KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Hatori

Hatori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it is most likely the Californian emissions that slows them down. The US is a huge market, they really shouldn't be taking long to get bikes over there.
    Montana Maniac likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah xt700z, 790 ADV, oncoming F850/750 and Tiger occupy the same niche and will be cross-shopped extensively. Add Wee-strom and AT to make a full set.

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
    Bloodmouse and Montana Maniac like this.
  3. MultiDoc

MultiDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 790 adv will be a 2019 bike, and most probably if not certainly closer to the current big ones (1090/1290) than the 950/990 (and unfortunately not nowhere near the SE.
    Hatori likes this.
  4. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 790adv needs to hurry up before my 950adv is knackered beyond repair. To be fair, I’ve had the 950 since 2004...
    Wolf_ADV, Team Vegas and DesertSurfer like this.
  5. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Alright enough with the rainbows and unicorns! This bike is now going to be real, so lets start talking facts. I am very confident this will be a sub 400lbs 100HP dream bike that Santa promised me last year! So enough with all the negative.

No really I am super pumped with this Bike and think it will end up being the 950 ADV I loved,
    only super model skinny.
  6. Montana Maniac

Montana Maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    450lbs will be close enough for me! Just leave all of the gizmos off of her please!!!!
  7. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    There can be no facts until KTM unleash the beast.
    I couldn’t care for the BHP, I’m more focused on the torque, I want to be able to ride it from low down revs up to 9k with the same kinda hit my 950 has, I want better fuel economy and ideally 270mile fuel range.
    I don’t want no low assed bike, I want ground clearance along with a suitable sturdy base for the bashplate, it should be a mans bike not some metrosexualised offering, if people want to lower them then that’s fine but at least offer us a tall bike like they should be.
    It’d be nice if somehow the plastics incorporated slots for soft luggage, either side of the bike and on top. I don’t think I’ve ever required my rack, if I had something to lash my bag to at the back, I’d have no need for the rack. What I have found it that anything hard at the bottom of my Ortlieb bag will try and rub an hole on the edges of the rack. I could be wrong but perhaps some non painted plastic that’s cheap to replace would suffice provided it had a few slots for straps? I usually keep my bag on the rear of the seat so the weight is closer to me.
    How often have you been on a trip and need access under the seat for your tools only to find your top bag is blocking the seat? The seat would be ideal if was two piece so those who want to carry a pillion buys a pillion seat, those who don’t get a detachable hard plastic cover in which valuables and other associated stuff can go into. Under the front seat goes the tools.
    Cockpit, in the design include some way of fixing a sat nav high up on the screen area.
    I know the tyres are likely to be tubeless but please can they allow us to be able to fit a tube if/when the crap hits the fan. Rear wheel, I’d actually prefer it to be 140 width so I can fit tyres that are for mx bikes, why? Because often when on a longer trip, the tyre goes bald and you struggle to find a tyre that’s 150, in fact you struggle to find a 140 but the shops have 130’s and 120’s. Kinda makes getting out of the crap a bit easier, yes not ideal but it works and you get to continue for a few more days to another shop. In UK this isn’t so much an issue but can be in other European countries which the language barriers don’t help as you can’t just call around to locate tyres. In US, when I did the TAT, a few people had tyre issues and had to travel out of their way a fair distance to get new ones. Not good on a trip when trying to cover the journey.
    That’ll do for now.
    Oh, can we have a clutch that works, especially the slave and a water pump that doesn’t leave us right in the crap. And don’t leave the centre stand off that weighs 5kg so the bike appears lighter and we have to buy one as an ‘extra’.
    I think that’ll do for now...!! :rofl
    Johnthewheel, mutt550, young1 and 2 others like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be 2020 as well. Since when they released that Duke 790 promo, and I don't see it listed in 2018 lineup.
  9. schotterfahrer

schotterfahrer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. Hatori

Hatori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All is at is for KTM to take old 690 rally bike and ram in the 790 engine. Is that too much to ask for?
  12. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:rofl:imaposer:rofl:lol3
  13. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it can happen under 400# stock without having a smaller oil tank, etc. with higher maintenance intervals. Or remove the subframe like the more enduro oriented bikes (not happening). Based on the 1090, I'm sure it won't come with a center stand so that helps.

CB 500X stock is about 430#. The Rally Raid kitted CB 500X w/accessories is around 487# according to this guy
    https://adventure-motorcycling.com/honda-cb500x-rally-raid-5000-mile-review/

KTM 690 Rally Raid kitted for racing is about 375#
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-with-rally-raid-weight.1049083/

I believe the main selling point will be price ($9k +/-?) and it won't feel as massive of a fire breathing beast like my 990 does. A bit friendlier size.
    Montana Maniac likes this.
  14. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    If the 900 Nuda weighed in around 383lbs. dry then maybe 400 or 410lbs might not be out of the question. whatever number it comes in at just take off the pipe and you will drop 30lbs!!!

Sadly I think this bike will be much closer to $15,000 than $9,000. Much like the old 640 ADV was close to the 950.
  15. JohnnyWaffles

Oddometer:
    Right, wishful thinking on the price I know. For some reason I was thinking the 1090 was priced like the Honda AT and was comparing the 790 to that. But the 1090 is closer to $15k from what I could find.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say just sit back and wait until rugs get their hands on 790 Duke and have it weighted. Most of bikes with the exception of VersysX-300 had gained about 40lbs in ADV disguise, don't think 790 would be any different. Yeah and that weight will not include any farkle extras like bash plate/guards/side racks/cases/centerstand/etc.. expect typical build add another 50lbs.

Said that they have a winner if they get it down to 430lbs wet and down to 10k, but Yamaha is more likely to hit that cost range, true.
  17. chevtech

chevtech Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait is this the 790 duke?!? Tell us about power band/whatever!!!

:y0!
  18. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was responding to the post about a 390 adventure. Unfortunately no I dont have a 790 duke!
    chevtech likes this.
  19. JohnnyWaffles

Oddometer:
    My 690 post referenced the Enduro and not the Duke.
    chevtech likes this.
  20. Hatori

Hatori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the people who have ridden the 790 Duke they seem to think that the bike weighs under 150kg(330lb). If so I see no reason why they would make the adventure weigh so much more. Definitely don't see it being >180kg(400lb) fully fuelled. It will definitely be far lighter than the Nuda!
    Benduro likes this.