KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice setup @Rudderfeet! What length RAM arm are you using there?
  2. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I send an ask to our contact at KTM, he replied today, 100% made in Austria in 2020.
  3. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It’s a short arm, I think 2” socket to socket. Interestingly I found I can just barely tuck the top of the arm under the R’s windscreen in its high position for extra support. It’s pretty solid in there but I’d likely remove the GPS unit itself if I was going into really very rough terrain to avoid stressing the set.
    BruceWayne likes this.
  4. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah you have the "Volvo driver" special edition
  5. VintageThumper

VintageThumper Gotta ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dead battery: Rode the bike 20 miles to work. Shut it down. Turned the Ign switch to the fork lock position. Came out 8 hours later and the battery was down to 5.6 volts and she wouldn't turn over. Jump started it. The indicator showed about 14 volts, rode home and when I arrived I shut it down and re-started it a few times without problems. Wondering what happened. Since the system is charging and the battery is taking and holding a charge, I'm thinking there must have been an electrical draw happening. On a Triumph Thruxton I had, you had to be careful when locking the forks because there were two possible positions, and one of them activated a parking light which could draw the battery down. But I don't see anything in the manual about a parking light on the 790. Have others experienced problems like this? Or might you have some insight to share?
  6. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure your head light turns off. Mine has stayed on a couple of times after turning it off and removing the key.. So I always look when I walk away..
  7. VintageThumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. It’s a good possibility, because it seems like there must have been an abnormally high draw on the battery today.
  8. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does it fit with the windscreen in the low position?
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Is there a relay for the headlight? I used to have an old Lancia Beta that I had to smack the hood on when I got out of the car to turn the lights off because the relay would stick.
  10. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure, it only has done it 2 times to me. Once in the garage and I saw it right away..
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to one day, purchase one of those slim as a paperback jumper/USB chargers. The other thing that might be good, which I installed on some of my trucks, is a battery disconnect (if you don't care about an alarm). I flip the switch on my old truck, and it sits for 7 months into the -50C winter, and in spring or summer I flip the switch back and she fires up instantly. My old viper alarm used to kill it in days.

And definitely a good reminder to connect GPS units which stay on the bike to the ignition hot ACC, not the always hot.
    Fabricator and stokerel like this.
  12. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    This can happen if you switch the bike off while it is still rolling / at speed, the headlight will stay active. Maybe some sort of road safety regulation thing, but not so safe for the battery.
  13. VintageThumper

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it, I switched the key off while rolling to a stop in the parking lot. I just took it out and tested this, and 4 out of 4 tries, the headlight stayed on when I turned off the key while still rolling. Yet another nanny feature with the potential to screw us up! This one cost me 45 minutes and payment for a jump start :dirtdog
  14. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, but not as perfectly tucked in.
  15. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, is there any way to make offroad mode also switch abs to offroad mode? And then street mode to also switch abs back to street mode? I checked my manual and I don't see any way to do this but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. It is annoying that every time I switch between a paved and unpaved road, I have to switch 2 separate settings, there's too much scrolling in the menu and pressing buttons involved.
    ibgary likes this.
  16. niksami

niksami Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently it is like that.
    Yes, it is annoying, they should at least ask if you switch to offroad mode to change abs too.
  17. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Humph. I'm thinking when I ride offroad (which to me is just gravel/dirt roads) I should just switch abs to offroad and leave ride mode in street. As long as I have the ability to skid the rear brake is all that's important.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  18. JT11

JT11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I printed mine the same way as yours and it sheared off along the print layer at the base of tabs at the first drop of the bike. I replaced the printed tabs with aluminum brackets I had in my parts-bin. So far that has held up well.
  19. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got the phone call that my bike is in.
    ibgary, nhbubba, gulfcoaster and 5 others like this.
  20. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Did you print it yourself? I never had issues with the tabs. What wall size did you use? The tab are 3mm wide, you need a minimum 1.5mm wall size to make the tab a solid non hollow piece. My settings are 3mm wall size and 70% fill, nothing bulged, and I dropped the bike more than once…