KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Nowwhat did you meet Wes at the KTM Rally? His parents own Cyclops and he won the Qualifier this year by a solid margin. He is also the one of the very few people who can beat me on a big bike I have ever met.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    It seems like many companies wan't to make a big nav-tower and windscreen to 790. Nothing wrong with those, that rebel x especially looks awesome.

But am I the only one who would like to make it smaller than original and if possible turn together with handlebar? Something along 690 or 950 SE lines with only small screen to cover navi & remove some pressure from chest but let me see the front tyre when standing..

I would also like to slim the tail along frame. Does anyone know any carbon / plastics available to replace original 'wide-ass' with a slimmer option?
    kzeb likes this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    LED signal installation is puzzling me...

* Zero light whether with key just turned on or trying signals
    * Turn the key and I get 8.7mV to 12.5mV at each one.
    * Turn on signals and get 0-12VDC across the indicator connections
    * I get that fluctuation across the (connected) the digital relay as well and with my meter in series with the Load side of the relay, and the Orange/Yellow lead I get a constant 12 VDC
    * TFT shows a flasher rate which appears to be inconsistent

These Rizoma LED signals are off my HOG. I used them for yrs on that bike with no issues. Not sure what the issue is with them and the 790. With the HOG I would have to use load balancing resisters but I figured with the digital relay I'd be gold. Everything else works normally and my fuses were checked and are fine. My only blunder in the install was not noticing I had one of the bike's signal wires connected to each other instead of to the LED; so I had it shorted. Caught that quickly, turned off the key and corrected it.
  4. garageengineer

garageengineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try swapping the wires around at the indicators. I installed some over the weekend and got the wires the wrong way around at first, as they are LED they will only light with the right polarity.
    voyer likes this.
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I got nothing when it comes to electrickery... I only know not to 'let the smoke out'.
    I've retrofitted aftermarket LED signals to both 640 and 950 with the same type relay you're using, maybe rig them up on the bench (off the 790) with a battery to test.
    Could be that one or more of the signals are fritzed as I had one die recently for no good reason. :hmmmmm
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Have you removed yours? Can you describe the difference in handling?

As a gumby I would still consider spending the time, money and effort for training off-road technic. But as we all noticed, it is unsprung weight - the lighter the better.

Never noticed any difference in excs while having alu, steel or 2 component sprockets or brake discs with or without holes that's unsprung mass too. Obviously faster riders can benefit having anodized orange sprocket, us gumby comedians - not so much.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Initially I figured that was it. The signal wires on the bike are all Brown & Black. But for some reason the Black is positive. So I reversed them all but no joy.

I am going to rig up a couple wires from the battery directly to each (disconnected) LED signal to bench test. ***I recall they worked fine on the HOG WITH Load Balancers but when I modded the 500EXC I tried installed these LED's and they wouldn't work in that application as well (can't recall if I used the load balancers). I suspect IF they pass the bench testing that they may still need load balancers, which is very odd. The digital relay is supposed to eliminate all that.

I need a drink .. :baldy
    braaap! likes this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SE he rode looks like you have been riding it.....busted up pretty good....I told my buddy that Wes was the one to beat....there were a couple DNFs like always.....Your boy Hugebreast was at the scales weighing his Lc8....Myers blew out his shock.....I was up on a pass when some of the racers went by so I tucked in behind them and rode to check out the pace....

The real smooth though was one of the Pros...no idea which one rode by on a 790 with his Red Bull helmet...different level.....

