KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plenty of non R’s for sale it seems.
  2. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had them on my GS for less than 500km. Tractinators were howling like air raid sirens at 70kmh and above not only on tarmac but also on hard packed dirt and gravel. I could stand the noise but I wasn’t impressed with grip and traction in deep sand and loose gravel, they tend to lose the front end too much.
  3. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked Cycle Trader here in US, out of the 131 for sale, only 56 are non R.
  4. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but cycle trader and other websites usually pull vin data from manufacturers not dealers and throw the listings up to their sites with no confirmation that bikes (or cars) are physically on the ground at the dealership. They can be: in transit, pre-sold, sold, not available, etc.

It’s a good way to advertise but a poor glimpse as to if the vehicle is even in the state or dealership listed.

I determined years ago when shopping new and used cars that seeing an actual (non stock) photo of the vehicle was a good hint that they at least had the vehicle in stock.

My dealer got 5 R’s which are all pre-sold and I think 6 non-R’s which I’m not sure he’s sold any. Typical KTM inventory planning.
  5. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, battery is a matter of voltage (12 no doubt), minimum necessary power, size available (no problem for lithium), and ...price.
    price is the limit, for vehicle manufacturers for sure, maybe not for us, users. Your choice , no upper limit in power. Good ride !
  6. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say your theory though would be challenged as my dealership sold all 4 R and all 3 Non R's if your justifying a big picture... No doubt majority of R was pre sold however!
  7. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe my sample size is too small going by my local dealers inventory. But I thought it was more representative since I’m in a large metro area with seven people on the list for R’s that are not getting them and non-R’s siting there that those same folks don’t want to buy.

Wonder how hard or pricey it would be to upgrade the non R to an R?
  8. Subaruvich

Oddometer:
    I just received an offer from my dealer for standard model upgrade with Xplor Pro suspension. They quoted 17K € without quick shifter and cruise. They have 2 standard bikes on the floor and delivery time for suspension in 10 days.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  9. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was your dealer's price on the R?
    hgwilliam likes this.
  10. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got an R, it's in at my dealership, I've got a deposit down on it, if anybody's interested let me know, I don't think I'm going to take it... Chicago Illinois
    Oceandiving954 and Migolito like this.
  11. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on this question as well. I did some rough numbers for me and since I like what the non r has (windshield, seat) it made sense to do the non r then upgrade suspension. But that was rough numbers, couldn’t get the exact numbers on WP XPLOR suspension cost. Used another companies suspension upgrade for the calculation.
  12. Subaruvich

Oddometer:
    12700€ for standard and 13800€ for R. Those are prices without quick shifter and cruise control.
    They would give some small discount on standard bike. Xplor Pro forks are ~3100€ and Xplor Pro rear shock is ~1700€.
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealer just called..... 24 hours.....
  14. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma and Oceandiving954 like this.
  15. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Droping a bomb here :1drink, if you are curious how hardluggage looks at the beast. Get the feeling on how to destroy a trail tool like this :D. I was thinking that it could be cool to be able to opt between hard and soft luggade. I seldom need more luggage capacity than 22 or 35 litres Ortlieb drybag. However good to have at luggage chat! Should i leave the Scaffolding on the bike or get rid of it...? If i go with the Motonaut Soft Rack i could even get tid of the plastic rear rack.
    tshansen and Oceandiving954 like this.
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adding weight sometimes just can't be helped...as an example....I am one of those guys that has to have a Scott's damper.....heavy duty tubes and real tires....uggh...

On this build though...I am going to do silly stuff....mostly cuz it entertains me....I have 50+ titanium bolts...its not the weight...its the lack of corrosion....I am trying to figure out what it is going to cost to redo the entire subframe in aluminum........that one is a tough one....I suspect the pro suspension internals will be lighter...stamped steel vs aluminum....

My skid plate will hopefully be HDPE over the existing plate....the keyed ignition will be gone...hopefully the seat lock as well....my SE would do a stoppie with one caliper so.....that's all I need on this bike....

Really curious to see how much lighter my new fairing is versus the stock....just want the weight without fuel to start with a 3.....hahahahaa...
    06Z likes this.
  17. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did 4500kms on a set of tractionator Rallz in Spain and Portugal on the TET route.. Excellent tyre off road and not bad at all on dry slab.. I did about 100 kms on wet tarmac and they seemed fine but I didn't push them. I wear ear plugs and the were a little noisy but not more than you'd expect from a 80/20 tyre..
    The_Eccentric and DRglidarn like this.
  18. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great news! Picking my 790r up on Saturday! Was getting worried I was going to miss out on the first round of bikes. Ordered the quickshifter, heated grips, and cruise control. May take awhile to get them ordered and on the bike, but it's summer so heated grips not pressing. Neither cruise control. Mainly want the quick shifter and that should be ready when I pick up the bike.
    MCforFun likes this.
  19. Adjustor

Adjustor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM'd you
  20. niksami

niksami Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most important is how it looks to you...

But in my opinion, this particular Zega cases look awful on 790R... Stainless steel rails too... And looks like it can cause some rear end wobbling at higher speeds...
    DRglidarn likes this.