KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was wondering if I-90 Motorsports has seen any of the 790 ADV's yet - they state that they are the largest volume KTM dealer in WA State. I picked mine up in Olympia last Saturday. They were sent two R's, and I was number two. I asked who got the first one, and I was told a lady from Wenatchee got it.

Regarding tank sludge - it was the first thing I checked when I approached the bike with the key and it showed no residue at all... The guy that walked me through the bike features was the senior KTM tech, and he said that he had seen nothing from KTM directing them to check the tank for FOD and/or clean as required.

I also entered into the discussion regarding the spark arrester (SA) concern, and he was unaware of anything that would validate the stock exhaust as being USFS SA approved. He checked the stock muffler and confirmed it would not pass any kind of 'poke check'.

The emails I sent to the USFS SA guy with the stock muffler markings and the inquiry to the KTM USA office in CA about the stock mufflers meeting SA requirements (see post # 11124)... not a peep... and I sent second requests on Monday.
    TrailTrauma and Rudderfeet like this.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am hearing the Pro suspension is still just 240mm?....you hearing the same?
  3. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations to all the 790 owners to date and those forthcoming. It’s been a wait for sure, but that’s due to a brilliant marketing strategy by KTM, something they are clearly getting the hang of. To all our Vendors out there, you all rock and we are depending on your expertise as you are our money to make stuff fit better, work better, and protect better. This bike is going to destroy the middleweight adv market in the off road segment. It might get beat on slab by other manufactures, but as soon as the front tire hits dirt the competition will have nothing for this bike.
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I read 270?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are correct!

CABD0BD9-1EDE-406F-BBE1-6D8A5A16919D.jpeg
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Fabricator

Oddometer:
    The 790 ADV R Rally is a perfect case in point - wet everybody's whistle with the initial 790 ADV S/R release, then throw the R Rally at us... :clap:clap

From what I can see, it is a 'stock' R with the hi-buck suspension, with a select group of KTM Power Parts added - add some plastic and graphics, then make it a limited edition of 500 units - brilliant!!

I will start the MSRP lottery here - I say $20,499 USD.
    TrailTrauma and oldfuddy like this.
  7. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want to know if it’s coming to North America. I suspect not. Either way, we can build our own, that’s what makes it cool too.
    Velociraptor and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything I read said 270 and the Rally will be but now I am hearing the pro suspension available to us is 240. Brake line length...kick stand etc.... dumb
  9. Fabricator

Oddometer:
    That would not be a surprise (not coming to NA), with the official release taking place in Bosnia.... If it's de-catted and re-mapped, I have to change my MSRP guess to $24,499 USD. :D:D
  10. VintageThumper

VintageThumper Gotta ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think I might wait until bottoming my R's suspension out becomes a big problem before I start worrying about more travel.
  11. Fabricator

Oddometer:
    At my age (61), the stock ADV R will certainly be more bike than I am rider... I just wanted something that can do slab, logging roads and jeep trails comfortably while in retirement, and if I find some easy single track I want to explore, I can do so.

I will NOT be attempting to ride the Juniper Ridge trail or any of the other technical trails I have ridden in the Gifford Pinchot & Okanagon-Wenatchee National Forests with this thing... :D:D:D
  12. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yet another corporate ploy to sell the Rally.... Paging Konflict and Powercell to the Orange courtesy phone...
  13. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went to do the paperwork on mine today and asked about the Rally. They were aware and not confident in getting one before the end of next year. Gonna wait for Xplor upgrade and hopefully not hit the limit on the R suspensions.
    I know we are all excited about the release but it's the same for this :
    [​IMG]
    TrailTrauma and oldfuddy like this.
  14. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is coming from I90. I was 5th on the list a few months ago and when I called today I was 3rd so they must have gotten at least 3 bikes. I talked with Spencer and he told me he had literally put my name on one of the bikes. This is the 3rd KTM I have bought from them. They are a big operation and sell a lot of stuff but I have had good experiences with them overall and the work they have done on my bikes has been fine.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Radioactive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trust me you'll have far more lovers. You're a asset to our community! Your website is brilliant buddy. :beer
    The_Eccentric and sknx like this.
  16. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic resource! Thank you!
    oldfuddy likes this.
  17. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my 790 today!! Gonna put the tiger on ADV this week, sweet bike!!
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  18. Mr D Hertz

Mr D Hertz Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "What do you do when it’s a rain day? Swap the seats and rear panels between the S and the R! LOL
    She wanted to try the R seat so we swaps seats. She likes the R seat"

Love that R seat on the standard 790 Adventure! That combo looks better than either stock color.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  19. macaw1us

macaw1us Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a bike and maybe never will, but this is very nice of you to take the time and effort to do it.
    Thank You
  20. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone who’s taken delivery and added quickshift or cruise been charged labor for those add ons??

Is it possible for them to activate the cruise even though the handlebar switch isn’t available? I don’t feel like paying another $140/hour labor rate for them to add the switch when it arrives. Was hoping they could activate both quickshift and cruise now and save a few labor $$ and install the switch myself.

Just trying to get set my expectations as my dealer is totally clueless - a trip there yesterday and again today and it seems, sales, parts and service have never sold a bike like this before.

Sales guy Yesterday: ‘Your bike is ready today!”

Service guy yesterday: ‘come back Thursday we still have to flush the tank’

Sales guy today: “you’re bike is ready!”

Service guy today “ we haven’t unlocked it yet”

Me: “did you add the quickshift and cruise?”

Sales guy: “not yet... “

Me: “I guess it’s not ready then?? “

Sales guy: “ummm...’

The_Eccentric and TrailTrauma like this.