KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'KTM 790/890' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 222k km adv bike

222k km adv bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I think it's designed like this. It's more like a true offroad bike. Try a 690, handlebar will be closer, then 500exc, closer again.
    gbx2001 and Venturer like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I enjoy my bars closer. I moved them towards me as close as they'll come. Offers great leverage over the bars when riding seated, and so far seems comfortable on my neck when standing. Each perch mounting hole is a 15mm shift forward or backward.
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  3. NestoV

NestoV n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Everybody!
    I'm not sure if I should be posting here but I found a lot of info here and a lot of experienced owners and I'm interested to buy this motorbike, so here is my question...
    First of all a little bit of explanation of my riding life, I bought my first motorbike just a year and a half ago. I wanted to be able to go to work with the bike and also make travels & weekends exits (most of them with my wife). I decided to go for a V-strom 650 xt 2017 as I wanted to try offroad but I didn't knew if I would like it or I was just an instagram adventurous :jack. 1 year and a half later, 35Kkm and three big travels after the situation is the following, I am still a beginner and I love this world. The V-strom on road is good for me I like it only I will appreciate some extra HP (I have it limited to 49 HP because of Spanish regulation). Even if the most of the time I went on road I went much more offroad that I thought at the beginning but the bike (even if I only made easy/medium tracks) is too weak for that, I don't find it too heavy (even-though I will appreciate less KG) but suspensions are really too short.

Do yo think with the 790 adventure r (I don't consider s model) I will lose "on road" performance?
    Do you think the 790 adventure r is a good bike as an everyday bike?
    Do you think is a good starting point for offroad learing?
    Or should I go for a crf 250 rally + 1290 superadventure :imaposer?

Thank you very much for your replies!

NestoV
    No-Fret and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    NestoV, I think you know what to do .. buy an ADV R! It is a great platform for a lot of different adventures, including the times you'd like to commute. I think it's very adaptable to many differing styles of riding, and you'll read many discussions here on tire selections and windscreen choices with riders trying to hone in on the best setup for their type of riding and needs.

I also find the 790 ADV R a terrific bike for honing your skills offroad. Sure it's a bit heavy but there is something very predictable about it. It's planted well due to where it carries it's fuel down so low. It's not like a crazy neurotic 2 stroke; it just feels great on the trails.

Take a look at the other threads here on 790 modifications, tire choices, exhausts, and so on. And there is also 790adventure.net which one of our fellow inmates here (ART) put together as a wonderful resource on so many 790 aspects. Check it out too!

Good luck .. it sounds like you'll put a hell of a lot of miles on yours once you make up your mind. :beer
  5. Electorn

Electorn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it worth taking it off completely? Its only one bolt. I can hear the tyres whining on mine, is it that you ca hear now?
  6. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just waiting for axp racing to come out with their hdpe version.
    And loose more weight
    TrailTrauma and Nowwhat like this.
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    20190914_115429.jpg

Okay I rode at 790r with stock suspension today... pretty damn good.

You already know the answer here

1 have someone like konflict revalve and re spring

2 better have it revalved and stretched

3 more bettererer get the pro

4 nipple tingle level stretch the pro

I would like to ride a bike with stretched stock suspension that have been tuned

Almost 400 miles in the last 2 days...and I dont feel beat up.
    outbacktm, Snowq, braaap! and 10 others like this.
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I love the AXP plates; I have one on my FE501S. But, I am thinking that the length that has to be spanned from the front mounts to the footpegs is too long for HDPE to be rigid enough. Maybe they will prove me wrong.
  9. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mean nipples are alright, but I’m definitely more of an ass man.
    :kat

I’ll keep chugging out the miles over here before I start letting the dollars fly.
    Enjoy the rest of the trip.
    Bonnie & Clyde and Nowwhat like this.
  10. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    I considered that and might do it still, it's definitely not tyres because it's always same RPM in different gears. If I take out the bolt and let it hang and it fixes the problem then I'll look to mount the horn a different way
  11. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I think some aluminum stringers running lengthwise along an HDPE plate would stiffen it up enough and still keep the weight down. If AXP doesn't offer something like that, would be easy enough to fab some 'hat section' stringers and bolt them on.
    TrailTrauma and SoilSampleDave like this.
  12. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have already done that . 3/8 thick , 25 days 6,354 miles and 7 states of off road tested . works great all i think i need

frCjq8FMT8mJ97JbjIdtLg.jpg
  13. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Bump @Nowwhat
  14. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Details please
  15. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just found out that my power outlet on the dash isn’t working. Has anyone else had this problem?
  16. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only works with key on......
    ibgary likes this.
  17. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe one of the blade connectors came off. I did that when I was installing the heated grips. A pain to get to the wiring but gets better with practice.....!
  18. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is what I am thinking. I had the headlight off twice for gps and cruise control wiring.
  19. geezyrider

geezyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    The fairing looks great. Where did you find it? Thanks for the post.
  20. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    It's LED/digital flasher installation day (week?) ha

I've hit a snag I thought one of you who'd done this mod could help me with. I have the new digital relay, but I'm not sure, even after looking at the schematic which lead is the input and which is the output. One lead from the bike to the signal relay is OR/Y, and the other is BU/Y.

My new digital relay (I think I have @AdvRonski to thank for the link) has leads labelled "B" (input) & "L" (output). So I simply need to know what OEM wire goes to which digital relay connector. Is it as simple as "B" being the Blue (Y/BU)? I looked at the OEM relay and it doesn't have much written on it. I can find it in a google search but nothing identifies the input/output leads.

[​IMG]
    Comparison shot of the size difference between the ginormous OEM and the Rizoma LED's.
    20190915_154955.jpg

Edit: Here is the schematic with K20 bing the flasher relay, and it's hard to see but the lead coming out of that flasher at the bottom is the yellow/orange and the one at the top is the yellow/blue. It almost looks to me like the yellow/orange is leading to the lights so it might be the output?
    790 ADV signal relay schematic.jpeg