1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL
  2. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a good thing there are not a lot of other choices besides the 790. KTM NA must be the red headed step child as every new model that comes out dealers are told spring time deliveries, but the new models ALWAYs show up in June.
    Why tell your dealers one date knowing that is not a real date? Isn't it funny how BMW has current model years on the dealer floor in time for nice spring time riding weather. Like I said lucky no one else has a comparable bike.
  3. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lucky for us the weather is all screwed up it seems more like fall here in NY
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. Skotniol

Skotniol n00b

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there is a chance to wear a 19-inch front and 17-inch rear spoke wheels from KTM 1190. The wheels are the same as in 1090, 1190, 1290. The problem is that the MTC will not freak out ? and the odometer will show incorrect display in distance and speed ? I'm thinking of this set as the second one for daily use and track days.

I think 790 ADV with 17inch will be a blast on road and on twisties :D
  5. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, there's a $100 KTM PowerPart orange plate that attaches to the back.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    :jack:jack:jack

The PP orange plate is already installed, but needs a software key programmed before it drops down into place...the software patch also ensures any overheating warnings are over ridden.
    KiwiPewe, Philthy1 and typeamark like this.
  7. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    I've received and installed my bag-of-choice today,
    I'll be good to go for my first RTW now :clap
    No?!

20190503_223007.jpg
    DRglidarn, Cigar, TrailTrauma and 5 others like this.
  8. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend in Washington state is first on the list at his local dealer and this afternoon they said July :(
    My hopes of a May delivery are rapidly starting to fade.
    ADVweekend likes this.
  9. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have more time to order farkles so they’re ready when the bike arrives...
    Or you have more time to put your pennies in a pile for the purchase...
    Or, you have more time to sell off all your junk to make room for a new whip...
    Or, yo have more time to build some technical riding skills so you can go shred this thing...
    Or...

It’s a bike we all want.
    Patience, grasshopper.
  10. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Or you just watch more videos while killing bags of chips and drinking beer:

11. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    So, I finally got to change the standard Adventure wind shield with the low R shield and compare the two. I am 5'10" / 177 cm. High seating position. Schuberth E1 with peak installed. In clean air the E1‘s peak is perfection, in turbulent air it will drive you mad.

Standard model stock wind shield (installed at the lower position): Buffeting noticeable, starting above 35 mph. Probably not overly annoying on helmets without a peak, but on the E1 it is unfortunately enough to cause the helmet’s peak to catch low frequency vibrations which from my experience will fatigue and annoy a lot in no time. It basically rattles and drones in your head all day long.

The helmet‘s ventilation did not work properly with the high screen as there was not enough airflow in front of the two chin vents. Riding in the rain, I had to stand up to get enough airflow to remove rain drops from the visor. Overall the standard screen simply is and looks very big.

R wind shield (installed at the higher position): With the R screen the turbulent air is still there, but it is now at the height of my lower neck where it does not trouble me at all. The helmet‘s peak is no longer droning and sits in clean air, perfectly useable and much more comfortable. No buffeting problems up to 80 mph (I did not go any faster). Wind protection still feels more than adequate for long distance riding.

Side benefits of the lower screen: Helmet vents are working as intended, bike looks much better, less chance of the wind shield mount rattling to pieces on rough surfaces.

Me on the first ride with the lower screen:
    8EBC819F-5293-485C-B3E4-9FD708B4E42B.jpeg
    DRglidarn, TrailTrauma and Rudderfeet like this.
  12. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
  13. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    I don’t know about the rest of the peanut gallery, but I’m most definitely keeping pocket cash for sorting the suspension.
    After, of course, shaking it down proper.
  15. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Having never owned a big bike without center stand, I do wonder: Am I supposed to leave the bushings for the rear wheel paddock stand permanently installed on the swing arm or should they only be installed when needed (e.g. for chain maintenance)?

My thinking: If I leave them on they could be sheared off or damage the threads on the swing arm in a drop. If I remove them the threads will clog up with dirt. :hmmmmmLeaving a screw installed in there would prevent the latter. Is there a better way?

BA34A25D-70A6-4283-ABCF-7AFD65AE1638.jpeg
  16. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While not all that common I have seen rear stand bobbins break their mounting point on the swingarms of track bikes. Another alternative is to go with a standard universal rear stand which is fine for most work. I just wouldn't recommend sitting on the bike while it's on this style stand because it is not locked in like a spool stand is.

pit_bull_standard_rear_stand_750x750.jpg
    Norduro likes this.
  17. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    KiwiPewe and ErGuss like this.
  18. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I do on my 701 is screw two M8 bolts on when using the stand and screw them off when I'm done.
  19. Adjustor

Adjustor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Topics are dying on here. We need bikes in the US to get the conversation jump started
    outbacktm likes this.
  20. adv-er

adv-er ...it's the journey

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lucky few might get their bike soon. I was at the demo day in Denver yesterday and spoke to the regional rep. He said they are still being told that bikes will start showing up this month but cautioned that there will be very few to go around. Second round will be this fall and will be 2020 models.
    Nowwhat likes this.