1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You rock, thank you!!!
    Fabricator likes this.
  2. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to change my answer. Yesterday's ride in toasty temps didn't feel like much was coming off the engine, while I wore shorts under a mesh protective overpant. Tonight I rode in slightly cooler conditions with just a thin pair of pants (5.11 Stryke) and no overpant, and I was definitely getting heat from the engine to the point where I needed to stand periodically to cool my jimmies.
    The_Eccentric and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spoke to my dealer who subsequently called ktm NA. There’s a software glitch on that Rally pack on some downloads. There’s an update I’m going in for this week. Here’s to a 4 hour adventure lol
    hgwilliam and chippertheripper like this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. FireDog45

FireDog45 What should I do today...?

Oddometer:
    2CCCAA3A-E95E-4644-948C-73673CF1D041.jpeg

Here’s a screen shot

Attached Files:

Venturer, Matt P, nhbubba and 2 others like this.
  6. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    That looks like some staintune type Ducati stuff.
    Very sexy.
    I’ll get more out of fancy boingers as I become one with this scoot.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  7. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Most importantly, does the carpet match the drapes?
    Subaruvich likes this.
  8. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Gimme that hardwood!
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  9. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second ride on my 790r today. Did some gravelly forest service roads that I have done a ton of times on many many bikes, so a good place to compare how I feel compared to other bikes. Some of the roads are pretty fast while other parts are tight with lots of gravel and very slippery. I was surprised that on the fast stuff I felt most comfortable with rally mode, rally throttle response and traction control set to one. Maybe because then the bike felt like an old style dirt bike and I had a better feel for spinning up the back wheel. All other place I preferred rally mode with street response and tc at 5 -7. The suspension is very good. Better than any other bike I have had except maybe my 500 EXC. Way better than my 2009 690r enduro and my 2017 1290 SAR. So far no issues or leaks. I posted on another thread that this was the first time I used the 3D printed GPS mount and it did not break.

Attached Files:

gulfcoaster, Venturer, Gibber and 5 others like this.
  10. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky you to live in an amazing offroad part of the US...
    Velociraptor likes this.
  11. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    So, this is an awesome motorcycle, better even than I hoped it would be. My only question/gripe is getting the bike up for service. If you lift it using the KTM lifting apparatus in the front, how are you supposed to service or adjust the steering head bearings? Since you can't lift the bike by jacking on the OEM skid plate, all I can think of is running a strap under the frame by the steering stem and using a come along anchored to the ceiling to lift the front of the motorcycle up. I really don't like the idea of a having drag a centerstand through muddy ruts either, but that would be the only other option I can think off. Whoever gets a real skid plate out first that can handle being the contact point for lifting is going to sell a lot of them.
  12. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you take some closeup pics of the gps mount? Thx
  13. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Nice report, thanks! I generally find myself riding around in the RM/STR/TC8, so close to your second settings, but I've been wanting to get out on some slippery grabbel to try the rally throttle response, low TC in rally mode. Should be a hoot, and my expectation is that through exposure the rally TR (throttle response) will become less herky-jerky.

My only bummer is that I can't seem to replicate the geometry of my 300 no how - with my balls wayyy forward, and my elbows up and over the bars. I can get my elbows up, but because I cannot slip forward enough on the seat the bars feel too far forward. I feel like I don't have the same leverage on them as the 300 and it's geometry. I'm going to loosen them and play around with their position. I'll have to check if they have the type of clamp that will allow me to move them towards me more. Might be a tough balance since I also want them higher for standing. (Thats where lower foot pegs may play a part in my set up)

Anyone else getting comfortable in Rally throttle response, with low TC in the gravel/loose dirt?
    Velociraptor likes this.
  14. Velociraptor

Oddometer:
    Link for the GPS mount. You have to order two separate pieces which is a bit strange, and no metal inserts so this mount may fail at some point. I ordered this before the failures were reported so now I would think twice. Also the mount does not come with any mounting hardware. The only thing I had to scrounge for was the bolt/screw that holds the two pieces together. https://www.shapeways.com/product/L...l&utm_campaign=payment-received&utm_content=7

I have been lifting the bike from underneath and have not had any problems. Also see blow the GPS mount pics. IMG_0710.jpeg IMG_0708.jpeg IMG_0709.jpeg IMG_0706.jpeg IMG_0705.jpeg IMG_0704.jpeg IMG_0707.jpeg
    nhbubba and Yzlvr like this.
  15. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the screen shot. I’ll be waiting for the results on this side of the pond to see if they come up with the same thing. It’s not passing my backyard backwoods mechanic litmus test.
    Venturer likes this.
  16. Gibber

Gibber Lonely road rider

Oddometer:
    I know that mountain road, I've got a pic of my bike at the same spot! I've got a 1090 and have been looking at the 790's for a while. I love my 1090 but would still like to have something a bit smaller. Any regrets moving from your 1290 to the 790?
    Velociraptor likes this.
  17. Velociraptor

Oddometer:
    Zero regrets. The 1290 would only be better for maybe cross country (and I mean riding across the whole country) adventure touring fully loaded with lots of high speed pavement. The 790r is still pretty good on the highway (for me 95% as good as the 1290) and way way more nimble than the 1290 off pavement. The suspension is way better too. So yeah for me the 790r is the perfect compromise bike that can do pavement well and off pavement pretty good too. It is nice that the mileage so far is always over 50mpg with a 5.2 gallon tank so a nice range. Only downside is less power but the power is good enough on the highway and more than needed off road.
  18. Gibber

Gibber Lonely road rider

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear! The 790's have been in short supply so I haven't been able to test one - I have to go by the educated opinions of those who are already owners. I've had the chance to sit on a bike or 2 at the I-90 dealership and hope I can get my name on the list for the 2nd wave of bikes..
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    The 790 triples have six (!) adjustment spots versus the four on EXCs. I just got my bike Sunday and tried Rally mode, TC3 and it's a hoot on gravel. You can't just go crazy with the throttle like if you had more TC dialed in, but I don't want to develop bad habits and kill myself on my 501.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed pictures; is your windscreen in the low or high position? It looks like there is no room for the the GPS without hittin gthe support beams for the screen, but I guess the mount moves it out far enough.
    I guess everyone was afraid to jack the bike up from the skidplate because the KTM manual says to use the fancy lifting tools, but I guess its not a problem. I'll still go for a heavier skidplate as soon as one hits the market.