KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The pull isn't necessarily shorter, the lever it self is. At the end of the day the lever only moves the MC piston so far.

Though neither of my bikes have shorties on them ATM, its something I prefer. Why? I only every use two fingers on a lever, so the shorties keep me from having to adjust my grip...a shorty can't tag my pinky/ring fingers.
  2. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    You missed what what I was responding to. I was asking about the German shorty levers. You can get the turn signals easily by buying from ktm dealers outside of the US.
  3. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Get this thread punted and you’ll be on a poster at the post office.
    outbacktm likes this.
  4. garageengineer

garageengineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to use a 2 finger Shimano or avid mountain bike lever, the length and shape just feels right to me. I don't think the perch length would work with the button cluster though unless you placed it between the grip and buttons.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if Chris Parker from Rottweiler is an inmate/what his handle is?

Before I ordered mine from Germany, I called Rottweiler Performance and asked Chris what levers he was using in the video clip he posted of a dyno run on a 790. Turns out it was a hydraulic clutch mod, which I didn't want. So I asked him if they had access to these Raximo units so that I could buy from a stateside vendor. He wasn't aware of them at the time, but as we talked he looked at the website and said he would order a pair to evaluate them from a quality POV. He only wants to resell something he can truly stand behind. I'm not sure if he did or not, as he was very busy getting his bikes ready for the KTM rally. Now that that's over, maybe he will have time to follow up on this and add them to his catalog. I know I am very happy with them.
    TrailTrauma and SoilSampleDave like this.
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can only assume, since it’s tuesday, that he’s probably just going to get back into the office/shop today or tomorrow.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  7. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to use my desktop to find the pull down menu. But it does exist.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be in the process of testing our solutions later this week for the 790 R issue's we are seeing. This last week while we were away at the KTM Adventure Rider Rally we saw a total of 7 failures on site, add these to the list of units we have in the shop and other clients we have talked with on the phone... Its an issue and we are working hard and forming a solid solution.
  9. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    This is the very reason I have asked this question over and over..
    If the 4 mounts could take the weight of the Rebel X one then they sure will take the load of a homemade smaller & lighter one...

Bump @Nowwhat
    kzeb said:
    I'm interested in how the nav tower is connected, is it only connected in the 4 mountingpoints on the steeringstem we can se in the picture ?

The oem weigts 3,87kg as a whole without the windscreen and I really want to get rid of that heavy lump...
  10. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the new setup @Nowwhat , it was great seeing you at the rally!
    Nowwhat likes this.
  11. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 4 bolts plus one u bolt around the steering head as a safety...
  12. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Aaha.. Thanks :beer
    Good news :D now its time to fab something up over winter.
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Additionally the mounting bracket sits flush against the steering stem, so that much of the load is against the stem and not all on the 4 bolts.

As an example:

This mount sits flush against the steering stem, is mounted via the 4 side bolts and is further kept snug against the steering stem by a wrap around U bolt.

[​IMG]

As a bad example, this nav tower is only supported by the 4 bolts. Imagine how much weight is cantilevered out on those poor M6 bolts.

[​IMG]
    alvincullumyork, Nowwhat and kzeb like this.
  14. goldneox

goldneox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, If i was to blow it up too, what spare part should I have with me to repair it (assumming I have the proper tools of course) and finish my journey/rallye or whateve, before to adress properly the problem ?
    Could you give us the part number in this picture ? thanks !!

https://www.esprit-ktm.com/media/ca...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/9/196410430.png[​IMG]
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    F'n levers .. If I were a woman I'd have a walk-in closet of levers ;)

I've got everything from shorties, to the KTM composite ones which have a nice hand feel all the way up to the $1500 Clake Pro with all the fixings. But so far I'm digging my current setup which was comically easy to achieve ..

* Shortened - Wipe out resulting in snapped off clutch lever end.
    * Better grip - wound both levers in hockey tape.
    * Camel ADV one finger clutch mod - works like a charm.
    * Moved the clutch and brake levers inboard. Brake 1 finger, clutch is easy but I'm switching to 2 to prolong eventual fatigue on any technical trails.

With the clutch inboard, combined with the Camel ADV mod, I get an easy 1 finger pull and with 2 fingers operating it, the lever will sweep by my other fingers without touching if need be.

Those orange/black "790" levers did look sweet though, so may this winter I'll swap 'em into play and then stare at them for 6 or 7 months till the snow is gone...:vardy

**Note: I just saw in the link above that the one finger clutch item is momentarily sold out. @Camel ADV should have an ETA. Probably the best bang for your cash. For me it's meant more control in tricky situations, less fatigue, less carpal tunnel flaring, buttery smooth clutch pull.
    ibgary and Rudderfeet like this.
  16. garageengineer

Oddometer:
  17. Falco888

Falco888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting patiently to see what you come up with.
    ramirin and Nowwhat like this.
  19. garageengineer

Oddometer:
    No problem. Like with all of these cheap levers check they are tightened up properly and give them some lube where needed.
    Falco888 likes this.
  20. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking if 7 blew up at a KTM-rally and a few more before that KTM would be all over it with a fix.
    How many blew up at the launch-rally?

Is it a weight issue(not dialed in for the rider correctly) perhaps...