1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear man. Did you pick your up already? I'm in Ont and still awaiting my bikes arrival. :((

PS: I too enjoy the aesthetics of the Akrapovic can on the 790. Seems a tad long on the duke, but the 790 is perfect. Some cans look a wee bit small; almost too small.

I'd like to know if we can drill open the OEM can, and remove a DK or some such baffle. Sure we loose a little but I don't plan on racing mine anytime soon. For now, as long as I'm assured I'm not going to be running lean, I'd like to try. I suppose I could even cut it shorter while I was at it. If I like it I may send it all to my ceramic coater. Black that sucker right out.
    ibgary likes this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thats a great photo. Thanks for posting up :)
  3. niksami

niksami Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading yesterday about guy who cracked his 790 engine because of the right foot peg, I was curious and took a deeper look at the pegs on my 790R.
    Yes, it is true that right footpeg carrier at one place is mounted to the engine (as engine is indeed stressed member in this chassis config) but no way standing and jumping with your bike can damage the engine just because of that mounting point.
    Guy that has that issue had 99% hit something hard with his right peg while driving, so basically most of the 790 riders can be calm regarding that “design flaw”...
    ibgary, goldneox, DRglidarn and 7 others like this.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Remember this is the 790 thread, so if compared to another bike the 790 needs to come out on top, ok? :lol3
  5. mtlgabe

mtlgabe n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, picked up yesterday! Got the standard, not the R, but my dealer got 2 Rs last Friday and then another R and a couple standards on Monday. I was the first to take delivery; absolutely love it so far! For the moment gonna hold off on the exhaust since I wanna save my change up and get some luggage racks / boxes for it first, but after that I will consider it. Won't be drilling any holes though; Quebec police are on the warpath this year about exhaust loudness and in any case I find the stock can has an actually decent volume to it.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Just for clarity, when I mentioned drilling I was referring to drilling out the rivets to get inside. Once in there, see if a baffle can be removed or even modified, and then once happy, rivet it back together.

Enjoy your new bike! :beer
    ibgary likes this.
  7. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking the same thing yesterday! Although I'm pretty sure I'll get a Wings, Arrow, or similar at some point, so I'd probably just try to black it out myself. I'm thinking a dark charcoal, almost black.

Has anyone actually seen pictures of the engine that was damaged? All I've seen so far are pictures of another 790 engine pointing out where the damage would be. Don't get me wrong, I believe it happened, but it seems strange that we (I) haven't seen pictures of the actual damage yet.
    Rudderfeet and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone explain to me how the F you can check this in a easy way? Because my cain looks really loose, and I'm not sure how to measure it when I read the owners manual??

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 22.42.54.png
    ibgary likes this.
  9. niksami

niksami Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t bore much about chain tension... As you have chain guide on 790, better to be loose than tight... It won’t slip even if too lose...
    ibgary, jacinto, limey1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaaahh good to know! Cheers mate :-D
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    On my HOG I ceramic coated the pipes and it's just what you mentioned - a darker grey. Here's a shot of it from an hour ago, for reference. I chose ceramic coating so it could handle the heat:

20190605_150008.jpg
  12. limey1

limey1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just received an Email with the Vin number for the R should be ready next week. GP bikes in Ajax Ontario.
    Rudderfeet, mtlgabe and TrailTrauma like this.
  13. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two discs up front?! You better make double sure not to touch the front brakes!
    chippertheripper and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Now there’s some bad advice.
    While it won’t hurt to have a little too loose chain, of course it needs to be kept in spec.
    hubilado likes this.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Reading that it sounds like you want the top portion of the chain taunt to begin with, and then you take lower chain, and in the position they indicate, you flatten out and raise up those 2 links with your thumb while then measuring the gap ('A'). You need to have 2-5mm gap there.
    ibgary and Anders- like this.
  16. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

What don’t you understand?
    Lift the rear wheel and measure according to the instructions?
  17. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    012993B3-1744-4CA2-8389-7B0A98F96A1C.jpeg

I picked up my 790R yesterday in North Georgia. Rode from the dealership straight into the National Forest nearby. Covered about 80 miles in total in a combination of twisty paved country roads and relatively easy dry gravel forest service roads.

FYI, I am 60 years old and have been riding dirt bikes my whole life. I got into adventure riding with a 2005 KTM 950 which I put 50k miles on. It was replaced with a 2015 KTM 1190R which I have ridden 30k miles (16k miles on a trip to Arctic Circle on Dempster in Canada and Haul Road in Alaska last year). I am buying the 790R based on a desire to try a mid-sized adventure bike that will be easier to manhandle and be fun on my typical local day-rides in mixed conditions, I weigh 180 pounds and have a 29” inseam. So, seat height and bike weight matter to me, although I have come to love the 1190R despite its considerable size and weight.

