1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sefti, As a GS owner who recently purchased a 790r your thoughts mirror mine completely. I still have my 14 GSW with 108,000 miles and it still runs perfect. I'm keeping the GS, but figured the 790r would be a good addition. Travel capable and much better off road than a GS. However, the 790r is no match on the road compared to the GS, and while it is better off road, it is still a relatively heavy adventure bike. Many say you can ride the 790 like a dirt bike but not for me so far. It's not really the bikes fault, its just that we haven't figured each other out yet, and those damn karoo's are not helping! You have to ride the KTM aggressively. It has no down low torque, practically no flywheel effect, and the awful Euro 4 fluffy fueling means spin it up or go nowhere. I'll fix some of the rough edges on he KTM and I will also just get used to what it needs to ride properly. Like you said, it's an awesome piece of kit and many miles down the road I probably read this post and say what the hell was I blabbering about? Damn bike is awesome.
    deadflagblues and ibgary like this.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t understand the thought that the gs is so much better at traveling when they both will do 80mph down the interstate all damn day long.
    Sure, there’s a larger aftermarket for comfort bits and luggage for the bmw, but in time, you’ll see the same corresponding shit for the 790 too.
    The motor is different, sure, but more efficient as well.
    Enlighten me.
  3. Ravedigger

Ravedigger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just going to quickly brag that I also have that many miles on my 14 GSW...

But also I agree with almost all of your comparison between the 790 and the 1200GS. The only place I would disagree is the road performance. I think the 790 feels just as good on pavement as the GS around town. On the highway there is no comparison, the GS is significantly better in my mind, but just for blasting around town I think the 790 gives the GS a run for its money. Off road, I haven't found myself to be a better rider on the 790 than I am on my GS, but I think that's more a result of my skill level than the bikes.
  4. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i agree with you chip except for two things about the road (and that's easily fixed ) the wind protection on the gs out of the box is better and the argo's are built more for the road (but not in a critical way) besides that i did 250 miles on the 790 mpg was mid 50's cc was on and bike didn't sweat.
    if i wanted to make it more comfy than it was (and it was) i could adjusted the suspension but didn't feel the need.

to summarize yes the GS is a better road bike but so is a goldwing but the difference is that the gs is not that much better on the road that i would have both bikes at the same time.
    full disclosure i don't own a gs but have friends that do and did put a couple of thousands of miles on them over the years and this my own opinion not a fact
    nhbubba and chippertheripper like this.
  5. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Wind protection is a valid arguement. Since it’s summer, I’ve largely not thought about it. Once the temps drop and the heated gear goes on, I might have to reconsider. Maybe there’ll be some more screens by then too.
  6. wide open

wide open in second gear

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all regarding my tool query. The rental outfit takes the tools off their bikes, then rents tool kits out separately, as I understand it.
    That sounds cheesy, but I kind of understand because not long ago I rented a bike that was supposed to have a complete tool kit but some wanker had not returned a much needed 14mm wrench to the kit. I'd hate to have to inventory tool kits after every rental at a busy rental shop.

Also, I have a 2014 12GS, too, so I may chip in dos pesos worth after three days on/off road on the 790R...
  7. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I may be BMW "Institutionalized" by this point. I have 350,000 miles on 3 boxer GS's over the last 20 years, so its hard to break from this mold. I've been riding the 790 on weekends and then commuting on the GS. Come Monday morning I'm thinking what a drag to go to work, but at least I'll get to ride my GS. A real engine, with actual torque and smooth throttle response, oh and the forks don't dive, and the seat is way more comfortable(stock), and much nicer wind management. Plus I have to admit I like the linked brakes front to rear. The abs is superior to the ktm's, both off and on road. The ktm's abs kicks in too early no matter what mode I'm in.

Where the ktm really shines is the suspension off road (not bad on road either) and the rally mode traction control. Absolute game changer. I've only got 2,000 miles on the ktm and after being on these goofy bmw's for so long, it may take a bit for me to acclimate.:1drink
  8. Ravedigger

Ravedigger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife's dealer tried to tell me that the 790 had linked brakes... But yeah, I agree that the linked brakes on the GS are quite nice. I don't really see a reason not to have linked brakes on a modern bike, but I'm sure KTM has done their market research and determined that it wouldn't be popular enough to justify including it.
  9. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve already noticed the lack of protection from the big R12GSA tank. I could do a jacket and jeans down to +8C, the KTM my legs get cold under +12C. I also have an hour commute, so it gives it time.

But I’d rather suffer that and have this amazing machine off road. Could of never done this personally on the GSA...also it would of physically struggled to get between the trees!

IMG_1247.jpg
    jm65, TrailTrauma and Villy like this.
  10. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    there's a line to the right for the gsa's.
    krussell and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. Riverlink

Riverlink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here you go:

T25 Brake Lever Height
    T30 Bodywork
    T30 / H6 Hand Guards
    T30 / 10mm Skid Plate
    T40 Handlebars
    H5 / 14mm Mirrors
    10mm / 13mm Chain Tension
    32mm Rear Axle
    32mm Front Axle
    T40 Front Axle Clamp
    T40 Tiple Clamps
    32mm Wrench Headstock
    12mm Wrench Clutch cable
    10mm Wrench Brake & Clutch Levers
    T45 Subframe
    T45 Luggage Rack
    T45 Brake Caliper
    T30 ABS Sensor
    17mm Skt Shock High Speed Compression
    Flat Head Shock Low Speed Compression
    Flat Head Shock Rebound Damping
    H5 Shock Pre-Load

The following came in the tool kit with the bike:

H6 T-Handle
    H6 Allen Key
    T25 Allen Key
    17mm Skt (H6 Drive)
    T30 - (H6 drive)
    T40 - (H6 drive)
    T45 - (H6 drive)
    Flat - (H6 drive)
    PH2 - (H6 drive)
    8 & 13mm Wrench
    10 & 14mm Wrench
    32mm Wrench
  12. lbever

lbever IAMX454

Oddometer:
    Use a heat gun to soften up the plastic.
  13. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:

both axles are 32mm
  14. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    thats what the other dude said too. I won't argue it, as I said, whatever socket it is, is permanently attached to my 1/2" drive.
    so it is written, so it shall be.
  15. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:

get one of those 32mm axle wrench / tire irons , tusk or motion pro . less weight less bulk
    cjracer and nhbubba like this.
  16. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who is renting 790R ‘s?
    Awesome list by Riverlink
    After a tubeless repair kit, 10/13mm wrenches (chain tensioner) and this would be next along with a 21” tube . . .
    5B1B201C-512B-4450-B562-DC43356F1826.jpeg

Edit: identical simultaneous post above . . .
  17. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Pffft, I don’t bring that shit with me. It’s heavy.
  18. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good idea, it’s nicer around town in rain mode!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. wide open

wide open in second gear

Oddometer:
    Colorado Motorcycle Adventures - Denver area
    kvango and The_Eccentric like this.
  20. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ

Dam what a list