1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @aage If not too much of a PITA, some pics of the steps would be great (I'm lazy :)

On the R seat... I posted a while back locally that I reckon KTM have enlisted a 'bum fairy' to design and shape the seat... Likewise I've ridden a 400 odd Km day road and dirt and can't say I was shifting cheeks after 1/2 an hour.
    A lot depends on the riders bum shape / weight and seat comfort is not universal, but the seat is certainly not your typical KTM plank - For this Bum!
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chyeah mang. Abs chatter and all. To the stops.
    bobnoxious67 and Oceandiving954 like this.
  3. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its late now here 23:15. I will take some photos tomorrow of the screws needed to remove.
    The_Eccentric and braaap! like this.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Ha! I figured out why I have been missing shifts. (my phone was off..). No seriously.. I've got it.

I spent 2 hrs drifting through bush roads in 4th having a ball sitting and standing and never a missed shift. Great I thought, it's worked itself out. But no sooner had I hit slab again I was missing shifts! But half a dozen misses I finally looked way down to note where the toe of my boot was and sure enough the big toe area was partially UNDER my skid plate.

I guess by sitting more forward off-road I avoid misses. I think on road I just second guess my boot position and keep tucking it further right. Muscle memory should fix that now that I'm aware.

Nice to know it's not the bike.
    hgwilliam, CaseyB and braaap! like this.
  6. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    Wow, big step up and higher than the R. That would make a great bike even better. I'm thinking after a few years and stock suspension starts to sag I'll put R suspension on my S
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I'm tempted to have my dealer bring in a tall seat to try, only because of it's narrow enduro style. I still wonder if it would be 1) softer due to it's added height, and 2) just how much higher, truly, is it, or more accurately, how does that height impact foot contact with the ground. With the narrow profile, could that be enough to cancel out the added height.

If I bring it in, and toss it on my bike at the dealer, and I'm struggling to touch the ground then back it would go. It would be great if there were someone who has been around both seats and could comment. Birch? The Merzouga Rally guys?
    MxFan69 likes this.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two bikes.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  9. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on that plan as well...at least today I tell myself a few years, so how that long that lasts
  10. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    One Cup
    limey1, tshansen and Amphib like this.
  11. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Not sure this is FAQ worthy, but I think maybe it’s a Pro Tip:
    If you mount HDB NexGen handguards on the stock 790R handlebars and use the sixth position on the triple clamp (furthest away from the rider), you will hit the TFT display on the left side at full lock. The right side is fine since the display is only elongated on the left. I’m too tired to mess with it tonight, but tomorrow I plan on moving back a position or two to get some clearance. The last thing this bike needs is less steering lock. It kind of sucks in that department.
    DED79864-2CBB-485B-9C66-E1AA7F17D556.jpeg
    69C92EC8-ED24-4375-B1E5-83E3671ABA62.jpeg
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Because oil isn't a dark art. Manufacturers have to account for ANY use.

Using a 15w50 vice a 10w50 won't matter at all if you aren't using the bike in cold climates.....they entirely have to do with temperature ranges.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  13. VintageThumper

VintageThumper Gotta ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_7193.jpg IMG_7194.jpg

I finally had to say it... Her butt was too big.
    Falco888 and scfrank like this.
  14. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To everyone who replied about the seat on the R thanks for your input. It’s really appreciated. I’ve been pleasantly surprised and a little shocked that the consensus is it is fairly comfortable for long distances. I’m looking forward to the long ride after picking her up now rather than slightly dreading it!
  15. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your a smart man.
    Tripped1 likes this.
  16. marlopez

marlopez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t see a difference in the headlights with the DRL on vs off. I assume on are the two LEDs strips. But they’re on all the time.

Am I missing something or is there an error on my bike?
  17. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    When it's bright daylight and the DRL setting is on, the daytime running lights are used instead of the dip beam. If you enter a tunnel or when it becomes dark, the dip beam headlights will automatically switch on.

As I filter quite a lot in London I prefer to use dip headlights instead of DRL, then the car drivers are more likely to see me and hopefully make room for me to pass.
  18. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    62894603-A9FC-462A-88CA-05FF4C73B4D1.jpg
    Yesterday in its natural environment. 790 standard model with Xplor Pro suspension. First ride, first dirt, first lowside, some air time and big smile on my face

IMG_2897.gif

Attached Files:

19. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    First of many......
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. niksami

niksami Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the seat, I find seat on 790R slightly less comfortable than the stock one on 1190 Adv standard. Just because it is narrower a bit, so pressure is distributed on narrower area. I plan to upgrade to 2 piece ergo seat soon. My GF also confirms that for the pillion 1190 was slightly better.