KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am really pissed off by KTM.

My dealer ordered a new rear shock around November 20th (to replace my blown shock…), and he got told by KTM he won't receive it before mid-January…
    So, in the best scenario, that is nearly 2 months without my bike because of a failure that is not my fault.

That is simply not acceptable. What do you think?

I am probably going to write a letter to KTM and I hope they are going to do something.

Does anyone knows a little bit more or has official information about this rear shock problem?
    I am quite scared it can happen again in the middle of nowhere, or in the middle of a long trip abroad…

Again, I am lucky I have a 690 so I can keep riding.
    Beware, if you go orange, get at least 2 bikes (and pray…).
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I had a 690 backup. But, I agree. I don’t understand why it takes 2 months. They’ve known they have a rear shock problem for a couple months. The 2 month lead time is mostly scheduling and priorities. Pay some money and get a batch done. They’re building new bikes, right? They have shocks on the mfg floor. I don’t get it either. But, it’s not unique to KTM.
  3. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Along the same line, my cruise control switchgear is due in from my selling dealer tomorrow. Of course, I gave up and found one somewhere else months ago. Oh well, off to the FM with it when it gets here.
    scfrank likes this.
  4. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry... it as all part of the KTM DNA.

Yeah it sucks.. part of the risk that goes with being an earlier adopter. The good news is based on all the stuff that is on back order it sounds like for the most part the launch has been a marketing success so I would expect parts to be available for a long time down the road.

The bad news is with these type of issues it sounds like KTM pushed a bit too hard on the launch. Pretty sure all their testing was completed and good to go but their supply chain was not up to it and while you can say that is not directly KTM's fault the reality is they still own that issue since supply chain management is key to a successful problem free launch.

Better news is all this should be sorted out when I am looking at the Husky 901 or KTM 890 Adventure.
    angustoyou and scfrank like this.
  5. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apo, I believe you are in France so maybe things are different there, but here in US most of us are having the shock rebuilt at an authorized WP Center. My R shock blew at 2k miles. Dealer said it would be months for a new one, so they sent out overnight to closest WP Center. Had the shock rebuilt and sent back in under a week. I have 5k miles now and so far so good.
    ChrisB Kiwi, scfrank and Nowwhat like this.
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    My BMW blew a shock. They let me use the replacement cost on an aftermarket shock. Ask about doing that.
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great solution.
    rsteiger likes this.
  8. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:

Im sure youve been asked before, but what was their failure analysis?
  9. jimbop

jimbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it's year end and every available rear shock is going into new 790R's so KTM can show they had a great year (Top line revenue). The good old bean counters are in control at this time of the year. There certainly are a lot of new machines showing up at Dealers.
    ibgary likes this.
  10. Equalo

Equalo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A nice watch from a channel i really like, enjoy! 790 Adv R is featured as well.
    kzeb, roookie1, Noyah and 2 others like this.
  11. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the dealer got the shock back from WP, they only said the main shaft seal was replaced and the shaft polished.
  12. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I'm narrowing down the choices available for an auxiliary brake light and signals. The Skene P3-TS is looking like the one. What made you pick it over the others available ?

Here's what I'm looking at:

Skene
    https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/P3-Lights-with-Turn-Signals-p80215476#

Admore
    https://admorelighting.com/product/universal-side-case-cg/

Hyperlites
    https://hyperlites.com/?product=3way-flashing-brakesrunningturn-signals

I like that the Skene comes with mounts and all the LEDs light up with the turn signal function. The ones with separate amber and red LEDs look like they may be confusing if the brake lights are flashing at the same time.

The stock signal placement in the rear is high which can be covered slightly with a rear duffell is why I want aux signals down by the license plate.
  13. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 2020 have a different seal on the rear shock.. It might be the reason for the delay sending the new design.. Whixh was produced for the 2020s first. The good news is that If that is the case it shouldn't fail again
  14. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:
    Th
    Thanks for the reply!
  15. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:

This is what I am using right now, these guys have a lot of different options but this one is inexpensive, bright and simple to install...

https://www.customdynamics.com/brake-strobe-led-light-bar?cat=
  16. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I chose it after seeing it. A bike with it passed me and the flicker drew my attention. It wasn't noticeable when looking directly at it, but very much draws your attention when in your peripheral vision. Kind of like detecting movment.
    Beeners likes this.
  17. MadMike83

MadMike83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9/2020.... ktcf0.jpg
  18. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:
  19. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:
    No-Fret likes this.