1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorex Power Synt 10w-50.

Probably OK to run any synthetic as long as it’s 10w-50.

I’ve never understood why some people say “screw the manual and what the engineers designed the motor for” and then they run a different weight and viscosity like 15w-60 or something. Asking for issues.
    ibgary, niksami and Rudderfeet like this.
  2. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I measured that right, seat height is 885mm with seat on lower position. Ground clearance 270mm.
  3. Falco888

Falco888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Empedrado, Do you know by any chance is the plug for the heated grips are right behind the headlight? (the instruction that comes with the kit only shows the 790 duke assembly)

thanks

upload_2019-7-5_11-50-13.jpg
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to split the headlight housing assembly to access the ACC2 connectors. I is a pain but not as hard as it seems. 790adventure.net has a heated grips hotlink which eventually leads to a post about the headlight: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...90-Adventure?p=5319306&viewfull=1#post5319306
    For some reason my KTM heated grips kept blowing the 10 amp fuse. I switched to 15 amp and it is fine. I have not read about anyone else having that problem so it is worrisome.
    Falco888 likes this.
  5. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Evening all,

790R being picked up in a week or two so a quick question for those who are already riding them.

The seat, dare I even ask how it is for distance on road. I’m sure it’s not the most comfortable ever produced but can you do a few hundred miles in a day without medical issues! I’d really appreciate genuine thoughts rather than “just stand” or “why are you spending all your time on road” or the inevitable “I did 1000 miles in a day on a Vespa/honda 125/ride on lawn mower/donkey”

I’m off to an off road event in Scotland the day after I pick up from the south of the UK so need to mentally prepare myself for how hellish the 400 mile motorway/freeway ride is going to be!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The seat if really fine (way better than the OEM 1290/1090 SA seats). I did about 800 km (100% road) in a day without any medical issues :)
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  7. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow Apo, that’s on the R not the standard? If so I’m seriously impressed and extremely pleasantly surprised
  8. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was on the standard sorry.

But I have the R since yesterday, and the seat is as comfortable as on the standard.

BEST KTM SEAT EVER (well, the only pretty good Ktm seat I sat on...).

I will report later on differences I felt between 2 models. Did ride about 300km today (50/50 on and off, break in...), and so far I am extrememy happy about my upgrade, surprisingly not only offroad!

Attached Files:

9. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know what this 17 mm with standard hex adapter in the tool kit is for specifically?
    part.jpg
  10. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apo that’s great news and I’d love to hear any updates when you go for your next ride. Also any other opinions on the seat on the R for distance riding. My hopes are being raised!
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi speed damping nut on shock?
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  12. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its because the dealer has installed the software meant for the 790 duke.. Nothing to worry about..
  13. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a 300km ride when I first got it, I was coming off a R1200GSA. For me personally, my lower back was sore and my legs were cramped by the time I got home. My back was sore the next day. Now, after 1,000kms my body is used to it and it’s fine. Changed the seat height and removed rubber peg inserts for the leg cramping.

Depending on your body, it could be fine, or it might take some getting used to. I was on the S as well.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  14. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks hg
  15. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You dont need to split the headlight assembly. I took my Headlight Assembly OFF the bike to gain access to the wires. What you do is

You remove the Display unit and unplug it
    You Remove the front Fender ( then you gain access to the access door under the headlight assembly).
    You Remove the Headlight assembly by removing the 4 screws that hold it in place along with the Steal bars that give it support
    Now you can slide the Whole assembly off the bike , there are 3 big plugs that you need to disconnect.

Now you can get access to ACC and ACC1 wires ( as strange as it is , they are on top of the wiring bundle. If it where at the bottom then you could just open the Wire access door under the headlight assembly by removing the front fender and access the extra wires )

I did this and I moved the Extra ACC and ACC1 down under the wire bundle , so now I have access to it via the removable access door underneath the headlight assembly.

My biggest problem was to get the steal support bar on the left side to fit when re installing the headlight assembly.

This is not a big or complicated job to do.

If anyone like me to I will post some photos later of what needs to be unscrewed.
    ibgary, Falco888, Fabricator and 3 others like this.
  16. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a big ass, took me few days to get used to the seat. Rode the bike almost 400km without stopping few days ago and the seat was just FINE for me. No complaint.
  17. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    SEE SEE KTM in Portland Oregon has 1 790 ADV (Non R) left, original buyer backed out.
    I think its $12500, its White. No affiliation just happened to need a part today and they had it in stock.
    Had to browse while I was there.. Nice crew and low drama.. All they sell is KTM which helps
    only 1 sales guy. :D

About a 20 Min drive from the airport as long as you miss rush hour.

My friends consider me an Enabler, their wives consider me a bad influence..
  18. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    No luck yet with the hard braking/key cycling yet.
  19. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh , are you hitting both front and rear at same time with strong stops ?