KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. macaw1us

macaw1us Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would check to see if the rim or the tire are egg shaped and that the bead of the tire is fully seated on the rim.

2. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Ya, so many options to explore for a redesign. I too like the aluminum option (without any research), as in theory if you copy the existing design minus unnecessary tabs and mounts, KTM has done all the load path/FEM work for you already for the best geometry. 1/3 ish of the existing weight, maybe enough not to catastrophically fail.....:-)
    Nowwhat likes this.
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in black.... I like the bike to stand out hahaha 13254A6128795B397C2D1AA96FCAE3BF.jpg
    jm65, turbofan790 and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest the screen on the S sucks for me, YMMV. I just got back from about 1500 miles over 3 1/2 days. I took the screen off around lunch on day 2. Much quieter ride. I don't mind the wind as much as the noise.
    Did about 100 miles of N.M. CDT, checked that off. Now for Wyo, Idaho and 1/2 of Montana. Bike ran great. Got a phone message that the CC switch and pannier racks had arrived. Now I know whatI'm doing this weekend.
    The_Eccentric, CaseyB and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took bike to dealer a few days ago, where they took pics of the shock leak and submitted warranty claim to KTM. They couldn't tell me if KTM would want to replace unit or they would authorize a rebuild. Dealer is still waiting to hear back from KTM. If this drags on too long, I will just pull the shock myself and send out for rebuild on my dime. I'm suspecting that a rebuild and some polishing of parts may end up with a better shock than just another replacement that could fail too.
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I notice that the front suspension seems to give me more feedback than
    I'm use to. Mostly at around 30 40 mph nutral throttle. Dont notice it if going faster or slower. Seems road surface dependent.
  7. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you happen to have checked rider/static sag yet?
    justinope likes this.
  8. NoCo68

NoCo68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What dealer are you using that has the CC switch and pannier racks?
  9. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the pannier racks, but CC switches have been trickling into dealers for about a month now. Mine was supposed to be in last Friday, need to call them tomorrow to see if they have it.

Anyway, if you need one, backorder it someplace so you'll get it sooner - it's going to be a while before anyone has them in stock, it sounds like.
  10. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree. After 1500 miles in 3 1/2 days about 1/2 on the interstate with speeds between 75 and 90 mph. The bike runs great at high speed, just eats up the miles. At around 80-85 it still gets mpg in the mid 50s.

I agree that it loves the mountain roads with significa tly better mpg in the 50s-60s, and it feels great in the dirt. 529452246.jpg
  11. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    Mine running 80-85 I'm getting low-to-mid 40's.
  12. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that the highway capability depends on the size and weight of the rider. For someone who is 75kg and maybe 178cm, it will be geeat at 80-90mph but if the rider is over 100kg and 190+cm then it probably won't be the right bike.
  13. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think what I'd really like to know is a for certain answer that a S can be made into an R given you buy X parts.

Looking at the fiche (link) it seems to be as simple as buying the forks / shock themselves (or go Xplor Pro) and the high fender kit to achieve the R's functionality. Every other part number on the fiche is identical between the 2 models as far as the top / bottom triple clamps, mounting points for the shock, etc..

the only thing I don't know enough about to tell is the steering head angle. Can that just simply be adjusted?

If so, its safe to say a S could be made an R in function (if not form) with the right amount of willpower and money, right?
    ibgary likes this.
  14. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    Yes.

For me, buying the S came down to several reasons.

1. It was available. I had months of riding time and wanted to take a long trip but no bike.

2. The dealer who had it offered me a RIDICULOUS amount for my trade. Like, crazy.

3. The low seat is a boon for me. I could manage the R, but the S is more manageable.

4. The S is still very capable. By the time I'm overriding the suspension, I'm honestly going faster than I should be on a relatively big, heavy bike.

5. If, at the end of the day, I just *have* to have better suspension than stock S, many vendors will be happy to oblige.

Ultimately, if the R had been there and it was really only the $800 difference, I would have gone for the R, no question. But it just wasn't that simple.
  15. r75/7

r75/7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the first service 1000km, on my 790 Adv. last week at my dealer.
    And at the same time i asked them to check the "unbalanced" front wheel.
    Shakes at 40-70km/h.
    It turned out that i will get an new wheel on warranty.
    KTM has had issues with this wheels apparently.

My last bike had the same problem, BMW Urban G/S, both wheels was changed on warranty.

Regards
    Tommy
    Sweden
  16. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, really helps. Curious on what your trade deal looked like now :D

I'm kind of in the same situation. Tempted by S due to availability alone
    Mr D Hertz likes this.
  17. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The S looks much better to me and as for suitability, it will be way more bike than 99% of riders will need.
  18. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    The frame and subfame parts are different between the two so maybe the frame has the different angle in it
  19. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    I've had three 690s and experienced several mirror stem breaks caused by metal fatigue from vibration. Just riding along and the mirror drops off! The vibs on the stems are so bad that if you want a clear view in the mirror you have to reach up and hold it whilst you look! But I don't experience vibes through the handlebars, even on really long tarmac liaisons.

On the 790 the mirrors are perfectly still with a good view, yet there's a definite tingling through the handlebars. Clearly not as bad as you are experiencing, but enough that I loosen my grip when this becomes a nuisance. The cruise control is of great help in giving my right hand a rest. When I install stronger hand guards I might play with different bar end weights, but if you are really having problems I would talk to the dealer.
    Villy and ibgary like this.
  20. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    Your photo reminded me of when visited the States for an HP Computer Conference in 1994. I had packed rucksack and walking boots for the weekend beforehand. So I flew into Denver (5,000 ft), hired a car and drove to Estes Park (7,500 ft) to buy provisions. At 4am the next morning I drove to a trail head at 9,000 ft and started off for Taylor's Peak (13,000 ft). At 12,000 ft I realised I was being adversely affected by altitude and sat down to have a sandwich and study the map. There was a dotted line on the map which ran right next to me, but I couldn't see this footpath at all on the ground. When I eventually got down I realised it was marking the continental divide.
    Yukon Ho! and ibgary like this.