KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that’s the smart play. And getting the travel you want COULD be as easy as removing a spacer internally, so you could indeed have exactly what you want.
    hgwilliam likes this.
  2. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Never a better reason to go with the rally pro bits!
  3. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. 790r blew out shock last weekend. 2k miles on bike. Waiting to hear about warranty replacement. If new shock backorderd will see about rebuild rather than wait.
  4. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another member from here in SA also had his rear shock blow out. Seems to be becoming a bit common.
  5. Campo675

Campo675 n00b

Oddometer:
    It’s an adventure bike, one will be loading it up and going on tour etc. so a shock failure should really not happen with so little KM on the clock. But for interest sake, I wonder what the weight of the riders are. Shouldn’t be reason for the shock to go bust, but that and what type of riding. I saw on the launch in Morocco guys were jumping these bikes like MX bikes but highly doubt owners would do that. So the shock failure is even more problematic if it fails from just riding as KTM advertised it to be ridden
    ibgary likes this.
  6. jm65

jm65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello

Thanks
    I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer, third time they change the seal in 2500kms!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Braapncamp

Braapncamp Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Love that scenery Thomas, now we hope for videos from your adventure! :clap:D
    hgwilliam likes this.
  8. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang! Any idea why? The dude on insta said it was most likely due to the deadly dust up in AK.

But I do understand that you’ll probably want to sell the 790R now. I’ll head down when you’re ready!

-Advdude/Frankie
  9. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this in Scandinavia? I know you’ve said before, but I can’t recall where you’re from (Norway?).

Need to add this to the bucket list.
  10. Villy

Villy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I wanna talk about vibes.
    I spoke with other owners, and get an impression that they just don't understand of what vibes I am talking about.
    My bike has them, yours, few more. Looks like all other don't.
    I think multi-cylinder bikes shouldn't have such vibes.
    It's a main reason to buy them instead of mono.
    I bought this bike for travel.
    Terrible wind protection will be resolved with aftermarket shield.
    Right now I have wind deflector and wind protection already become good enough.
    But with such a vibrations it's just unpleasant to ride on highway.
    For mainly off pavement riding there is other, better suited bikes, let's say 690.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may only notice the higher frequency vibes as I get tired. On the 45 minute ride in today it never entered my mind. I've had peripheral neuropathies for a decade or more now which makes me far more susceptible to vibrations. Not sure a regular Joe would recognize them on my bike.
  12. billiards101

billiards101 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My rear shock blew out also around 3000 miles, at the dealer waiting to see about warranty replace or rebuild. 790 R
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    yup, 1700 miles.
    I was told no replacement shocks available in US. Sent to Temecula for a rebuild.
  14. vrenlos

vrenlos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had a chance to get out and ride it since, but I dropped the rear preload to the lowest click and checked sag there - I'm now at 77.8mm rear and 68.3mm front. I may bump it back up a click and measure again but I wanted to see if softening up the rear helps my pogo behavior at all.
  15. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    The shock preload doesn't click. I turned mine in a full rotation at a time and had my wife then measure the new sag while standing and sitting. From stock it dropped 1.5mm per full turn at first and that figure grew as I cranked down on it in successive turns. I stopped when I got to 82mm
    Subaruvich likes this.
  16. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on the weight reduction. So, do you have a plan to get those pesky 30 extra pounds off the 790 yet? Do tell?
  17. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of vibe isolation, but those pegs look like they are about the same size as the stock pegs, correct? In addition to the vibe isolation, and probably more importantly, I am looking for a larger platform for a) better all day comfort and 2) more outboard leverage for weight shifting. Does that company also make a larger adventure peg?
  18. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    You can follow the link to look but I don't think so. Not in the isolation type. I'd like a larger adv peg as well but everything is a tradeoff. Time will tell what I finally decide is more important.
  19. vrenlos

vrenlos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on an S...just set preload levels that most certainly click/thunk into place with the spanner. :)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Twins have vibes, even 4 cylinders can have vibes.
    The 790 don't have a lot vibes but I remind one time when it was annoying in my right hand (and I used to ride a 390).
    I think it mostly depends with the engine RPM, at constant speed like highway ride.
    Hopefully there is the cruise control.