KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Exhaust can to the left following the pipe in this photo, and you find it below the rear spring. Size of a big 'ol just of motor oil on it's side. Just below the clamp labelled with a "2" below.

Untitled.jpeg

Context shot: Forgive me but I'll show you on the 790 duke (same engine/cat) because it's more exposed and easier to spot. Follow the headers down and across the bottom of the engine and you'll see the cat's ass. It rises up and then you can see it exiting left towards the exhaust can.

[​IMG]

And if you can now picture it's place in 3 dimensions, the photo below reveals the space it is supposed to fit into, but in it's place is a cat delete mid pipe.

[​IMG]
    2on2off likes this.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aomc
  3. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Last virgin pic. Made it to Colorado...next pic will be dirty I promise image3-1.jpeg
    enduro16, DRglidarn, a.c.e. and 21 others like this.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Wish I was there to see that thing. Jesus I just noticed you got the tall seat on! Damn that looks nice. How does it feel?

And this is classic .. the one guy in the background wearing a KTM shirt is the one guy staring at your creation, playing 2 sided pocket pool over there. :photog

I mean, can we blame him?!
    kvango, DRglidarn and CaseyB like this.
  5. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Hey TT

The tall seat is just that but it is narrower so reaching the ground is the same
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    How great is that? (The reach aspect; I was hoping it would be zero sum)

It looks great too. Far better than that abomination of a seat it came with. Now that you've posted a full picture, I surprised at how small the muffler really is. Looking forward to some ride videos if you have a channel or are into sharing ride videos.

Congrats. :beer
  7. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I meant it as zero sum. The narrowness cancels the height penalty
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I'll have to phone my dealer to see if mine is one it's way. Thanks for the heads up that they landed finally.
  9. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the actual low down on 790 Cat removal, lots of negative feedback on various forums incl loss of power, lean running and longevity issues? I have decat and Wings pipe so obviously concerned. My dealer assures me all good and the the ECU will adjust adequately?
    I know this discussion has taken place but I cant find it
  10. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buddy, we really need a video of that thing running.
    I'm in the Decat market and can't decide what to get.
    Also that SC trumpet looks sick!
    Nowwhat likes this.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    That thing looks like a legit rally bike.
  12. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    NSFW :deal:freaky
    TrailTrauma and Nowwhat like this.
  13. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally weighed my 790r with full tank of gas ready to go with all the tools and spares and got 485 lbs. I have the Akra slip-on and a lithium battery. Otherwise pretty stock. Also have a Scott's damper. No pannier racks or added crash bars. Probably I carry more stuff than most using a tank bag and tail bag. The same setup on my 1290 SAR weighed 573 lbs which included a Zega tail box which weighed 12 lbs empty. So the 790r is 88lbs lighter than my 1290r plus it carries the fuel much lower. For comparison my 500 EXC weighed 312.5 lbs ready to go with a 5+ gallon full tank! My 790r weighs 172.5 lbs more than my 500 did. Yikes! My 690r weighed 390.5 lbs. So yeah the 790r is still quite the porker, but feels much lighter than it is. The only time I really feel the weight is getting the bike stopped fast in low traction situations. Like oh crap I gotta get stopped in a hurry to make this turn going downhill on gravel or mud. Then the bike feels 485 lbs! So: 1290 SAR=573, 790r=485, 690r=390.5, 500=312.5. I am riding the 790r because both the 690 and the 500 were no fun at all on the highway and anyway these days my gnarly off road rides are pretty much over. So the 790r is the bike for me. I just want to add that these weights are for my bikes only!
  14. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If this thing doesn’t show up in a bike rag following the Rally I’m going be disappointed. Now go hammer it!
    outbacktm, Fabricator and Nowwhat like this.
  15. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far no issues with my 790r but only 1160 miles on it. I did have one strange thing in that at around 30mph sometimes I would get a feeling like a wheel was unbalanced but I was never sure if it was just the road surface. It went away at higher speeds so I doubt it was wheel balance. Anyway I pulled both wheels and they were balanced just fine. Also the front steering bearings seem fine. Not too loose or too tight. Maybe a tire is a bit out of round or something. Anyway I am not going to worry about it.
  16. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    which iteration of the sc is this one? there a few for the 790...
  17. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to sit on the 1290 and 790 back to back today. It felt like the handlebars were way to close on the 790. Is there any way to rememdy this?
  18. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Looks super great !!!
    I'm interested in how the nav tower is connected, is it only connected in the 4 mountingpoints on the steeringstem we can se in the picture ?
    The oem weigts 3,87kg as a whole without the windscreen and I really want to get rid of that heavy lump...
    1.png 2.png
  19. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:
    Another inmate just had his front wheel bearings go out with low mileage reported. Similar symptom to yours.
  20. Aceyduce

Aceyduce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is the comfort/ride-ability of the tall seat compared to stock? More cushion? Same width up to the shelf that exists on the back end of the stock seat (not the passenger location but the flat spot before it)?