KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. olevp

olevp n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, clearly the MRA guys and girls have done their homework and I am happy to give their my money :)
  2. TiBasco

TiBasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed a GIVI vario screen the other day on the stock R screen (that my garage was so kind to borrow me to try) and took it for a test. Much better but still this crazy wind noise as of +-70km/h. I am waiting to see how much this solution from Puig will cost https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/win...-regulation-system-for-screens-mem?bike=26310 With a bit of luck, this in combination with a vario spoiler could solve the one and only problem I have with this otherwise lovely machine :-)
  3. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This Mem is already sold for the new Yamaha , but not yet for the Ktm, I guess it will be a great improvement for those how ride off-road,
    But won’t be the graal for roads runners , the gap is ont the sides , and without winglets tout can’t avoid too much air flow on your chest ,
    I noticed on the Puig video , the Yamaha got two front winglets below the mobile windshield ,
  4. TiBasco

TiBasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I am not looking for extra wind protection but I just want to reduce the deafening wind noise :p3rry
    Jahredi likes this.
  5. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is still of interest to me, even though I have extensively done tests on the 790 for almost 24 months with various setups, is marketing. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean it in a big way.
    The side panels alone, will never, ever correct the situation. I am talking about the general public and not a specific individual. Aerodynamics, as some of you may know is a very complex subject and even big brands (MRA, Ermax, Puig etc. ) rely on virtual simulations rather than renting wind tunnel time. Otherwise you'd pay three figure numbers for their screens. (been there, done that). The virtual simulations is the cheapest way to test different types of riders, heights, side mirrors, handguards, handlebars (they change your stance on the bike) etc. But as all things in this world reality is there to laugh at you. Your posture, your flappy jacket, the helmet, the wind speed and direction will change things drastically so if the MRA is working for some, that does not mean that it will work for others. Same goes for the kits, for the side panels, for the aerodynamic add ons and so on. My approach, as a customer to all these brands, is to understand if they say marketing stuff, or speak the real deal. We all have seen the double bubble screens on the street bikes, we all have seen these old vespas with a windshield that would make a Fiat Multipla cry from its size and we all have a general understanding of how the airflow goes on the bike. Notice the world 'general' . It is a key one. The higher the screen, the better it will be. Imagine that the screen is in front of your eyes, say 20cm in front of them. . How on earth air can get in your eyes? It cannot. Now imagine that this screen is directly in front of your eyes. There is no way air can hit the back of your helmet, the side of it and so on. That is the general explanation. And this is what these add ons do to the top of the screen. The side openings on the 790, will create some flow from the sides, which depending heavily on the situation will create heavy turbulence from the sides. How on earth you design something for improving aerodynamics without CFD or flowvis in the best case is beyond me. Even an F1 car, with Wind Tunnels, top guys in design, resources that would make KTM cry, they rely on flowvis to understand reality. If you do not possess the tools, it is like designing a con-rod just by saying ''ok, let's put some more material there, it will be good''. You simply cannot do that and because 'that' something worked for a specific rider, it does not mean that it will work for another. I have ridden the 790, I am 1.83m tall, and I have no issue with buffeting on the stock bike. Neither the R nor the S. I have used an Arai RX7, an Arai Quantum, a VX3, an LS2. Still no issues. Go figure. But I have friends, with similar (not the same) characteristics who see the issue. I have friends which experienced heavy buffeting on a Transalp (true story...).
    The subject is so chaotic, that whenever I hear that a company states ''we found the solution'' it's a red light for me. Basically, in this field, with the resources that we all have (CFD and flowvis in the best case, trial and error in the worst) you have to rely on the sales to tell you if the product is good or not. You need to have a very large sample to say ''this is the solution'' . And so far I have not seen a solution that solves the issue to 100% of the riders. Even @kubcat will tell you that. So my approach as a customer, would be to wait for a product to penetrate the market a bit, then ask what the results are, how it changed the protection etc.
    Mud Bucket, wierpig, Jaimoto and 2 others like this.
  6. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All that is right, so the shortest way is to try. So I did , thanks to a very windy week, I got the worsts conditions to feel the best protection,
    and for a 1,87 cm rider , Madstad wins against MRA touring vario, wich misses 10 cm on top
    I gonna sell it, despite the fact the MRA windshield is far nicer ,
    But long rides must the more comfortable as possible.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  7. Chickenasana

Chickenasana .,;,.,;,.,;,.

Oddometer:
    Installed an 18” Madstad on my 890R. I’m 5’11” (180cm). It performs fairly well for me, but night riding is terrible! Tons of headlight reflection and glare. There is even a funny effect where the light shines out of the top edge of the screen—like fiber optics...

I’m considering ways to block the light without messing up the adjustable height function, and without making the front of the bike look like its held together with duct tape!

For those with similar experience, I’m curious to see if you found a solution. Apologies if this has been covered—its a long thread!
  8. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well made a move today. I sold my 2001 Dakar to a very happy guy, and he should be. No put a deposit on a 890 Adventure black and orange. I hope its all you guys have been saying it will be. I figured I better pull the trigger as there are so few of these out there.
    Chickenasana likes this.
  9. TrailMaven

TrailMaven Exec Director SOS

Oddometer:
    I ran the spoiler and it was great to reduce buffeting but it will break the stock windshield just by riding a bit of moderate dirt roads
  10. dowlf

dowlf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find the MRA touring screen in stock in the US, hopefully soon. Doesn't appear MRA ships to the US from their site. Removing the wingettes helps with the buffeting a little for me, but still at 70+ there is still turbulence.
  11. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just recently purchased a windscreen from California Scientific (https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/KTM390prod.html). I was getting a lot of turbulence and wind noise at highway speeds 65 mph and up. I previously owned a Triumph Tiger Explorer that I put a Madstad screen on, so I had a pretty good idea what going that route would be like - heavy but effective, maybe too much for off-road. I was also interested in the MRA variotouring, but like @dowlf couldn't find a confirmed source for the US.

2013-11-21155140_zps8526acf9.jpg

Anyway, I decided to go the cheapest route, hence the Cal Sci screen for $150. It shipped immediately and came quickly. The same product fits the 390, 790, and 890.

[​IMG]
    (Cal Sci photo)

Unboxed it and mounted it up - I noticed it was a little thinner and less finished than the Madstad product I was used to. My 790 had the handlebar mounts in the center-rear position, and the bars rotated forward a bit a la trials. The handguards made significant contact with the screen at full-lock left or right. I moved the mounts back to the last hole and reversed them, so basically one notch back from previous. The guards still make contact but it's minimal.

790 windscreen.png

The air coming off the Cal Sci screen is significantly quieter than stock. I put the winglets back on and noticed less road noise and a little less turbulence. I tried riding with the mirrors on and off - on seems to add some rumble and bounce, so I'm going to install the Rottweiler Arrow mirror kit.
  12. karmicgumbo

karmicgumbo n00b

Oddometer:
    I am considering the Givi airflow. What percent would you say it cut down on the buffeting? How tall are you and what mirrors do you have on the bike? Did you remove the winglets also?

thanks,
  13. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I am 6’ tall with a 30” inseam. I run an Airflow, Rottweiler mirrors and no winglets and for me the buffeting is pretty much completely gone. I only feel it when I’m too close to the car in front of me at highway speed or when there’s a strong cross wind. Not quite as good as an Airflow on a Vstrom but pretty close.
  14. robin_nerf

robin_nerf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'v just added the Amazon windshield on my stock 890 Adv R windshield and I cant feel it made much of a difference, not sure what the best angle is ? (Same as the stock windshield and just use it as a extender or is it supposed to be tilted in anyway to direct the wind somehow?).

I have checked the MRA variants and they look pretty good, sport/touring/vario-touring, anyone with my length 6 feet(183cm) that has tested any of them and have compared them to stock Adv R (with or without amazon extender) ?
  15. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    try like this.

2D045617-0DF0-433B-A8C5-4EE1223AC739.jpeg
    No-Fret likes this.
  16. Ham

Ham Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. GFT

GFT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

New 890R owner here. Coming from EXCs and the 1190R (I do miss that bike, but not in the mud)

Have anyone tried the Prototype Team screen? I searched the forums and online and can’t find any reviews. The height is similar than the stock R in high position but the angle is steeper. It does cover the headlight which means it will reflect it at night, but the 1190 S screen did that a bit. It is rated for off-road use, whatever that means in Italy. It is ugly, but difficult to make the front end worse so thinking why not differentiate. Thanks

https://www.prototypeteam.com/product/windshield-for-ktm-790-890-adv/

Attached Files:

NextAdventre and No-Fret like this.
  18. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Curious on how good it is on the highway.
  19. GFT

GFT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wrote to them and they said it won’t provide protection per say, but that in their experience it would improve buffeting at high speeds provided that the winglets are removed ... and then went on saying it was meant for off-road riding and rally styling... I may get it and be the guinea pig if nobody has it.
    NextAdventre and No-Fret like this.
  20. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have it.
    It won't stop buffering (for me 5,8 30 inseam) clean air is 3,4 inches above my headc
    Taking off the mirrors helped a lot but still
    It is shorter then the oem
    No-Fret likes this.