Observations after initial ride on the 790R:

Right off the bat, it looks and feels like a hybrid between an 1190R and a KTM 690. (Closer to the adventure bike side than dirt bike side of the equation.) I can move the 790R around the parking lot much easier than my 1190R. It is clearly lighter. Seat height is about 1 inch lower than the 1190R. It is still pretty tall but fine to me. Steering lock is noticeably better than 950 and 1190, so tight turns are easier. The overall quality is typical KTM (quality fit and finish), however, I did note that the controls, brakes, etc. might be cheaper than some other models in order to keep price competitive. I didn’t see anything that worried me re. quality yet.

Engine:
    Power is different from both the 950 and 1190; really smooth, revs fast but not a brutish (fun) powerhouse like an 1190.
    Plenty of power for street and off-road unless you spend a lot of time above 80mph. (It will easily break 100 mph though.)
    It isn’t a torque monster but pulls smoothly from around 3500 RPM without drama. (My 1190R doesn’t like to lug either.)
    It does feel like a nice street-based engine. Not a complaint; just an initial observation. Really smooth and revvy but not as exciting as a v-twin.
    The cable clutch has an easy pull but a narrow engagement range as others have noted. Not an issue for street or most off-road. However, in first-gear, slow, technical riding, the narrow clutch engagement range will require more care than I prefer. Not a deal breaker though.
    The bike seems to have the quick-shifter installed from factory. It does shift instantly without blipping throttle.
    I went straight to Rally mode and did not try the other settings on the first ride.
    In Rally mode, the bike will wheelie quickly with throttle in first gear (no clutch). I played with traction control settings, and found that it would lift the front wheel in a wide range of TC settings (Rally mode only).
    You can change the TC settings on the fly by simply pushing the up/down arrows on the handlebar switch. The 1-10 TC setting range is great, and the settings make a difference but I am still learning the system. I tried setting 8 (more interference) and setting 3 (less interference) on an uphill washboard gravel forest service road, and the bike was hopping badly under throttle in the more intrusive setting. I then tried TC setting number 3 while on the fly. I liked setting 3 the best. I could power slide the rear end in setting 3, and it felt safe, fun and fast. (You can wheelie in either setting too.)
    The throttle-by-wire allows for precise and instant response. In Rally mode, it’s almost too abrupt when going really slow in technical sections, especially with the narrow clutch engagement range. Other modes may tame this a bit. I will experiment.

Suspension:
    Feels firm and well set up for the bike. Allows for excellent street handling and confidence off-road. None of the typical adventure bike mushy feel.
    Suspension components are top notch. I won’t rush to do anything to the suspension until I have put a lot more miles on the bike. I would say it is the best stock adventure bike suspension that I have experienced.

Other:
    Seat feels fine. My knees are more bent than on a 950 or 1190.
    I didn’t have any wind buffeting but will probably use my removable windscreen spoiler on any long street rides.
    The dashboard screen font is a little small for my eyes... The fuel gauge seems to be giving varying readings and is a little hard to read.
    I will order bar risers. I think it needs another inch.
    I have ordered the Wings exhaust. (I love my Wings exhaust on the 1190.) The stock 790 exhaust note is pretty subdued.
    The storage compartments under the side panels are easy to get to but are small. (The tool pouch barely fits.)
    Lights seem much better than stock 1190.
    The low slung fuel tank is a really neat concept. I didn’t notice the extra lower width when riding, and the narrow width at the seat and tank is very nice.
    I like the high front fender. Low fenders are trouble waiting to happen if you get into mud. (Ask me how I know.)
    The license plate holder is small and short!
    The 790 doesn’t seem to have a tire pressure readout on the dash like the xx90s.

Overall, I like the 790R. It fits me physically better than the 950 or 1190 did, and fills a gap between the 690 and XX90s. For long-distance adventure trips, the xx90s will still be king for most people (and big v-twin power is intoxicating). However, I would not hesitate to ride a loaded 790 on a long adventure trip. When the going gets tight and rough, the 790 will definitely be a better tool for many riders. I plan to put more miles on it in the coming weeks.

Here is a quick video from the first ride:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...20D/B03F91B5-E88C-45D7-B63A-515D3E0D4830D.mp4
  18. niksami

niksami Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a brand new bike it will be in specs between service intervals, just ask guys at the dealership to have a look when you come for service (except if you cover big mileage with fully loaded bike and do poor chain maintenance)... I agree that on 790 is a bit confusing checking the tension, especially that you need to have center stand or lifting gear, which we don’t have by default...
    So having in mind that 790 has either 200/240mm rear shock travel, chain has to look loose when on side stand unloaded... adding the fact that you also have chain guide on your new bike, chain tension is very low on my priority lists to check so often... Just relax and enjoy your ride...
    petew likes this.
  19. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this with the wheel off the ground! Talk about something no easy to check on the road without a centerstand…

And thanks for the clarifications: the en manual is ridiculously bad!
    ibgary, TrailTrauma and niksami like this.
  20. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer: