KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While its true a tach in not required for day to day riding the information they supply can be useful. Detecting or confirming a shift in idle speed, or.perhaps knowing rather than guessing the motor is at the perfect rpm for a dragstrip launch if that's your thing. It's a potential aide in diagnostics as well.

Or heck, maybe just the enjoyment of watching the needle sweep across the guage is reason enough to put it on the 'Must have' list.

Yeah sure, I've had plenty of bikes without one and it not be a problem but for most of us motorcycles are about wants versus needs anyway. If the man wants a tach he wants a tach! Lol.

I mounted an hour meter tach combo to my fuel injected 250 to help keep an eye on idle speed because it starts and runs perfectly only when the idle is set within a fairly narrow 200rpm range. Get outside that range and its tougher to start. So yes, they have their place even on modern bikes.
  2. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if someone with an R could measure the amount of exposed front suspension stroke and the distance between the front tire and fender. I’m trying to determine if the forks could be slid up 10-20mm in the triple clamps without binding on anything.
  3. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I similarly put one on my Trials bike to calibrate *me* so I can tune for ambient conditions and know when I’m getting close to stall picking through tight sections in low RPM.
    windblown101 and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

If one need the controls to be lit in order to locate the right button it's probably about time to find another hobby :lol3
    cwk likes this.
  5. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yea but it looks cool as f**k:jack
    Anders-, stokerel, cwk and 3 others like this.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I don't care what anyone else thinks, that stock headlight is slick. Bright as hell, riders are reporting, so that diminishes the need to spend more $$ on aftermarket lighting off the hop.

Great selective focus on the last shot @Norduro
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yeah, even my lowly 390 Duke has the backlit handlebar controls. Probably sourced from the same bin. A complete surprise when I bought the bike. Don't need it but it does look cool at night!
  8. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, I don't want to be outdone here....my snowblower has a lighted hour meter which really comes in handy on those early mornings while I'm clearing the driveway.
    JP4, Norduro and 0405canvet like this.
  9. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made it home with a zip tie, but please don't do like me, and do check your gearbox linkage screws…

IMG_5782.jpg

Edit: Replaced the word Rislan with Zip Tie. Rislan is the brand name we use in french for zip ties.
    KiwiPewe, Velociraptor, 06Z and 2 others like this.
  10. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to sit on R and test ride non R version last week. I am 5’11” with long legs, not sure about inseem, 33” maybe, and I can flat foot both R and non R model when I’m wearing offroad boots. Standard version felt too small given my other bikes were 990 and 1250 GS.
    R should fit my riding style perfectly.
    Pretty impressed though with standard version capabilities off-road considering the weaker suspension and street tires. I wasn’t pushing it too hard because of the tires, but it felt light and nimble in the sand and around the corners.
    IMG_2524.jpg
    stokerel and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whats did you do exactly?
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Looks like the bolt that holds the shift linkage to the knuckle went walkabout.
  13. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, while I was passing a car… It was kind of a surprise to not be able to shift to 3rd. I stopped, used a zip tie to hold things together and baby sat the gear lever for a few kilometers to the next garage who not only gave me a 6mm bold but also cleaned the thread with a tap.

The reason I feel bad about it is that someone posted earlier in this thread that they found the same bold unscrewed, with the advice to check it. And stupidly I did not.
    DRglidarn, ErGuss, LocuL and 2 others like this.
  14. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With better tires the non R is extremely capable. Except suspensions, better than R.
    Lower center of gravity :jack

A picture from an hour ago

Attached Files:

stokerel, KiwiPewe, ErGuss and 3 others like this.
  15. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And what a beauty...
    I was trying to have a nap but I was mesmerized...

Attached Files:

ErGuss, Rudderfeet and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have a joke that no trip starts or stops until I have some shifter issue.

Year before last I snapped that bolt on my Multistrada, rigged it back together on the side of the road, killed the tires getting it home, and had to swap bikes for an overnight even the next day. The way back I had a piece of the rear set on my KTM snap off..luckily there are (were) 6 holes back there, so I changed holes locktite the crap out of it and road like a mad man to catch up to the gang. Make it 500km or so later and then the locktite dried, and froze the hiem and backed the fucking bolt back out of the rear set so once AGAIN I am on the side of the road screwing with the thing.

Next year same ride next year we are pregaming in the hills over the start and I notice the shifter getting hard to make move down on a GP shift bike.......once again, the locktited nylock bolt had backed out and the thread was the only thing allowing me to shift.

I now carry a nearly full set of rearset/shifter hardware in my tankbag :lol3
    stokerel, ErGuss and TrailTrauma like this.
  17. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    You French just have to invent your own words for everything, don't you? :D

I have read about the same bolt falling out on a German board as well, multiple cases. Will check it ASAP. Thanks for reminding us.
  18. Gurringo

Gurringo n00b

Oddometer:
    Mitas E07 in the rear?
  19. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! Front too.
    Perfect for my kind of riding.
    Very good everywhere, on and offroad (exept in sand and sticky mud of course).
    Not expensive and relatively durable.
  20. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well my trusty 1290 SAR went in the shipping van today to a new owner, so now I wait for the 790r to arrive. Will have to make do with my new Ducati Hypermotard 950 SP:) Should be OK for a few weeks. Local dealer told me they were getting 5-6 790r models and I am 5 on the wait list. Hope he was telling the truth!
    BDO and TrailTrauma like this.