KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 790r for testing, few hours. Tank full, i'm 205lbs with gear.
    I didn't check the settings, the fork was very smoooth, very comfy, but quite bottoming just with a hard braking. Way too soft for me.
    as the bike is in the low-high weight range, you feel very secure on tracks, lot less shaking or bumps feeling than with a 690, a little more than with the 600 lbs panzer bmw 12gs. Then comes the speed on the "flying carpet", and at 100mph on a small (closed) country road, with an entire section of little potholes, I had a big wooble / tank slapper... the bike stayed in line (hey, it's a Ktm), but I nether seen that before with no other bike. Tried with the 690, a bit stressful but no steering shake, then with the panzer BMW (adv 2009 full heavy geared no stabilizer), no nothing happened but twice the distance to stop.
    For me both the fork and stabilizer need upgrade. Ride safe you guys.
    20190601_114213.jpg
    The_Eccentric and Subaruvich like this.
  2. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bottoming out the fork on hard braking? Seriously? I've done hard breaking and I'm miles away from bottoming the fork. And I'm heavier than you. I suspect you should have checked the suspension settings, something is very wrong there.
  3. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABS user question: ABS in offroad mode the ABS doesnt interfer with the rear wheel and you can lock it and thats great.
    When i use the front brake ONLY, i sense the ABS kick in quite early, and maybe to much for me liking.
    When i use the front brake AND the rear brake in combination its feels like the front ABS is much more effective, and i stop much faster.

Is it only in my head ? or have somebody similar experience??
  4. OzBooster

OzBooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    222 I read a couple of guys have experianced headstem bearings being a little loose , this could cause a headshake in the conditions you describe
    macaw1us likes this.
  5. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Great work Art! This is appreciated.
    typeamark likes this.
  6. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, didn't check the settings, but drive in 1st, stand up, little throttle then grab the brake => approx 2inches travel remaining ? Maybe I'm disrupted by the 690 hard fork or the always leveled bmw telelever.
    For me it's way too soft for a bike that goes easy 80mph on a track. Anyway I never had this kind of front wobble with any bike, even with shitty settings or with a blown seal (oil out) on my 640 adv. But honestly I don't ride this speed, just to check. The 790 was brand new (1000km), same as 690, the 1200 BMW has 170k km rear shock and front is 100k km. No steering dampener, no shaking.
    So be wise when reaching offroad high speed, this bike is so punchy and effortless.
    Picture of the whale/panzer vs the wonderful light 790 (lucky guy you are !)
    20190620_122430.jpg
  7. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    790R Available,
    I will keep my deposit a few more days -
    Tampa Fl area, I might be able to assist with transportation.

- Kevin.
  8. ErGuss

ErGuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a real work of Art!
    Venturer and [Art] like this.
  9. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    some were asking about this so....from facebook
    Untitled.jpg
  10. winn442

winn442 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, there are two standard models in stock at Cycle Specialty in Fayetteville, GA
  11. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got an answer ?

- did you pay labor for the software install of your quickshift or cruise? How much and can the cruise be installed without the switch??
  12. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes you have to pay for the software and if you install the cc without the switch the cc light will flash
    i paid about a grand for the parts and software (software:cc,qs parts:combo switch and side racks) and 600 for the labor of all the above
  13. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mines up in the table right now having software downloads, I’ll know tomorrow. I was advised to wait until I have the switch for cruise control to get the software. But I think they just wanted to keep my business.
  14. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i negotiated, i paid 100 for labor on QS, RP, and CC. the only time truly needed will be running CC thru front light, i did it already myself for the Euro signals. paying msrp was plenty for the dealer plus the software updates are pure profit.
    The_Eccentric and Yukon Ho! like this.
  15. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So which was it, 2 inches of travel left or you bottomed it, those will feel different
  16. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get the bike flashed for CC and install the switch later. The CC light will flash until the switch is attached and synced. To sync, follow the procedure in the FAQ: https://790adventure.net/electrics-electronics/cruise-control/
  17. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any solution for us that don't want the quickshifter? My dealer tried as stated before to reload the software several times with no luck? It looks like the only way is to go for the quick shift software and turn it off in the menu.
  18. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your dealer should raise the issue with KTM. You should not have to pay for QS just to be able to turn it off. Seriously.

This said, I installed QS because I knew I can turn it off, and in fact I never ever turn it off. Even on rough TT terrain.
  19. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If everyone hasn't been following rottweiler performance on Instagram.. you may want to take a look .

Some cool progress...

My bike goes there tomorrow
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer: