KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer is flushing all the tanks on their 790’s.
  2. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couple of questions...... where would that dealer be? And, is that being done because they have received some direction (from other than the owner) to do so?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since the cruise control switch is back ordered, Anyone think the cruise control switch from the 1290 might work on the 790 ???
  4. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area. They found one contaminated of the three they’ve cleaned so far. Not sure if it was a directive from KTM or preventative measure initiated by dealership.
    Rudderfeet and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. hubilado

Oddometer:
    If you're inclined to inquire, it would be of service to many other buyers (now owners) to know what prompted the cleaning.
    BDO and TrailTrauma like this.
  6. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    All the Aussie delivered bikes had tanks flushed at the dealer and Unifilter installed.

Threw the old GL fandango tank bag on before it's maiden voyage into the dirt.
    Great fit, but same issue as always- I grip the seat/tank when standing right where the strap buckles are.
    Been 'gunna' modify the strap, but always sumfin else to do.

20190616_092231.jpg

PS. Tank clean was a directive from factory to clean-out the moulding waxy stuff that has been clogging filters in the early delivered bikes in Europe/UK.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM issued dealers a notice to inspect the tank for residue and if present to flush the tank as part of pre-delivery. There is a picture of the notice posted on FB.

My dealer here in Va flushed mine as part of pre-delivery as it was the first 790 they received. I was present for the process and it appeared to have very little residue in it. They have recieved others that were spotless. None of the ones they have been shipped were anywhere near as bad as some of the first Euro models as far as I know.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  8. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my experience last Friday as well. Full tank, no floating residue, nothing speckled to the inner walls and nothing suspended when examined with a ridiculously bright flashlight.
    windblown101 and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. hubilado

Oddometer:

As I mentioned in the post above (hubilado, 45 minutes ago#11376), it is becoming (almost) apparent that not all dealers received such a notice and if not, was the posted document issued for various VIN #'s or tank lots? Perhaps it's irelavent, once the bike is started either is sucking gunk or it isn't, but the issue seems (to me) somewhat clouded (pun only partially intended). Was there widespread dealer notification or was is sportatic and what form did the notification actually take; a bulletin, a letter, a telephone call? It seems (again to me) that the above posted document is more intended for the service staff preping the bike rather than a general delaer notice. If anyone can shed a bit more light on this it would be helpful.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Amongst her sisters and brothers
    IMG_1286.jpg
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah missed your post...

[​IMG]

That's a photo my dealer took of the notice from KTM that he printed off from their online dealer portal (watch out for that dog, he pisses on truck tires... LOL).

I would defer to his knowledge on the subject rather than speculate. I know he was a bit frustrated by the online rumor mill, conspiracy theories, and false information flying around the internet regarding the fuel tank which may be what caused him to photograph and post it. The document in question is straight from KTM and available to dealers through their online portal to print out, as he did. It's not a recall and it seems pretty clear.

The information is available to all dealers online and the instructions are specific about what to do if a problem is found. What more is there to say? If a particular dealer is unaware of the notice that would be a question for them to answer as to why without some wild speculation being involved.
    Cybsal, Jaimoto, Migolito and 2 others like this.
  12. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Perfect; just what I was hopeing to learn. Thanks and Thanks to your dealer for the effort.
    windblown101 likes this.
  13. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching
  14. CrazyCole

CrazyCole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I noticed today both my 790’s do not have bolts in the tank protectors that screw up from the bottom.
    I checked the bikes when I pick them up last week for the bracket on the splash shield and I looked inside the tanks but I never noticed these bolts till today. Can anyone else confirm that there are supposed to be bolts in there and could someone maybe take a picture of what bolt goes in there so I can email the dealer.

Attached Files:

15. Oceandiving954

Oddometer:
    Mine only came with one bolt, since I did my first service on my own I could confirm that. Dealer had notes on several of his 790 stock with missing bolts/ wrong fairing / wrong colored hand guards...
  16. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the missing rubber 'bolts' attaching the crash guards not installed on my 1290 SAR
  17. Oceandiving954

Oddometer:
    I will recommend this again as its been stated before, take out your 2 shifter bolts and loctite them...one of mine was on its last thread after 400 miles..
    tshansen, TrailTrauma and Rudderfeet like this.
  18. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both are present in mine, and yes, the manual shows them being part of removal and reassembly of the tank protectors.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  19. CrazyCole

CrazyCole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I’ll email dealer. There have been nasty storms here last few days so no riding.
  20. hubilado

Oddometer:
    Part # 76011270100
    https://www.ktm-parts.com/76011270100.html

I couldn't find specific references to other (than 790) models, but the above site makes no distinction for model type. I'm guessing it's same switch for all models offering that function.
    The_Eccentric and TrailTrauma like this.