1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did you derive that number?
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you get that info?
    ibgary likes this.
  3. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    From the the link provided by justinope
  4. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    Sure. The entire point some of us are making is that KTM USA priced the -R to make it (IMO) a no brainer. Most figures I've seen for the XPLOR PRO suspension bits is in the $5-6k range. I think I've seen guestimates in the $3-4k range for the OE -R non-PRO XPLOR bits. And another $200 for the electronics package.. way, way, way more than the measily $1k delta in MSRP.

Availability is a monkey in that wrench, no argument. Personally, I think I'd rather buy a $3000 wee-strom and ride it for a summer while I wait for my -R than spend 93% as much on a bike that is close, but not quite. But that's me. YMMV, obviously.

Anyway. I've said quite enough about this. As you were.
  5. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke to my dealers and they got me the quotes in CAD for the suspension.

WP Explor - F=$3,924 / R$2,255
    WP Explor Pro - F=$4,318 /R$2,638

You can duplicate an R at a cost, minus the geometry of the chassis is what I’ve discovered through my research. It is a minor difference though.

If you do and S, your best bet is buying a used WP Explor Suspension or upgrading aftermarket with other companies (cartridge kits and new rear shocks) this will cut the cost in half and you still have really good suspension, just 40mm less travel (however a company could make something new).
    nhbubba likes this.
  6. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just keep it stock. Why would you spend $3000 on shocks. Put that money in your retirement account instead. It's a huge amoutn of money. What would you do with that suspension that you can't already do with the stock bike?
    dano619 and scfrank like this.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Want know how I know you’ve never had your suspension tuned???
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dont buy a ktm 790. It is a huge amount of money. Put that money in your retirement account instead. What would you do with that bike that you cant already do on a 2004 KLR
  9. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got the call wednesday that mine is in! ordered when I picked up the bike, first week of June.
  10. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder if some out of spec components were shipped to plant that assembles the shock.

Assuming KTM did a lot of field testing on this bike before it's release, I would think that if this was a design issue it would have shown up in testing.
    scfrank and Konflict Motorsports like this.
  11. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:
    You are correct, I am in confident in speaking to the point that KTM/Husqvarna do put a substantial amount of time into R&D of their applications, both here in the states and a number of locations around the world. With that being said, there are scenarios in the suspension arena that cannot be duplicated on a suspension dyno or even with select riders (typically above average skill level). It comes down to real world riders with a varying level of rider skill, weights, locales where we may see certain issues such as this arise. There really is a few ways this can be looked at, only the manufacture and their R&D team can answer what they have seen so far.
    outbacktm and rsteiger like this.
  12. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went through something similar a couple of years ago.

Started looking at picking up a 'middle weight' type bike to put in some longer mileage trips. In the end I came down to an Africa Twin and a DL650XT.

I was able to spend time on both but the time on the AT was more valuable since I had owned a GEN 1 Strom and put about 65,000 miles on it before I sold it due to a back issue I was having at the time. I already knew what the Strom could do and what it would struggle to do but was unfamiliar with the performance of the AT.

Well the AT IMHO is a hell of a bike. Maybe a bit on the heavy side but it did not show it when I rode it, in fact my older Strom seemed much heavier in comparison. I really did enjoy riding the AT and it clearly was much more offroad capable than my Strom. For me the better bike on the pavement was not as clear cut, in fact I ended up giving the edge to the Strom and that probably was due to my familiarity and bias with the bike - I just knew how to ride one.

After sitting down and being honest with myself about my long distance rides, the amount of off pavement riding I do, and the fact that I have a WR250R in my stable I decided to save some cash and go with the new DL650XT over the AT. I am sure a good part of that decision was the familiarity I have with the Strom but then again that is pretty comforting to me to know my bike inside and out with I am in the middle of no where. I have taken the Strom out with some friends who are on 1090's and Tiger 800's on some local FS roads and while I cannot keep pace in rough terrain I can keep riding and typically am not the one stopping to repair his bike. Granted if they got into some serious stuff I would probably be screwed for riding the wrong bike - I should have taken the WR250R in that case.

The 790 choice would be much harder for me. If both bikes were available then I would probably opt to go with the R model for the price difference but then again both bikes are not available and while there appear to be no R models at the dealers you can still find the S model - in fact my brother is flying in from Ft Worth tonight to pick up a S model that my local dealer had in stock and he will be taking it back to Ft Worth this weekend. I doubt that you will find much of a 'deal' on the 'R' model at least for a couple of years until the supply and demand curves stabilize.

Around that time the Tenere 700 should be out in the dealers in the States and that may put some pressure on the 790 sales. I know I am interested in all three but I suspect that in the end I probably will just stick with the Strom unless you forced me to go down to one bike.
  13. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Took a 400 km trip and was using TOPO on my phone, excellent app!
    My 12v power socket does not work for some reason... Anyone else?
    Not looking forward to split the headlight to search for loose cables tbh.
    IMG_4278.jpg
  14. laserstandard

laserstandard n00b

Oddometer:
    I have finally received my KTM 790 Adventure R in Spain Valencia.
    My first impressions in comparison with my former Husqvarna 701 Enduro:
    A lot less vibration, very stable due to lower centre of gravity, sound is nice and quiet, very easy to ride while standing up, more than enough power (even when I am still below 6000 rpms for the first 1000 KM).
    I ordered a high seat and rally pegs which have not arrived yet and that's the only things I am missing at the moment, although I can live with it for the coming 2 months...
    I have KTM handlebar risers of 3 cm, they do the job really well in comparison to the 701 Enduro. I am 184 cm (6 ft) tall with inseam of 32 ".
    The only thing that is not working for the moment (but I guess can solve this next week Monday) is the cruise control switch.
    I have the quick shifter disabled during the running in period; I don't know where I have read this, but it seems to be the best for the bike, so I have not tried it yet until 1000 km.
    Unlike the 701 where I was able to shift gear up and down without a clutch, the 790 really needs the clutch when shifting down, no problem though, but it struck me as being different.
    Happy riding all of you.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  15. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is just for the color of the frame / subframe I think
    ibgary likes this.
  16. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had my headlight apart to do the heated grips and the 12 volt power socket has two blade connectors which can pull off. I had accidentally pulled them off when messing with the rat's nest of wires in there, so that would be the second place to look. First would be the fuses, but probably they are all fine.
    ibgary and Noyah like this.
  17. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. MCforFun

MCforFun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I blew out the rear shock at about 2000 miles on the motorcycle, it has been in the shop since early August they were saying no shocks in stock and it wouldn’t be in until September. I called KTM customer relations (1-855-215-6360) and asked if they could expedite replacement shock. To my surprise, they overnighted shock from my dealer ,fixed it, then overnighted it back to my dealer to be installed. What the problem was is still a mystery as I have no information from KTM about the fix. The Motorcycle still has the headlight with the adjuster broken and it is still sitting at the shop, they’re saying a replacement headlight will be in this Wednesday, I will keep my fingers crossed.
  19. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Checked all fuses
  20. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MSRP on the bike is $12,499

Selling price $12,099, and they included the quickshifter programming at no additional cost, and cruise for just the cost of the switch - no charge for install or programming.

Trade in was 2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R sxs with about 2600 miles on it. I had it listed on FB marketplace for $10,850 for a few weeks with no real bites. They gave me $11,200 for it. Beyond that, in Utah (where I made the purchase) you save sales tax on the trade in amount, so that's another $700 saved vs. not trading in. So I basically got $11,900 on trade-in for a machine I was having trouble selling for $10,850.

This dealer charged me no additional fees beyond like a $75 doc fee. No freight, no other bullshit fees or charges. The deal was arranged over the phone, set an appointment for vehicle delivery, and I was in and out of the dealership in less than 20 minutes when I showed up for purchase.

So, you see why I couldn't pass up the S :) They also have another one in stock.

You've just demonstrated how incredibly obtuse you are. What??