KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you brake with the front brakes, does it worsen as well? Trying to determine if the front end diving worsens it.

And your tires are in good shape, and properly inflated? Balanced well?
  2. vrenlos

vrenlos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't noticed any issues on braking...I'll a specific experiment later today. When I tightened the steering head bearing, I checked the static balance of the front wheel on a stand and it seemed spot on, but I didn't check for lateral or radial truing issues and in hind-sight I should have. The tires now have almost exactly 300 miles on them (Avon Trailriders/OEM) and *look* fine, though I haven't ruled that out. Inflation I've tried between 36 and 40psi, no real change.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Well I happened to take an S 790 out for a test ride the other day. And I was very impressed with this bike. It fit me perfectly (5',8", 165lbs).
    I currently own a Super Tenere which I really enjoy, but I am looking for that unicorn bike, cause I often find myself in places that I probably should
    not be especially alone. The 790 Adventure is one of the best middle weight bikes I have ridden so far, and it is tugging at my strings, dealer will
    probably work a deal on the S. The 2020 R's, all have deposits on them! It could be a while before I could get an R. I have worked on suspension on
    most of my bikes. I truly think that suspension is number one, when it comes to riding off road. I think there will be more valving kits available
    in the future, I agree I would rather just buy it and ride it, but I might consider getting the S, with the intentions of upgrading the suspension.
    The only other bike I have considered is the 701, 19 model. I love the explor forks on my 2 stroke. There are such good bikes to choose from
    lately it is agonizing! :D
    Braapncamp and vrenlos like this.
  4. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    While you're looking at other solutions, have you done your front and rear sag yet? Curious what numbers you get.
  5. vrenlos

vrenlos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't...and most definitely should.
  6. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

Makes one want to get into chemistry.
    The_Eccentric and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. Villy

Villy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 55mm front, 75mm rear with zero preload
    (I am 73kg/161lb).
    I measured front sag staying on foot pegs. Seating on saddle will give even smaller number for front.
    I hope fork springs could be getting softer after a while.
    My bigger concern is vibration which is becoming noticeable after 5000rpm. Most people saying that this bike is very smooth and just 3 on this forum mentioned they have some vibrations.
    Vibration make long highway ride very uncomfortable.
    I feel them thru handlebars, foot pegs, seat. After I put additional weights on handlebar, hand vibration become much less noticeable, but still.
    Have anybody same issue resolved?
    I get few references that it could help to check engine mounting tension.
    In case they are over tightened that could cause vibrations.
  8. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I think we all must have vibes above 5K. I generally like to ride a gear low in the bush, so my revs are usually between 6500-8500 rpm. You wanna talk about vibes? ;)

Once initial service was done and I finally began riding in those ranges I realized one of the best investments for me (vibes=neuro deficits in my hands and even feet) would be these 2 'vibration-isolating' products:

https://shop.xcgear.com/collections/spurz/products/spurz-foot-pegs?variant=27687516945
    [​IMG]

And:

https://xcgear.myshopify.com/products/mako-360-xcm14k2?rq=yr_2019~mk_ktm~md_790r
    [​IMG]
    vrenlos likes this.
  9. gp999

gp999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what was the lowering kit and how many inches did that help. Also in the split seat? is the seat adjustable like on the S? also how many inches higher is the screen?
    thanks and how much for each. I have a 30in inseam and im on my toes, love the bike just want to plant feet better when needed.
  10. Falco888

Falco888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just grind the ends (45 degrees). Easy access now.
  11. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    https://ridermagazine.com/2019/08/14/rider-magazines-2019-motorcycle-of-the-year/

Looking on the positive side, the R version does get an honorary mention. You could almost say it's a joint award for the two bikes.

Original review: https://ridermagazine.com/2019/04/05/2019-ktm-790-adventure-r-first-ride-review/

(Pity the journalists were told the dunes were the Sahara. They are nowhere near the Sahara.)
    jacinto and TrailTrauma like this.
  12. Falco888

Oddometer:
    I took my suspension to http://www.tootechracing.com and dropped the front and rear 1". Yes, it helps (for a minute I got second thoughts about getting the R til I made the change). The seat is the same as the S model, but I took the front section to a friend to lowered even more (0.6") and round the edges. The screen is the one from the S (about 4" taller?). My inseam is 29" (see picture below)

upload_2019-8-21_15-45-50.png
    alex2448 likes this.
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get it.....

Here is where I stand.... I love 950 SEs....love them....

From '08 to '18 I experimented....added....deleted...changed etc etc all areas of the 950...some things worked....some didn't....

I hope what I am doing to the 790 is based on what I personally have learned with the 950 bikes.

Suspension....For ME.... this is the area that has always delivered the most bang for the buck...Instead of me slowly modding the suspension over the course of years...I am just going full Monty from the jump and enjoying it day 1....fingers crossed

Weight removal... Not a pound here or there...but fairly significant weight removal....30lbs plus....This unfortunately has always been my thing with bikes and cars....I was a kid when I heard how focused Carroll Shelby was on stripping weight and it just stuck. My last SE was 390ish and it transformed the bike...

Ergos, gearing, tires..... We all have our favorites...but as a weird example my 790 will have the same bars and pegs as my 300 and 501....just fits me....

Outside of some silly stuff like different colored rear panels and smaller turn signals...I like to think every mod I am doing has a real purpose....
    cjracer, oldfuddy, outbacktm and 7 others like this.
  14. Falco888

Oddometer:
    Make sure to remove the front sprocket cover and cleaned it up. Really good. (there is a LOT of oil residue. Too much on the chain from factory). So, we the heat it can spread over the engine and mistakenly assume is the counter shaft or a seal/gasket)
  15. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an issue with vibration and my hands going numb until I moved the bars closer to me. Once I did that I found I felt a lot more relaxed and put less pressure on the grips. I’m sure they probably still vibrate just as much, but it’s not bothering me anymore.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I might try that, thanks.
  17. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I may keep the S, for the loss I’ll take, I can redo the entire suspension. The only thing I won’t have is the extra 40mm travel, which I really don’t think I’ll need after it’s tuned to me.

I’ll get a full cartridge kit on the front and a new rear shock, then have it tuned and valved to how I want to ride.

The only thing is I have to wait until the companies produce the kits. Talking to reps now to see what’s coming and when.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  18. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I respect that completely. I got my 790 and setup it up as I wanted pretty quickly.

My bmw I did it over 3 years and feel I missed out on things due to that, not my 790, I’ll get it up to speed quick.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  19. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    my shock failed last week. waiting on service.
  20. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go nuts.

I agree completely that squishy bits are the best bang for the buck you can do on any motorcycle. It’s usually not cheap, but it MAKES the bike.
    I’d like to think I have a decent enough relationship with the guy I’ve used for the last 8 or so years that when/if he gets his hands on this scoot’s parts he’ll know exactly what I’m looking for.
    But seriously, I can’t wait to see how yours comes out.