1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Texas (by way of Norway and Nova Scotia, Canada)
    Well.... we can dispel that myth and cross it off the FAQ.

I went for a 30min drive and slammed the brakes repeatedly- leaving rubber over all streets in a 5 mile radius!
    I cycled the ignition on and off several times.
    I turned ABS off and tried that a few times for shits n giggles.
    I JUMPED on the brake pedal while trying to break the front lever off with my best Kung fu grip.
    Brake light still on.
    :s
  2. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep cycling a few more times , I just went thru this last week. Worked like a charm as I also was heading out on a fifteen hundred mile trek ..
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. AdamM001

Oddometer:
    ? Oh yeah? Man... I thrashed those brakes so hard that I’m sure I’ve found the braking limits!

- just checked the US 790 Adv rider FB page and seems others are having issues. Might be a service recall/tech bulletin on this as well, they think.
  4. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    let me know if it works, I put that in the FAQ without confirmation of its effectiveness.
    Matt P likes this.
  5. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s verified already
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is a 240mm conversion?....
    The kickstand is off an R or is the original?....did you add spacers to the low fender?

Bike looks great
  7. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came back from a 6 day touring trip of northern ontario and manitoba. 5200 kms in 6 days. Mostly pavement but about 300 kms of gravel/dirt roads too. The only problem I encountered was hard starting when trying to start it for the first time each morning. It would turn on then turn off after a second, and take 3 or 4 tries before it would stay on. I discovered that if I turn it on then immediately give the throttle a few very light blips, it will stay on. This is a minor annoyance as far as I'm concerned, however I do wonder whether it is indicative of a more serious problem developing? Also the wind buffetting is really bad, I will order one of those windsheild extensions.
    Velociraptor and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The claimed 450km range really is true

Attached Files:

• mpg.jpg
      mpg.jpg
      File size:
      244.6 KB
      Views:
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You knucklehead..you must have driven right by me. ;)

I have the same issue - every single time she's cold and I try and start the bike, from day 1, she always takes 3 attempts. I personally avoid adding throttle because I figure the ECU is doing it's thing, and my adding input will mess with it. It would be nice though for it to start right up the first go.
    dewaynehasty likes this.
  10. AdamM001

Oddometer:
    60 mpg?!?

I’m getting 36! :s
    (Been in Rally mode - but all street so far)
  11. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is how I solved the buffeting problem, bike is nice to ride , not perfect but way better then with standard shield. Ridable on slow speeds with helmet up and pretty good on higher speeds upto 120km/hr, have not tested it faster then that.

Givi airflow front screen along with some cheap spoiler. Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 23.52.44.png Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 23.52.59.png Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 23.52.44.png
  12. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ys and super easy to take off for the really rough stuff and just put it in the bag.
  13. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well if you live on Ranger Lake road then I did drive right by you. :D

As I understand it, cold starts cause a lot of wear. So having to start it 3 times is 3x the wear. If I can get it to start on the first attempt by giving it a little blip, that should minimize the wear. At least that's my theory, I am no mechanic, for all I know my way could actually increase the wear.

by the way, I didn't see a single other KTM on my entire trip. Most other adv bikes I saw were BMWs, other than that mostly big touring bikes like goldwings and various harleys.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you pull a giant parachute behind you? The worst I got was about 55 mpg and that was doing a very high speed run, I won't post the speeds here incase the po-po are reading. :) When keeping the speeds between 80-90 km/h I get around 65-70 mpg.
    ibgary, Venturer and hgwilliam like this.
  15. AdamM001

Oddometer:
    I dunno.. did 137mi today (220km) from full; at the end of the ride, got low fuel warning and then it took over 4.2Gal (say 16L).
    That works out to 32.6mpg -7.25L/100km

It was SPIRITED road riding - 60-105mph and hard accelerations... but still.. this is the same as my 2006 950 adv S. :sq
  16. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second that, I’m at 3.6-3.7L/100kms. That’s including those spontaneous days when you seem to have an itch in your right wrist.
    ibgary likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Had to look that up. Nope. I'm wayyyy north of there. You mentioned manitoba so I thought you'd jetted up along 11/17.

I took another look at the manual. I think 2 things stuck in my mind which conspired to make me overthink the throttle input. First, when outside the back of the dealers shop and starting my bike it was doing what would become the norm (3 tries) when the tech heard it failing to start and almost ran out, saying 'don't touch the throttle'. I retorted 'I'm not...'. Then he mumbled about it throwing off the computer, and fuelling if I were to. Then quickly looking through the manual I recalled it saying not to touch the throttle during the starting process .. ah .. 'during'. Surely blipping it whilst it starts, even at feeble RPMS must be ok, no?

But originally the quick perusing of the manual and the tech made me think it better to avoid what seemed like a natural thing to do when an engine is struggling - hit the throttle. Unless someone here knows better, I'm with you .. and will be giving it a bit of throttle to help it over the hump.
  18. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I did ride the 17 on my way to manitoba, and the 11 on the way back. Did a detour up to savant lake on highway 516 then hwy 599 back down.

I don't think you should give it any throttle while pressing the starter, only after it starts, but before it has a chance to turn off again. At least that's what I do. I am by no means suggesting that this is the right way to do it, as I have limited mechanical knowledge and wouldn't want someone to mess up their bike by following my advice. If anyone knows what could be causing the difficult starting when cold, please chime in.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was referring to after it starts, but the RPMs are too low to hold an idle.

We better start talking about pro suspensions, GPS mounting or pannier racks before we get laughed out of here :jack
    CaseyB likes this.
  20. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM are finally bringing out their own GPS bracket. Seems like it's the standard AMPS mounting for Garmin, TomTom, etc.
    gps.png