1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kateemer2

kateemer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What material did you print this?
    I tried it in PLA and as soon as I drilled the hole in the flange for the screw it broke or, maybe needs a thicker wall
  2. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    When I refer to dirt riding I always write 'off-tarmac' rather than 'off-road'. Much of the stuff I ride in both Spain and Morocco is dirt but also roads.

In Morocco they are called 'pistes' which like the French skiing term means a 'groomed track', normally something that is maintained by the locals when it gets washed away. Until a couple of years ago even the main N12 national road was piste in sections. The surface of these roads is whatever the geology has decided and a single piste may change surface from beaten earth, to gravel, to blasted rock, to sand, to grit and then to either loose or embedded stones, all within a few km.

Unless of course chippings that have been graded by passing over metal grids (where the expression 'metalled road' comes from) are brought it by truck. And then that's regarded as a 'Macadamised' road, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadam

The difference between a macadaminsed road and a sealed (normal) road is that for a sealed road, tar is mixed with the macadamised surface which lead to the expression 'tarmac'. Also referred to as asphalt, bitumen and, in French, 'goudron'.

My travel/medical insurance only covers me for riding on road and I have it written into my policy that this includes dirt roads. Which then of course means more or less everything. :-):-)

I agree that it becomes a road once it is regularly used and maintained, but in poorer areas there is no chance of grading or sealing—and sometimes no need anyway. In Morocco, dirt roads are traversed using ordinary cars and small trucks, the locals don't have expensive 4x4s. Branches are laid for traction when there's snow or mud.
  3. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did multiple version in PLA and I did not suffer any breakages while drilling with any of the versions. The settings I used to print make the flanges you drill into solid walls, with no filling inside. I used a power drill, at very slow speed, with a 4.5mm drill bit.

I haven't done it, but it would help if you put a piece of wood on the back while you are drilling to support the part.
  4. kateemer2

kateemer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, printer running again lets see what comes out this time :-)
    And what kind of ball locking thing is that? can't find it on the RAM mount website.
  5. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I would bet the answer is "no". :D
  6. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Any motorcycle is potentially an adventure motorcycle. It just needs a rider to take it on an adventure to become an adventure motorcycle. :lol3

But maybe you are referring to enduro, rally, dakar?
    hangry likes this.
  7. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Jakkie

Jakkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was the problem fixed? My front end feels like a pogo stick at 65km/h and my dealer are just shrugging their shoulders.
  9. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    alex2448 likes this.
  10. FireDog45

FireDog45 What should I do today...?

Oddometer:
    I really like the center stand for chain and tire maintenance as well using the legal speeding dolly to make storing in my overstuffed garage easier. I'm leaning towards something like the Enduro Star trail stand this time but nice to see that a center stand is an option if I find I "have" to have one.

http://www.endurostar.com/ts3_instr.htm
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  11. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    At the Brisbane Australia 790 launch and sat on the standard, sorry no pics of the R. The KTM reps said bikes due here late May early June and every dealer has been provided with a process to pull down the tanks and clean them before delivery in the event the crud issue becomes a problem. Good to see they're taking ownership of the issue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TrailTrauma and Philthy1 like this.
  12. DucSyd

DucSyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see them finally make it to Oz. I’m going to the Sydney launch this Friday.
    I have an R on order and supposed to be in the first shipment. Getting close now, just in time for our beautiful winter riding.
    Philthy1 likes this.
  13. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Actually, you shouldn’t pay much attention to opinions regardless - whether the bike is good or not for you is completely unrelated to what anyone else has to say in the matter :deal
  14. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    People choose what to do... if they like other people's opinions, that's with them, if they can discern bullshit from fact, good for them. If not, and they have not learned yet, but still have $ in their pockets, good for them!
  15. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be very worried those SW motech crash bars might bend badly and crush the tank, causing potentially worse damage than a fall. I'm curious to hear how it all holds up - I'd presume KTM tested the shit about dropping these bikes on their sides on all kinds of terrain. Wonder if there are PP options (centerstand, crash protection) available.
  16. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's going to be easy to justify any position to be honest. I see the fact that more than a dozen rider beat the snot out of those bikes in KTM's launch event and then a Great Race without a single tank puncture as proof that it's not going to be the weakest link for the vast majority of us. Also one of the reasons why I've ordered this bike is due to its relative low weight for what we're getting. Why throw another 30 lbs of steel onto the bike so it can act like a V-Strom, Tenere or AT? When I bought my DL650 years ago, I went right out and picked up crash bars, protective handguards, rear luggage racks, a bash plate, fork brace and several other farkles because it was well known by then what the weak spots were and how to compensate for the riding I planned to do. With the 790, I just don't see myself riding like Chris Birch or any of those dudes in the Great Race. What I do see if the need to keep it easy to manage in mild single-track and lift after low-speed goofs. Adding a bunch of steel goes against that goal.
    FireDog45, Venturer, Adjustor and 3 others like this.
  17. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    talked to my sales rap today and he tells me with KTM it might not even happen like that
    the bike can show up tomorrow and the invoice with it. he says that KTM are really bad when it comes to this.
    he also told me that he ordered parts and KTM are taking their time with that as well.
    he ordered an abs dongle and a 12v outlet and its been over a month.
    so i ordered today the combo switch the side racks so they get here with the bike or a little after (cross fingers).
    he said he doesn't know if its just ktm usa or just how the company is
  18. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    OK, we have a solution for this:
    1.JPG

Now we need someone to solve this:
    2.JPG

3-4 kg of mud make me need this:
    3.jpg

TBH the actual design of the swing arm is a collector
    and the micro fender just scrapes the mud into the groove...
    TrailTrauma, tonyubsdell and braaap! like this.
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mud is bloody evil! Especially when it's the very sticky, clay type...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just got to go around the mud puddles :)
    TrailTrauma and tonyubsdell like this.
  20. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    U Mud, Bro?!
    merc16 and braaap! like this.