KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're different solutions to different problems. A Rekluse "auto-clutch" shines in low-speed poking through technical terrain. It relieves your clutch hand to fully grip the handle and lets you focus on lines and smooth power application on a bike that's pretty much impossible to stall. Personally I use a Clake one-light clutch but I've ridden my buddy's 500 EXC with a Rekluse and I can totally see the appeal.

A quick-shifter is useless when you're picking through tight trails with rocks, roots and ruts because you never get out of 1st year and are otherwise clutching the whole time, which is why a Rekluse or light clutch are wonderful there. Conversely, Rekluses and light clutches don't offer much solution to wanting to blip quickly through gears during fast, smooth speed transitions.

Make sense?
    FireDog45, Jaimoto and typeamark like this.
  2. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Feel heavier when it is a good amount lighter? I'll go on a limb here... bet you are talking "feel light" of the 1090 about "falling into the curve" where top heavy motorcycles feel light when you just start the counter steering. Bikes with low center of gravity tend to push some more before falling into the curve.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I'm coming off a 300XC 2T, so a whole 'nother type of beast, but I tend not to do technical stuff in 1st. 1st is fatiguing as hell, but if I use 2 or even 3rd a lot of the time those same trails become a breeze. 1st comes off as herky-jerky whereas 2nd or 3rd smooths that all over. But the 300 is exceptional at chugging along. I mean crazy exceptional.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the 790 can do in 2nd gear in more technical riding. Hoping some throttle blipping to keep revs up will be enough to be able to chug along without flaming out.
    typeamark and nibby like this.
  4. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @TrailTrauma That's right. I should have said that the change to a 47 will allow me to hook up 2nd gear in the slower stuff. ATM for some things I'm in first when I need to be in 2nd if that makes sense?
    typeamark and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I think we're on the same wavelength here :)

What is kinda cool to see - are all the different paths we're coming from. All converging in on this new 790 ADV. Guys from tame cruisers, all the way over to competitors that have a trials pedigree, or desert racing etc. Each of us with different expectations, and vastly differing demands which we will try to exploit the 790 for fulfillment of.

Some guys will be uneasy with the relative high, enduro style seat whereas any guy that has an enduro background will be right at home. Guys coming off cruisers with comfy seats and sheepskins will probably have issue with the 790's harder seat for distance adventuring. And the list of comparisons is endless, which is actually refreshing. It will be nice listening to a myriad of new 790 riders chiming in with comparisons to this and that.

The next few yrs in this forum will be pretty exciting times...
  7. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spot on

and I'm guessing that you like me will be taking it on those trails that from time to time, we think a bit more of a "challenge" is needed from riding the small bikes hey ;)
    DRglidarn and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ruderfeet, thanks for that explanation!
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  9. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still no CARB Executive orders for the 790 - as of 4/26/2019.

Hopefully the testing is underway for California.
  10. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You about wrote my own thoughts on it after I had a quick ride. Personally I'd go for the 1090R as to me it's 8 or 9 tenths as competent on the dirt as the 790 but more liveable on the pavement.
  11. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @snarman99 heat shields available for 1090, non issue
  12. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM would do themselves well by including a TFT display and comparable features on their next model years.
    TrailTrauma, BDO and Luckycharms like this.
  13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    And cruise.
  14. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    big weight and cog difference between them, so i disagree about the 8-9/10 off road behavior
  15. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weight isn't significantly different and most riders will manage both bikes equally well or just as badly, depending on their ability. The good riders will obviously exploit the difference.
    typeamark likes this.
  16. kempower2000

kempower2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma and Rodooo like this.
  18. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn’t you guys just describe a 1290 SAR?
  19. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, and the 790 Adventure, and most of the 790 Duke. The point being that the 1090 is starting to look mechanical compared to its hi-lo product brackets.
    TrailTrauma and typeamark like this.
  20. goldneox

goldneox Been here awhile

Oddometer: