KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reliability and mpg/range too.

Don't think weight will be that big differentiator and if you look at big KTM twins they are not exactly head and shoulders above AT, Japanese are more than capable building good off-road bike.
    Montana Maniac and Hatori like this.
  2. Hatori

Hatori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Reliability and mpg/range too" forgot about that.
    I personally think weight will be a factor as KTM has promised "Lightness that’s off the scale" at least for the 790 Duke. I don't see why they would deviate from this on the Adv model.
    Benduro and DesertSurfer like this.
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Lightness that's off the scale? Nice wordsmithing KTM but let's see what that really means - all new bikes seem to not actually take lightness into account unless you believe that 200kg is the current benchmark to beat.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    more fuel, longer suspension, beefing up? I am skeptical 790 ADV will be lighter than 385lbs Versys X so argument sake let's speculate it at 400-420 and T7 at 440-450.

It would have to be substantial because IMHO 20-30lbs ain't worth 5 grand. And by weight I mean real life weight, KTM is known to use creative math.

BTW you can drop 10-15lbs for a few hundred bucks with slip-on and Lithium battery which would probably come standard on 790 and not on T7.
  5. Hatori

Hatori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's interesting cause other than dirt bikes many bikes could be substantially lighter; my Husky TE630 for example weighs 150kg dry. I'm sure Husky and other brands have the know how to make bikes light and strong. I really hope that "Lightness that’s off the scale" is not just marketing hype.

That being said I love twins, whatever the 790 Adv ends up weighing I am sure will provide ample fun when out and about. I just want to find out the actual specs, can't wait!
    outbacktm and chevtech like this.
  6. ncj01

ncj01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    we'll see.

cyclopathic likes this.
  7. bodean123

bodean123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Light and strong usually comes with a much higher cost.
  8. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would expect the weight to be between the 690 Enduro and 1090 Adventure - so about 175kg without fuel ?
  9. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Well said.

Cycle World kinda made it sound like the 1090 was head and shoulders above the AT.
    (Grand Caynon Adventure).
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah we just need to sit back and roll fingers until we have some rags like CW get a test mule and put it on scale.

To round up weight distribution and CG location is as important as weight. For example Africa Twin at 540lbs/245kg hides its weight pretty well, taking it off the kickstand it feels lighter then 650 V-strom which is 65lbs/30kg lighter. 1190 feels much heavier due to amount of clearance and high CG, just saying.

I hope it is not a marketing hype and katoom really delivers on 790 ADV. Even if it proves too expensive it will rise the bar for other mfg to catch up.
    Vlerkies likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    you mean by
    https://www.cycleworld.com/2017-ktm-1090-adventure-r-first-ride-review#page-8
    and
    Yes AT needs re-spring and suspension adjustments like 1190 did, and according to CW tester 1090 suspension is good out of the box, but does it make 1090 head and shoulders better? Or is it personal preference? Get somebody with 30" inseam to review and you will get a very different point of view, those 2" of seat height will do it.

regardless 790 ADV and T7 will rise the bar as they promise to be substantially lighter
    Vlerkies likes this.
  12. coolrunnings

coolrunnings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most likely the most important part about the new 790 is as you said how it carries its weight.

For example:
    My Super Enduro was ~400lbs fueled. The 990 Adventure is ~500. A full 100lbs' more. I can treat the 990A like a dirt bike with spin turns relatively easily. The Super Enduro made me really work hard to achieve that skill and dropping that bike was easy to do.

How they carry their weight... The SE has a tank that is mounted higher than the 990A. Filled its 3.4 gallons = ~20.4lbs plus tank weight. The way the weight is carried caused the bike to feel less workable at slower speeds or no speed. At 10mph or above all bikes are weightless as the gyro effect keeps them upright rather easily (in a straight line).

Same goes for the 1090/1190/1290, they have tanks mounted up high. That makes them harder to manage the slower you go or the more you want to treat them like a dirt bike.

The 790A should be more of a modern 990A with some weight reduction. I am hoping the engine has soul to it....

The 790A has the same low slung tanks as the 990A (possibly lower). It will make that bike much easier to use like a dirt bike.
    Ferd, desert sky, Blakduk and 3 others like this.
  13. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agree re weight distribution and cg being as important. The 950 i have holds its weight really high and feels like a trqcypr compared to a modern bike. Even the royal enfield i rode the other day (190kg) felt so much more manageable in the sand and my 390 on the road feels almost weightless
  14. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Nope, that’s not the article I’m referring to.
    They had both bikes on a tour to the Grand Caynon.
  15. Vlerkies

Vlerkies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the raw weight difference between the T7 engine and the 790? Just as a matter of interest it being a starting point, if anyone knows.
    chevtech likes this.
  16. THE TENERENATOR

THE TENERENATOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We should know in a little over a week.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about weights - but I suspect the KTM may be well up on power - the MT07 (on which the T7 motor is based) is quoted at 74hp - whilst the KTM power figures are not yet official, KTM have said the Duke 790 will produce 'over 100hp' - possibly detuned a little for the Adventure and reworked for more torque - but my money would be on the KTM to out perform the Yamaha ......
    Benduro, outbacktm and Vlerkies like this.
  18. Hatori

Hatori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting point, I'm sure with all the money KTM reinvests in R&D they can make 'light and strong' and still have a competitively priced machine. The 2005 Highland 950 V2 Outback in the same vein of the Super Enduro was 165kg (363lbs) dry, had a 20L(5.2 gal) tank also.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/highland/highland_950_v2_outback.htm

Not sure on the price of the Highland when it came out but I see no reason why KTM can't do it!
    Montana Maniac likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No question it will be up on power but 74 is plenty and most bikes limit power off-road. Suspension, clearance, weight, CG, price on other hand..
    ]
  20. 4bikes

4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    chevtech, Montana Maniac and goldneox like this.