The Last day I rolled up on a small group turned out to be KTM corporate and a pro or 2....Corporate guy who seemed like a cool dude had just put his 1090 into a ditch.....gotta stop trying to keep up with those other boys hahahaha
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  9. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d like to see an exc front mask with an XL80.
    Nowwhat and alvincullumyork like this.
  10. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was Myers competing again?
  11. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Don't think so.....but he and your boy Breast where running the course....I think as ambassadors? Those stock 790 shocks give up the ghost....
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  12. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I always liked your 950 mask set up......but man that fairing is nice after a few hours...These new ones from the factory bikes seem remarkably well designed....great visibility and no buffeting for me.....I need to look at how I can pull the lights and just install a plastic cover for most rides....
    oldfuddy and alvincullumyork like this.
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I have not, as I plan on doing a fair amount of 2-up riding on my 790. That’s the only reason this bike needs a two rotor setup, imho. If I wasn’t, I’d certainly drop it down to a single rotor. I could absolutely feel the weight difference with a cush hub rear on a 350SX and a FE501, and it’s definitely less than 6 lbs. I am not good enough to notice the difference between steel and aluminum sprockets though. Above my pay grade.
    ramirin and Nowwhat like this.
  14. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    You and me both, brother. The schematics for these things are a nightmare, compared to the 950/990 diagrams. I gave you some bad info on the flasher wiring, try reversing the leads and see if that helps. I should have made better notes when I installed mine, so I was operating from a rapidly fading memory bank.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I like to save a buck too, but the plug and play OEM blinkers and flasher are queued up as a kit and ready to go at Bikers Jersey for a pretty reasonable price. I’m waiting until I destroy mine, but my friend locally bought this kit and it is truly plug and play.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Bench tested all 4 Rizoma LED's. I can see why they never worked on the 500 either. NONE of them fired up with either polarity. Then I looked at their individual resistances, and 2 read about 8 milliohms, 1 was OL and the last one was 2 milliohms.

*Note to MFSelf .. bench test old shit before spending a day installing. My only saving grace was I didn't solder a thing. I cut off the bikes signal connectors, fed some pieces of heat shrink onto those, twisted up the wires and began testing so all I need are actual functioning LED's now.

Oh, and I need overnight delivery to hicksville. :hair Of course snow is on it's way in several weeks, but this is the one very small window of nice weather. I think I'll just tape up the wires, and move on to tapping my bar ends and installing the HDB hand guards.
    outbacktm, braaap! and SoilSampleDave like this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Looking at the above info I think it may be the LED's themselves. I tried reversing the leads on the relay a few times along the way as I troubleshot but that didn't work. In fact everytime I reversed them the green signal indicator on the TFT stuck on versus flashing when I had it hooked up the original way.

Hooked up the original way when I click on a signal on the 790 putting a voltmeter across the relay reads shows an alternating 0-12VDC there.

You sure you have it backwards? I have orange/yellow on the Load relay lead. Blue/yellow on the Battery lead. Maybe I should twist back on the OEM signal wires/lights with the digital relay and see what happens.

Update: @AdvRonski you had it right. I just pulled all the LED's and wired up the OEM signals and the digital flasher worked just fine with them wire yellow/orange to Load.

For shits and giggles I pulled one of the OEM signals and swapped in an LED; no joy.

Here's something, with the digital relay, I do not have running lights. I can't recall - are the signals supposed to some on with a low amber light when the bike is on? I only get signals, with no baseline amber light. I'll wire in the OEM relay to see if it's a function of that unless someone pipes up and says NO you do not get any amber when the bike is on or running; only signals.

Update 2: Wired in the old relay with the OEM signals. I only get signals .. no constant amber. I'll check a video online to see if thats the norm.....took a look, and it's not. Odd you'd think for safety you'd want a few more lights on front/rear. M'eh.
  18. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the looks of your set up... and if it functions at speed, double bonus points . My issue where I ride is the front end needs to have less surface area and height as we’re smacking brush every 20 feet it seems and sometimes chollas. Chollas hitting fairings turn into a thousand little missiles in the chest . Fairings get beat up fast down south here. We’ll see. The fairing removes relatively fast (yes?) so might just need a fairing and exc setup.
  19. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No you do NOT get any amber in either on or run.

Which brings up a point. I just ordered a Chinese knock off of the sequential leds combined with white running lights out front and red running lights out back. When the signal is activated, the sequential Amber's flash, when turn signal cancels, they revert to running lights.

I guess I'm gonna have to figure out how they get powered when in running light mode, or just not use that function.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Born and somewhat raised in Tucson....I don't even like talking about jumping cactus...Wait till you ride one of these 790s bud....they need a little massage but so did the SE....This bike is sooooo much better then a SE after you dial it in....The TFT screen is unfortunately a keeper so a mask will have to be big enough to properly protect it....being able to look down and adjust the TC level is silly....Keep it in 3 then when the climb gets loose and rocky...crank it to 6 and giggle....

maybe you can get this to work?

https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-honda-crf450l-mini-fairing.html