KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    Have not got the bike yet. I put a deposit but I have to sort out the seat height first, lower the seat and then if it's ok with just lower seat I proceed. Unfortunately no bike available for test ride. Some reviewers have reported that the 790 R version felt unstable @ 95-100 mph/150-160Kmh speeds, a little bit wobbly. Is it down to the tires or something else?
  2. And O

And O n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my first post, bare with me...
    Every video I have watched, article read or forum search never gave me an answer to the question I have, maybe i'm just bad at searching.

Everyone talks about how great the 790 Adv R is great offroad but I haven't been able to find a video specifically tested on the street. I would like to know how the 790 Adv R fairs at upper highway speeds. Does it vibrate due to the tall fender? Does it vibrate due to the more knobby tires compared to the Adv S? If you where to put more street biased tires on the Adv R will the vibration go away at high speeds, if there even is any? If there is vibration, is it minimal?
  3. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not noticed any vibration with the stock tires on the Adv R at highway speeds. Can't compare to the S since I have not ridden an S. But the R surprised me at how good it's highway manners are. Previous adv bike was a KTM 1290 SAR. The 1290 was a bit more comfy than the 790r on the highway and obviously much more power, but the 790r is not that far off.
    Toddv, Venturer and Allucaneat like this.
  5. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    It doesn’t vibrate at high speeds. You can just chug along at 75-80

Hard to read/watch reviews sometimes because everyone is unique to both their size and prior motos owned. Even me giving my opinion to you - I’m coming from an older 690 where the buzz would radiate through my hands and arms - I don’t notice any of that

*Your brain may vibrate from wind buffeting, pending your height. But that will be solved one way or another.
    floalex and chippertheripper like this.
  6. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:
    I rode a 790 R extensively on highway & speeds around 70 MPH hwy. I would not call the engine smooth, you can hear it vibrate (or maybe clatter is a better word) but you do not feel the vibrations through the bars, seat etc. I would call it smooth. Air turbulence @ hwy speeds sucks. There are now several options out there to solve. That being said, I put a deposit down on one back in August and am totally looking forward to getting my bike. I will work out the turbulence issues and find places to go slower : )

There are several you boob videos on the bike with street riding, some UK based ones, who give feedback on the wind issue. It is pretty universal but I think correctable. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes for 2020. Doubtful from what I hear from my dealer.

The stock Karoo's are like mudder tires on a jacked up 4 x 4. Not super viby but very loud. Kill them with fire and buy some TKC's or Shinko's. I plan on having new tires installed at the dealer before I take possession.
  7. And O

And O n00b

Oddometer:

Thank you for your responses, im coming off of a CRF250r so im used to the vibs haha. I thought that tall fender on the 790 R would cause a riot at those speeds but seems its not. You are right that the bike will handle just a little different for each person.
  8. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that when new the suspension is pretty stiff. I wouldn’t judge it and make long term decisions based on how it feels on day one. Once you ride it a bit it’ll start to sag a bit and not sit so high up in the stroke.
    Venturer likes this.
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I like to ride standing when in 'rally mode' or doing offroad - I hated the stock seat as it made me feel like sitting on the floor after standing for a while. Keep this in mind and consider lowering from suspension if not into serious offroad. I'm 178cm and very happy with taller seat and aiming for taller suspension that makes seat height around 91cm which is somewhat same as 950 se.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I don't use anything else than rally mode and offroad abs. Throttle response > street when traveling and tc can be whatever, recent trip there was ice warning and snow on side off the paved road --> tc 9.

Offroad or other active riding thr > rally and tc > 1 or off/fail. In soft sand tc definitely off.

I gave a shot to offroad mode too but I think it should be called survival mode - it is not for actually riding offroad but rather making it back to pavement.

But this is just me who is used to (and want's to) be in full control and learn to ride rather than rely on electronics. Surely I could put it in rain mode if I was driving totally exhausted in storm alone at night in foreign country.
    Subaruvich likes this.
  11. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My empirical evidence about the TFT display condensation after 2 1/2 months of ownership.

I know people have mentioned it doesn't have anything to do with getting the bike wet...

I've only seen the upper corners condensate the morning after I washed the bike (no riding, just put it away clean).

The second and last time I washed the bike I put some masking tape around the top and sides. Also avoided direct hose streaming. Result, no condensation. ...But I rode the bike after that wash. NULL AND VOID, added variable.

It's time for a bath again, mostly for the bug guts. So I'll try it without the tape this time and I'll ride it!

Of course the humidity is changing around here, Fall is in the air! So there goes my Hot & Humid stable environment.
    Science is hard.
    Rodooo and TrailTrauma like this.
  12. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    I finally took the time to throw the new "799R" decals on the plastics and tank.

20191013_182732.jpg
    20191013_182415.jpg

Material and quality is great, but still a PITA to stick it all by yourself. I'm pretty happy with the new look :wink:

20191013_173004.jpg

Some details:
    ScrubDesignz does a great job, despite the template wasn't perfect.
    Love the details in color fade, the matte parts for the fuel tank and the overall design. Great company to deal with.

pixlr_20191013223317724.jpg
  13. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I reached out to Scrub when I was looking to redo my 300 in fluo yellow plastics and custom graphics. They were great to deal with. Mocked up several designs, and worked with me all the way. If something didn't jive with the template, offer them feedback so they can alter it, in case you haven't yet. Save the next guy the hassle.
    a.c.e. and Rudderfeet like this.
  14. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great!

What's the 799 about?
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Random question: Does anyone know what the single traction control on a 1290 SAR would be equivalent to on the 790 Rally mode traction control?
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    799cc....from the manual:

799cc.jpeg
    outbacktm, Yellow Pig, ibgary and 2 others like this.
  17. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, its a shame to put that amount of blue on a KTM :p But still, looks great. How do you get it to stick on the surface on the tank?
  18. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    I wanted to get close to KTM Racetech/Pounce 2019 wear, it came out great :D
    The decals stick great on the tank, the kinda perforated material will prevent any bubbling up (in case it would be a problem with this tank).
    tshansen likes this.
  19. Rodooo

Rodooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah I always cover mine up when washing it,,plastic bag,,,my current tft came out of the ktm box and was fitted straight unto my bike..zero rain etc still misted up ten minutes later
  20. schotterfahrer

schotterfahrer Adventurer

Oddometer: