KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    so you did open the pump assembly? a gauze? really ?? on an EFI bike?? so you mean that you will face AGAIN the 450 and new 690 duke failing injector(s)?

do you have any pictures of the opened up pump assembly?

taking down the pump is not the real issue here, the real issue is the 100 plus dollars for the original fuel filter set and the long washing necessary to flush the whole tank.

guys, are we really talking AGAIN of cleaning something after being stranded in the middle of nowhere because of a faulty design???

are we really happy with a wrong and inaccessible filter that may even not be able to protect the injectors??

pics of the 450 RFR RALLY KTM, same as the Duke 690.... only a strainer, no main filter, ultra small fuel pump, but at least you can access the bloody thing to service it with 3 screws !!!!

IMG-20181212-WA0001.jpeg

IMG_20190115_194200.jpg
  2. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    well honestly foam filter are fare inferior to other technology, the wedge may be smart but the original filter is wrong both in mounting and air flow, snorkels are good but the 990 periscope is still the KING ;)
  3. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    I was just reporting with the dealers are "saying"

I have yet to do it and was waiting for a spare one before destroying it ;)

sorry, reading your description on how to remove the pump I cannot find resemblances to our pump

hose is hold into position by an oetticker clamp, long hose that connects directly to the TB flute

pump assembly is monolithic, what sump guard did you find? any picture?

even fuel flow is quite hard to perceive, there is really little space for fuel to access the pump strainer/intake

any pics ???
    maxcielle, sirroslr and Radzz like this.
  4. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this info. It makes a huge difference when removing the tank of the 790 is probably a time consuming task.
  5. Ranies

Ranies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It won't help just cleaning one side. It's so typical that this tank with much more surfaces than a traditional one got this problem. When is it 100% clean? That is my question.
    hondamxracer and guglemonster like this.
  6. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    AGAIN.... sorry... I've got a short temper today :)

@Disguised are we both talking about the KTM 790 R ?? fuel pump and all??

weeeeell we do have some TOTALLY (edit... forgot to add different !!) fuel pump under our noses mate :) totally

just popped open mine, and guys, THIS IS NO SMALL FEAT TO DO AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD

let me fix some pics and I shall report back to you ASAP

:chace:chace:chace:chace:chace:chace:chace:chace:chace

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    ChR1s likes this.
  7. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm beginning to think that what with his name being "Disguised" and a total of 3 posts maybe he's just having a wind up and taking the piss.... Time will tell
    The_Eccentric and guglemonster like this.
  8. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    what three posts???
    :(:(:(:(
  9. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    anyway.....

@Disguised is right, there is nothing to break there, I start to believe that even KTM dealers are AGAIN swimming in the dark like it was with the 990 series.....

my technique to open up the dungeon, yep believe me, for a fuel pump is the worst place to be, has involved cutlery, colored ones from IKEA

after trying with all sorts of screwdrivers and eating part of the plastic, believe me I hate to damage parts, I found the trick : knifed the bastard

IMG_20190331_190926.jpg

IMG_20190331_190940.jpg

IMG_20190331_190942.jpg
    after that is a simple pull pray and swear.... but trust me, is nothing you can do at the side of the street.......... so bloody well fix it :)

wedge a flat screwdriver between the two parts pushing down one teeth at time, in the free space push a flat knife to hold the tooth down

repeat 4 times

no, it will not pop open, you gotta pull like hell...............

next post for more pics
  10. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    now, imagine, what to you expect to find in the dungeon??

me??

rats, broccoli, some dust, plenty of cages and the aforementioned gauze .... ... well..... rats would have no space to move, trust me, and for the rest.........

a laminated screen strainer

IMG_20190331_191306.jpg

IMG_20190331_191301.jpg

IMG_20190331_191347.jpg

sorry for the quality of the pictures..... was shaking from rage and laughter
    ChR1s, Salzig and maxcielle like this.
  11. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    now... it feels like wet gluey plaster, yep the one on the walls

IMG_20190331_191704.jpg IMG_20190331_191709.jpg IMG_20190331_191821.jpg

the lower cage with the mesh PA strainer has also a structural function, is pushing the fuel pump up against the seal in the usual trap under the fuel pressure regulator

so, I have a suitable strainer to match it, but, have to let it at is since without it the pump will fall in..........

but worry not, we have already the far far better solution to that
    Salzig, econwatch and Equalo like this.
  12. Rob 110

Rob 110 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    and now last but not least

fuel flow

remember when I told you there was the drain hole with a mesh?? well I was poking at the mesh on the pump, just that it was so full of junk that I had no way to tell the color or the structure, it felt like a membrane, it was just the PA mesh full of shyte.....

be behold............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bottom has a totally new configuration for fuel flow

IMG_20190331_192150.jpg

IMG_20190331_192127.jpg

at the bottom of the pit, the left hole communicates with the hose going to the TBs, in between there is a tunnel that connects to the fuel pressure regulator on top of the turret and that will release excess pressure/flow back in the tank

the very nice effect of the return hose from the 690 and 450 design has been lost..........

now the turret

I was expecting in the large corner below the white roof a sort of a filter, cigarette like, but you can look inside and find nothing

depth wise they are the same..... I'm baffled

once I will have a new filter set and find out what is inside for 100 bucks, I'll cut this one open and we shall see

as for now, even with the finest of brushes, there is no way to clean the strainer, I put it in my usual carciofi alla romana pot (artichokes) with injector cleaner and fresh petrol and will report in the morning.

simply shacking has released more particles and dust from the surface, so I believe that it may be the trick

will report later guys

cheers
    Salzig, KiwiPewe, econwatch and 2 others like this.
  14. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's only made 3 posts.. They were in response to your Comments and he's a new inmate.
    guglemonster likes this.
  15. guglemonster

Oddometer:
    well, we all have to start from somewhere no??

but I still don't now what pump he was describing, maybe the duke 790 (totally different code on KTM) is done differently, have one shipped to me, once it's here will undergo the same party and we shall see

in the end the Duke has been around for more than one year

and he's right, no need to take down anything to take the pump out, but to open it it's not easy and the inside of the pump is very automotive new style stuff

the assembly is a Bitron piece, I know bitron from the automotive in Turin, Fiat and such

the fuel pump is a BOSH and is one of the most common fuel pump ever made

it equips all BMW motorcycles starting from the early 2000 :)

[​IMG]

as for the strainer, I have some ideas too, but if it's easy to clean, than my solution is simply unbeatable, hahaah what else :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Salzig, Equalo and Radzz like this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    So to be clear, is this plaster of crap what we 790 ADV owners are bound to run into?

And besides the new intake design you're working on, you are going to propose a solution to this issue as well?

Maybe a full fuel system flush, and cleaning should be part of our 1000km maintenance. (Dealer) If this is a known? issue I'd rather get it cleared up well in advance of being stranded 100's of km in the middle of nowhere.
    guglemonster likes this.
  17. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Texas (by way of Norway and Nova Scotia, Canada)
    ...what a fuckin mess.
    No; NOT acceptable on a new bike.
    I guess this is the what is causing the delay in US release. ...they’d better sort it out by the time they let them loose over here..
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see how/if KTM addresses the residue in the tanks. Other posts have mentioned there was a stop sale due to it so hopefully they are addressing the issue.

At a glance the screen looks like it would be quite effective for a pretty long period of time with a clean tank to start with. I know here in the states there were a couple reports of 790 dukes with gummed up screens when new.

My plan is to pull the pump and check the screen early on. Perhaps at the 600 mile mark. If dirty clean it and run a few more tanks and check again. If still getting crapped up then at that point have the dealer work with KTM to resolve it.

My point being that if it's an issue we do ourselves a dis-service by not expecting KTM to fix it. By taking the bike to the dealer for repair under warranty that (hopefully) provides KTM with incentive to make sure it's right from the start versus having to repeatedly pay out for warranty claims.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll keep an eye on this thread, compile photos, and reports and begin priming my dealer early if NA owners are running into issues, so BOTH the dealer and I are prepared to build this into the first servicing. I won't be pulling anything apart. Let the dealer dick around with it, resolve it, and return the bike ship shape. I'll also be at the dealer than day when they pull it all apart, snapping photos and so on.

It would be nice if some insider could report on everything from the source of the issue, to any associated production delays, and what solutions they have in play .. or are in the works. As well as any hidden warranties or recalls there are.

This manner of always having to discover issues through some slow, anecdotally driven route is a bit retarded. It's great that we all learn from the next guy...but that no one at KTM seems to be openly discussing any of this to my knowledge is .. retarded.
  20. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern CA. Soon to be WY. Hope WY NEVER changes!
    WTF is that mung in/from the tank? Something left over from the tank manufacturing process? You'd think that they'd be sure to remove all of it before sending the tanks to the bike assembly line....

As for the filter/strainer, I'm thinking a reverse flow purge module for the pump (like what's available from the aftermarket for the 990 and 1xx0 bikes) would be beneficial here.