1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Adjustor, post: 37537484, member: 140926"pics are dying on here. We need bikes in the US to get the conversation jump started[/QUOTE]

Yes! So we can get all the "bugs" revealed and sorted out by the factory before I buy mine in November. :D
    kaivalagi and FlyLow like this.
  2. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my 790R has lots of bugs... smashed!
    Windscreen, Handguards... traces of death everywhere.
    Cigar, Salzig, ramjet and 1 other person like this.
  3. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heard the same yesterday from my dealer who historically has been pretty good nailing release dates. He’s sold 4. Expects 2 this month and 2 next month.. all sold. He’s got 4 standards coming in and NOBODY wants one. I’m now #1 on list for what hopefully is a 2020 R this Nov.
  4. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the way to go, thanks.

The bike is starting to come together, one sweet looking machine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    outbacktm, DRglidarn, Cigar and 7 others like this.
  5. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, future owner of the first (uh, cough, cough) chinese bike. :photog
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That debate won't ever die, LOL. I try to just call everything either "off-pavement" or "On pavement" anymore and leave it at that. I've seen trackless wilderness you could drive a Corvette over and named roads that would challenge a rock crawler.

It's either challenging or it isn't, and it's different for everyone. ;)
    hangry, Cigar, scott123007 and 5 others like this.
  7. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    If one wanted to look for ways to shave off unsprung weight, I'd consider removing one front disc. But, does this bike really need that much stopping power? Are they larger than the one on the 690?
  8. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Norduro screw in and leave in - I've had them on my 1090 for 2 yrs and now, swapped to the 790 and never had an issue.
  9. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    don’t care one way or the other where it comes from. That argument is yesterday’s news and irrelevant to me. My fortune cookie says I’m gonna get on my Chinese 790 and whip the shit out of my triumph and bmw buds across the Sonoran Desert...
    outbacktm, merc16, Cigar and 6 others like this.
  10. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    320mm discs
  11. j-nic

j-nic n00b

Oddometer:
    Along with the waiting, I’m still debating on the standard vs R...my riding will likely be a road biased 70/30 split, ‘off pavement’ riding being atv trails, orv parks and some hunting trails.

Being that the standard model may be obtainable easier, would it be more than sufficient for my use? Is there a concrete reason to spend the extra $ for more susp. travel in my case?

I know it’s subjective, but I like to hear thoughts on what y’all think the two models are geared toward.
  12. genericuser

genericuser n00b

Oddometer:
    The R is probably a better deal. Better design, adjustable forks for around 800€.

If you are challenged from a height perspective, still probably better to go for non R.

I am 172cm and have sat on the R, there is no way to get even one foot comfortable on the floor, without adjusting on the seat. We bought the 790 and it fits really well. Both feet are touching the ground. Feels quite nimble.
    Tenbikesail, alex2448 and j-nic like this.
  13. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its not height its inseam ... it will be a problem for me but ordered lower seat and will be able to do something
    Rudderfeet, FireDog45 and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    I agree. The R is absolutely worth the additional money (and waiting time), unless it feels too tall for you. I would have gladly payed the extra fee for the improved R suspension, but not for the additional seat height. So I went with the standard model. That said, both models will be fine for the use that @j-nic described.
  15. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more.
  16. StratfordJohn

StratfordJohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are there any brackets available for the GPS mount above the dash yet? Or anyone know of any vendors with them in development? I can’t seem to find anything online myself.

Thanks.
    Rodooo likes this.
  17. laserstandard

laserstandard n00b

Oddometer:
    https://www.ktmforum.eu/forum/thread/107086-navi-halterung/
    In German but translate with deep.com and you know exactly what they are saying.
  18. laserstandard

laserstandard n00b

Oddometer:
  19. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 10 days ago during a one week trip, in the morning after a rainy night, when I turned on my 790, a lot of smoke appeared in the area of the radiator (or underneath, can't tell).
    It disappeared in 10 seconds or so, so I did not worry much, assuming it was just water or mud drying with the engine heat (even though the smell was a bit strange, but I am on the optimistic side).
    No problems for the next 400 or 500 kms, until I reached my garage.

On the next day, just before leaving on a trip with another love of mine, I did notice a very little puddle under the bashplate.
    Water drying again? I cleaned everything and did put a piece of paper under the bike, to check later.

On the (high)way back from my 3 days trip (500km on road and 600 km "off-pavement and off-road", in North Spain, with fifteen Yamaha 600 Ténéré - that was real fun but sadly one rider and his bike didn't make it to the end of day 2), I was thinking, while my lovely 32 years old bike's engine was leaking oil, and while I was checking if all the parts of the bike - including the fuel tank - now attached with straps were staying in place (I did not go down once, so I can't imagine if I did…), that even though I did love my Ténéré, in the end, I was really happy I could ride again faster, harder, safer, more comfortable both on and off road – and less worried about the bike falling into pieces ! – on my brand new KTM !

… until I actually got home and noticed the wet piece of paper under my 790 Adventure (<3000km).

Damn it, there are all the same, was my reaction.

Fortunately it is not oil, looked like coolant. I checked the coolant level, and as far as I can see, the coolant tank is totally empty. But I can't see much (bike is not so clean…).
    I immediately called my dealer and asked for a appointment (Thursday). Before, I will take off the panel and "bashplate", to check if there is still coolant (if not I will add some to be able to reach the dealer…) and to try to find where the leak is coming from.

I will keep you posted.

Damn it…
    I am leaving for a 4 or 5000 km trip in less than 20 days…

Attached Files:

20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen anything for above the TFT display from KTM yet.

However I did run across KTMs GPS bar clamp mount (Part# 64112992033) and think I may go that route. Keeps the weight off the front assembly and I'm used to having the GPS in a similar position on all my other bikes where it stays out of harms way. If it interferes with my view of the TFT I'll have to come up with something else. Photo below is it mounted on a 790 Duke but it does fit the 790 ADV according to KTM.

Bar clamp GPS mount.jpg Bar mount KTM-790-Duke.jpg
    TrailTrauma and elron like this.