likes this.
  7. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA535D77-45CF-412D-90E1-54D95D94B35E.jpeg
    Yep cracking my shield 1 notch is a big help. I prefer my 890R stock screen in the lower position and I use a MRA universal spoiler much like the Touratech but it's a bit less $$. View attachment 2882246 View attachment 2882246
    Jahredi and No-Fret like this.
  8. Peby

Peby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that the tinted or clear version of the spoiler?
  9. robin_nerf

robin_nerf Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had both single and double clamp units, My single clamp was identical to your pics and the double clamp is a MRA spoiler.
    With the standard R screen the single clamp worked quite well but I still had some buffeting, if I opened my helmet visor it was fine. (until reading the posts above I thought it was just me) I never tried removing the winglets in this configuration. You don't want the single clamp unit on a tall screen as the clamp is in the center of you vision and can be distracting.
    The double clamp unit I found to be more stable than the single clamp unit and it works better for me on the MRA sport screen that I have.

Edit: I don't look through my screen normally but still found the single clamp distracting while in my direct line of sight but that is a personal thing and it may not bother you.
  11. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a road use only as I drive a lot, finally get a quite perfect huge protection , Mastad, cutoff deflector , and two shipo Chinese side deflectors usually put on top screen ,
    with a Bose Qc30 and moulded ears tips a silent helmet with huge space for big ears, rare but for winter the HJC RPAH 90 is fine and in warmer seasons an Arai XZ ,
    I get the unicorn , a light powerful GT-Trail bike ....

Attached Files:

ErGuss likes this.
  12. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    April fool's joke? :lol3
  13. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could have been , but no, Gt bikes are heavy expensive so fearing to fall , and drink a lot, a 790 A , for a 65 years old rider ( quite never rode any car) , was a good choice , quite cheap for the full équipements, so easy on a day to day long use, and an amazing versatility ( which Kawa missed with the heavy 1000 Versys ) with a high level of security, what else,
    If needed take off the huge windshield and you get a good Offroad bike ...
  14. PEPImotox90

PEPImotox90 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the GIVI on my 790, tried the tall touring one, reduced the noise and buffeting, but not as good as i wanted. I also tried the shorter one, which is still on the bike, lots of miles and a a 500+ mile trip last last fall. much better than the stock one on the road. works about as well as stock 1190 adv (s) windscreen.
  15. olevp

olevp n00b

Oddometer:
    MRA vario touring screen... since I haven't found any good writeup on it, I'm sharing my own first thoughts, I hope that helps someone.

Background: I'm 194 cm (6'4" for those so inclined), riding a 790 Adv R, with Powerparts high seat, wearing usually a beaked Arai Tour X-4. I've never understood the fuss about "buffeting", up there where my head is, there is no buffeting. But there is wind pressure and noise, lots of it, and while I don't mind the wind pressure, I don't enjoy the noise that much. So I've been reading and researching for something that would give decent level of protection without looking like a Gold Wing.

Mission:
    find a decent windscreen. I have tried the stock R screen (no protection), Puig Sport screen (same lack of protection, but looks prettier, so it's been on my bike so far), Givi AF7710 Airflow screen (humoungous and ugly, excellent protection, but strange low frequency vibrations over 100 km/h that drove me crazy. Did I mention already that it's hideous?).
    Some of the higher screens (stock S screen, Puig Touring) are not getting good reviews from taller folk, so I haven't tried them. I've read good things about Madstad screens, but being in EU, they are hard to come by and stupidly expensive to order just for testing. They also look like they were made for Road King.

MRA setup:
    MRA screens have good reviews on other bikes, and some people have reported the MRA Sport one being decent as well, so I bite the bullet and ordered a MRA Vario Touring screen. It looks the part, wider and higher than my Puig Sport, but not quite as huge and ugly as the Givi Airflow.
    My first worry was the fitment. MRA warns that the screen is "not compatible with risers", and my handlebars are far from stock. I had 25mm risers, some 20-25 mm higher handlebars with less sweep (Renthal 609 RC high), and 3rd party foldable mirrors. Also, my handlebars are in the most forward position.
    Indeed, fitment was an issue. The installation of the screen is a piece of cake, only 8 screws, but both my mirrors and the stock handguards hit the screen badly, far before the steering lock.
    I removed the 25mm risers, which I had planned to do this spring anyway, reshaped the handguards a bit with the help of the heat gun, and adjusted the mirrors as low and back as possible. Sadly the mirrors move with the brake and clutch levers, so there is a limit how far back I can move the mirrors. As a result, the handguards and mirrors still hit the screen, but only slightly, so it was good enough to go on a test ride. I plan to swap out the handguards to the KTM Barkbusters, then I'll see if I have to cut the screen a bit or either move the bars back or space the screen forward or more vertical a bit. Anyway, with a little TLC it will work.

MRA Vario Touring ride experience:
    I have only ridden it on asphalt so far, overall I'm very positively impressed. The wind noise reduction is significant, to the level where I wasn't missing the earplugs. I could hear the engine, gearbox and the chain instead of just the annoying wind noise, and if I sit just a bit crouched and farther back, I'd say it's almost as silent as the Givi Airflow... not quite though. With Givi I could ride with the visor open and not feel any wind pressure on my eyes, not so with the MRA. I'm on the upper edge of the comfort zone of the MRA, so I'm thinking about maybe spacing it a bit further upright, which should be fairly easy, to see if it would help. In standing position it doesn't get on my way, I can totally see myself going offroad with it... maybe I'll switch back to the Puig for extreme hardcore days, but it's much, MUCH less obtrusive than the Givi Airflow.

Looks:
    well, the bike is not as pretty as it is with Puig Sport, which is the best looking one IMHO, but far less ugly than the Givi Airflow. I can't say I love the looks, but it doesn't bother me. As far as I know, it's lower than the Puig Touring and much lower than the 24" Madstad recommends for my height. It's only 8cm higher than Puig Sport on the edges, but in the center it's more like 15-20 due to different shapes (see photo), so visually the difference is bigger and it also feels in the wind protection, which the Puig has none and the MRA has [​IMG]

Verdict:
    the MRA Vario Touring is a keeper for me, I can recommend it for riders in my height range and I think it's going to stay on my bike most of the time. I feel I'm in the upper range of comfort zone, so if you are taller than me, or have longer torso, YMMV. Be ready for some fitment challenges, if you have risers or non-stock bars like I do, you might have to play around with handguards and mirrors or maybe even cut the screen and/or handguards a bit. I suppose with fully stock setup you won't have issues, maybe just have to play with handlebars, handguard and mirror positioning.
    Cutting the screen should be fairly easy with a Dremel or similar tool, but I'll see if I need to do that after I have installed the new handguards and played around with the screen and handlebar positioning some more. For me, the benefits of comfortable touring are worth the little fiddling for sure.

Attached Files:

Jahredi likes this.
  16. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing , a pleasure to read you,
    as I was quite pleased with the high Madstad and the 3 deflectors around, I found that huge stuff giving a heavy look...,
    and after reading as your did no write up on the MRA vario touring, I remembered the concept Vstream advance in developing motorcycle windscreen , the way air flows ..
    and the good experiences I had with their products on a Kawa GTR 1400, ( Concours), and a recent Africa twin 1000,
    I’ m 187 cm tall, but Vstream did not produce any WS for the Ktm 790 adv. , so looking closely as I could on website, I guessed they did take in count the laminar air flow on screen sides , where Madstad fails..with a rough cut flat screen ,
    So last week spring warming up the south of France , feeling a wind of change, I ordered the MRA and at now it’s on board, waiting on tuesday to get a long road trial ,
    I did already appreciate the metal mounting part with 4 bolts to hold firmly the thick screen,
    Jahredi, countersteer and olevp like this.
  17. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    @olevp
    Doesn't the Givi Airflow have 12cm of adjustability, so when you want the bike to look prettier, you can just slide it down.

One would imagine if both screens work for you are your height, they would serve shorter riders very well.

Normally noise is caused be turbulent air hitting the helmet, and the helmet would other be quiet in clean air e.g. no screen. So you seem to one saying that these are directing the air right over your head rather than at some mid point on the helmet. Which is encouraging.
  18. olevp

olevp n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup, the Givi is adjustable, but it looks hideous in any position IMHO :) For me the Givi gave full protection even 2/3 way up, but worse than the looks was the fact that at higher speeds (over 100km/h or 60 mph) my head started getting extremely bad low frequency vibrations, which literally drove me nuts, it was intolerable. Still silent, could still ride with the visor open, but I guess the combination of wind pressure on the barn door size screen and the vacuum behind it caused the vacuum bubble to start vibrating.

Attached Files:

19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ugh, yes you are right. From that side on shot it does look ugly.
  20. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Woofing” is when the air is slipping on the screen and create a gap just behind the screen , that generates a vacuum which appeals air and we hear a loud flap ,
    That’s far different from the buffering on the top helmet , and many windshield makers had create a hole on the screen base to balance pressure and reduce,
    But the shape can also help to spray the flow sideways , aeroscreen and Vstream had worked on this and it seems MRA also use a wind tunnel, ( maybe a virtual one),
    Which is the best way to refine the work anyway ,