KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s a reason electrical gremlins are called electrical gremlins.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    No kidding .. I don't mind hunting down an issue, finding it and resolving it but I don't relish riding where I do with what could be a random, rather fast failure.

I haven't checked the stator yet. The shop manual details the procedure, but fail to mention where the stator harness they're showing is. So the dumb Q of the day is wth is the stator harness? I couldn't get my oil filler cap off (I haven't ground it down yet), but I loosened it as much as I could and it smells fine, so I suspect it's not a burnt stator. I'd still like to check it all over once I locate the harness.

This one:

790 ADV stator harness.jpeg

Odd, because in the schematic it shows the stator plugging into the rectifier. Well that connector (at the rectifier) has 5 leads, not 3 as above. Positive, negative and 3 diode leads. I suppose I can unplug the rectifier, and knowing what 3 leads on the plugin are going back to the stator, just use those for testing. I'm not sure what the manual doesn't show the rectifier harness with it's 5 leads.

Stator harness plugs into rectifier ffs.jpeg
  3. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:

with 14.62 showing at 5K I would not think you reg or stator is damaged. I am now at as much of a loss to explain as you. : (
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    On the bright side, at least now I have discovered the damage to the rad (which was hidden), and the cracked lower plastic shroud. I can inquire as to whether the damage is enough to mess up a rad. And I've stitched up the plastic which seems to return some of it's integrity so the rectifier stays secure. I also have those low rectifier readings to discuss with the dealer as well.

20190908_150640.jpg
  5. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a slightly unrelated note, That's kind of a bummer that even with the rally style tanks they are mounted in such a way that the radiator can get messed up. Usually on bikes with portruding tanks that's one of the advantages is a low chance to hurt them in most cases.

Maybe some upper bars would be worth it after all for the more hardcore dirt goers
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing is human proof.
    bobnoxious67 and Nowwhat like this.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention protection in that area - I woke up with exactly that thought streaming through my brain - would some modest bars up there have helped in those 4 drops? It's not even that those drops were hard. I simply either stepped off the bike as it went over, or I was walking it in the rocks and lost my balance and the bike went over. The force was multiplied by the rocks. Had they not been there, none of this damage would have occured save the mirror .. it just buried 6" into the dirt and shattered just to be a douche I figure.

But when I think about that guys bike going up in flames regardless of the reason behind the accident, and also my rad damage in a supremely simple drop onto a large rock, I have to seriously consider the validity of installing armor now.

These photos show the vulnerable window - you can see the scratched plastic from the hit, and if I run my finger up just slightly out of view on the rad there the dent is in that location. VERY vulnerable.

20190908_163726.jpg 20190908_163948.jpg

I don't know if there is armour yet which protects quite that high. Most, if not all, falls short by a foot.

This sw-motech product could work, but it's not foolproof:

[​IMG]
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today's progress shot ... facelift . Have to pull the graphics off the hand guards IMG_2776.jpg
    TarMack, IRLSAS, Falco888 and 11 others like this.
  9. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s kind of a trade off. You can make a bike into a tank, but then it’ll drive like a tank.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Those must be TKC-80's :hide
    Nowwhat likes this.
  11. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    You gonna get a weight so far before you put it on the truck?
  12. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Not a street bike anymore hahahaha
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, fully agree, it would be a 1250 bmw gsa !
    By the way, I know a swedish tank crew that broke a tank during training sessions. 45mph on big whoops, lost control, went straight in a rock cliff, gun and turret broken... nothing is human proof !
    Noyah, TrailTrauma and Nowwhat like this.
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Update: 50km rip today and voltage stayed at 14.7 to 14.8. I flicked on the high beams, and signals and it dipped a tenth. Everything 'seems' fine. The connector to the R/R looked fine, but maybe they're finicky and the jarring pulled it back enough to mess with connectivity while not pulling it off. I'm grasping :dunno

Wouldn't say the bike was wandering on the ride, but man the front end sure felt loose. Maybe I'll check for loose head bearings...:fpalm

Edit:...Nope. Bearings are fine. And nice fall away either side. Clutch cable slows it down to the left, but if I hold it away a bit as I check it falls away nicely as well.
  15. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I am sure Rottweiler will have his race scales at the Rally.... They have been so incredible in getting everything done last minute....I don't want to pester him by asking.....but damn I want to know....

Still waiting on an airbox replacement from them....that will save weight and few things still to go....but I think I came up short on the diet....I am guessing 435lbs fully fueled....I think I can pull another 6 to 8 off in a couple weeks....
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Couple turdy inchers and you'll be fine :)

I didn't think I'd like the front end, but seeing it now I love it. Not sure what the youngins say these days .. s1ck? :drif
    Nowwhat likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thats another thing I came across when hunting down gremlins - my vent hose was swinging in the breeze. curved the hose so as to keep it away from the exhaust, and snapped it into the hole through the protector. Without the chatter on the subject I would never have looked at that hose twice.
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I have a request. Can someone with a good vinyl printer design a vinyl piece for the fork guards that is white primarily and has "790" in black or orange with one of those big "R"'s you see guys stick on the windshields. One of the members here has a nice orange R sticker on his screen. I'd like to order the Rally white fork guards but fat chance of that I'd think at this point.

I'll leave the design up to the artist, but if I like what I see I'll slap money down.

Might be nicely complemented by the white rear plastics of the S. Just have to print off a smaller "R" to stick below Adventure.
  19. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Cycleworksusa made these for me 2A3D960C9D1147CCA87CEAE2B125A94A.png
  20. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    "R" on the windscreen?!
    I'll attach the little file I've used at our local printshop, it's easy to do a vector off of it.

rails.jpg
    Adventure-R.jpg
    kvango, DRglidarn and TrailTrauma like this.