KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shocks blowing up?

Seal leak or actually broken interiors.
  2. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also a big enthusiast when it comes to shedding the weight.

It is a fun project and it does make a difference.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Battery, silencer, mid pipe.....14 lbs ish

Rebel X rally fairing....2lbs

Losing. rear pegs, grab handles, keyed ignition, mirrors, stock license plate holder, chain guard, one front rotor and caliper....12 lbs ish

Airbox delete when available from Rottweiler 3lbs

Pro Suspension 2lbs

Bits and bobs....silicon radiator hoses....some Ti bolts....other useless bits 2lbs
    outbacktm and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the recipe. Rough math would indicate that once you get the free stuff and the mid-priced stuff it looks like you could get weight savings in the low 20s range. To get anything further seems like it would require about $1000/lb (i.e. single caliper mod, pro suspension, rally fairing). Is that what you are expecting to pay? Since I'm not gonna spend the money on those things, I think a target of 20 pounds off would be feasible at a reasonable cost. Do you think that will make a noticeable difference, in your opinion?
    CaseyB likes this.
  5. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I would pay for the pro suspension and fairing even if they added weight for other reasons...hahaha....Airbox mod is about power..weight savings is a bonus....same is true of the exhaust....

The brake mod will only cost the labor in figuring out the plumbing....

Battery is purely weight.... 4.5 lbs for a couple hundred bucks.

So if you go with exhaust....battery....and then lose the stuff like footpegs...grab handles...hell the rubber inserts in the stock pegs....

20 sounds reasonable...you will be lighter than a 950SE.....
    outbacktm, TrailTrauma and CaseyB like this.
  6. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I share the same obsession to shed weight on purpose built bikes. If you really want to learn about what can be ripped off and take the obsession to the next level, start racing.

Nothing will make it clearer more weight needs to come off than getting beat in a competitive event, trust me :lol3.

For me, the 790R is not that bike. It's the perfect adventure bike for me that can still tour and be comfortable. I'm using MM Reckless luggage and not adding scaffolding is how I'm keeping weight additions to a minimum.

No, I won't be a naysayer on your project ! I'm happy you're doing it and will shamelessly steal any knowledge you're willing to share along the way.

One suggestion, I'm very surprised is not in your list. Subframe. It's way over built for what your bike is shaping up to be. There isn't a lot of miles on any bikes yet, but seeing some of the loads and tours the 790 has been on already, KTM did a pretty good job of designing the subframe to take luggage loads.

So for a purpose built stripped down offroad machine, custom build or start cutting off of the existing subframe. My .02.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  7. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Months ago. I was looking at redoing the subframe in aluminum...I agree with you 100 percent....gonna skip it for now hahahaha....
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a number of these units in the shop currently, and have a handful more on their way to us. I will go into our findings and explain the culprit as to exactly what we have found.

The 790 features the same oil seal and locking ring found on a number of KTM/Husqvarna models for years, we do not feel it is a sealing issue but a number of concerns combined. So far we have seen roughly 8 units in the shop that have failed, still have three here currently with 3 more showing up tomorrow. So far we have yet to personally see shock shaft failures (have heard rumors and video chatted with a customer who appeared to have a shaft issue, this unit is on its way to us currently).

What we have seen so far is IFP piston/oring failures as well heavy scoring on the internal bore of the main shock tube. This would be indicative of side load issues during heavy bottoming, hard riding. We have also seen a fluctuation of nitrogen pressure, some have 10 bar, some have 13.5 bar from the factory. We have yet to see a unit with a nitrogen failure where it transferred into the oil. We got the unit over 180 C during testing while riding during 105 degree temp, 114 degree heat index and experienced fade in stock configuration but have not had a failure on our test bike just yet, but feel it may happen soon with what we are seeing so far. The location of the cat and radiant heating of the shock isn't helping either.

We have speculation as to a few of the issues at hand and will fill in when they have been validated. Unfortunately these issues come down to more of the engineering of the unit itself more than the settings alone. They did make some slight changes of components utilized,we have dove full bore into this to see what can be done and if anything we can change will increase the life of the units, time will tell.
  9. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's interesting info on the rear shock Konflict Moto. For my 790r rear shock I said it "blew", but what it really is doing is leaking, and only when being ridden. When it sits in the garage no oil leaks out, but take it for a ride and you can see blue fluid on the shock spring. This started last Sunday on a mild forest route that I have taken my 1200GS through without issue. No bottoming and no side loads I can think of. No jumping, not even any luggage.
  10. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Progress... blingy ass...ridiculous.... wonderful progress

20190822_125712-01_1566503969098.jpeg
  11. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Can I ask your height and weight, ambient temp riding?
  12. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Header...mid and connector off to ceramic coat but here it is naked

20190822_124931-01_1566503952160.jpeg
  13. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    That bike looks familiar!
    Nowwhat likes this.
  14. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, I'm 6'2" about 230lbs fully geared. Temp was mid 80's.
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could the scoring issue be cause by how horizontally the shock is mounted on the 790? Seems like on other bikes it's mounted more vertically.
  16. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those will look great on your new Yamahahaha.
    gbx2001 likes this.
  17. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Kiss my ass Santa....you know you will want these wheels when I sell you this bike for 50 cents on the dollar..hahahahahaa
    outbacktm likes this.
  18. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Side loading is a thought, I have a number of theories but nothing confirmed just yet.
  19. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your feedback, I am assuming you have taken the unit to your local dealer for a rebuild?
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Everyone has particular colours they resonate with .. sometimes without knowing it until we ourselves spot the patterns over a lifetime. Something tells me you have blue highlights on your jersey, pants, jkt, helmet or boots. :D

I mean c'mon! If you're going with such an audacious palette, your riding outfit better fall in line lol