KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard to argue with their final outcome based on the criteria used.
  2. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dumbest review ever.

KTM gets 1st or 2nd in every Catagory but get 3rd overall, beaten by the 700 that got 3rd twice and 1st once (value).

There is no rationality.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    My take away is that the 790 is a balls out racier ride that wants desperately to be throttled hard, and pounded equally hard out of the box. It's not a princess, and not a comfy, refined slab-mo-bile.

I got precisely what I ordered. The most spirited, awesome fucking ride I've owned to date.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buddy got some fun footage of the ride this weekend... 1 minute and 30 seconds of the Mojave Trail...

Vectored2adv, voyer, blackSP and 18 others like this.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Can you also re-post this over in the cam/video thread? Looks awesome so far :)

*delete* I see now you mention it's only 90 seconds. :photog
    DRglidarn likes this.
  6. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New 790 S. Just picked up a new bike having traded my DL 650 for it.

I owned the Strom for 10 years and covered very little mileage on it (I have a number of other bikes in different places) but I really liked the Strom. I was wondering whether I'd regret the change however after 2 days riding I really like the KTM. I thought I would miss the range of the standard 22ltr Strom, 250 miles all the time for about 18ltrs, circa 14 miles per ltr. I filled the 790, holds 20ltrs apparently, and rode it at a steady pace with some heavy traffic and at 8500' altitude and also open road between 60 and 80 mph. I had set the display to provide the consumption in miles/ltr as it's what I've become used to. Initially the fuel gauge was slow to react, the shop told me it most likely would be and they were right. The fuel consumption slowly stabilised from an initial 5.5m/ltr and climbed to 18m/ltr. I thought it had to be wrong however I covered 265 miles and still had over 1/4 tank left. That implies a possible 350 miles range with similar riding.

The altitude helps a bit with fuel as the power is down however I was amazed. What fuel consumption are you guys getting. I fully expected to have to come up with additional fuel however maybe not and if so it'll be around 6 to 8ltrs.

Next will be the mods but that's another story, I have 30 changes I want to make.

So far after a rough first 5 miles it's very impressive. I've mainy had 1200 bikes apart from the DL 650 but this seems to be everything I need.
    tonyubsdell and CalamariKid like this.
  7. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone changed the exhaust and removed the CAT. I would like to remove the cat and have a lower level straight through 2.5" stainless tube "silencer" with a silencer baffle inserted. The reason is to allow me to mount luggage either side using the same cases and add an aux fuel tank, either a small tank each side or just one side depending on space. I'll be looking at circa 8ltrs total additional volume.

thanks in advance.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting about the same millage as you report. My 650GS could get a little over 250. I get that regularly on the 790. Over 300 isn't uncommon for me, just depends on how I ride. On the interstate at 85 it drops to the low 50s.
    daveburton likes this.
  9. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    I've just come back this morning from my dealer in the UK who's measured the front disc/rotor runout and says they will both be replaced under warranty (3000 miles on clock), plus the TFT screen which is fogging up.
    fiascoj, DRglidarn and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I would like to see also the censored part of the footage :nod

Nice to see bikes ridden like no tomorrow - I suppose you don't need to worry too much about oncoming trafic there?
    DRglidarn, TrailTrauma and Nowwhat like this.
  11. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, that’s interesting. Might have a longer conversation with my dealer about it.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO which is best depends on what a rider wants out of an Adventure bike. Pretty much everyone agrees the 790 is the undisputed most badass of them all. I like it! :)

But does that also make it the bast adventure bike? Depends on what the buyer is looking for. The 3 grand difference and less complex subsystems on the T700 make a pretty compelling argument for a buyer who wants to challenge themselves from a terrain standpoint but not necessarily from a tough terrain and speed standpoint. It's one glaring flaw for someone who wants to set off on a long trip through remote territory is lack of range (IMHO) and as I recall they did fail to mention that which was an oversight. In fact it's limited range was a turn off for me. Sure - I can add a tank, carry fuel bottles etc but I really prefer the manufacturer to get the basics right to begin with and make the bike suitable for purpose. As a long range remote area explorer the T7 falls short as delivered.

The Elephant in the room is how the Honda faired in the test, Ouch...
    ChrisB Kiwi, ibgary and 1coolbanana like this.
  13. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This may be a thread to ask this in....
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/790-adventure-decat-tune-results.1415175/unread
  14. ncj01

Oddometer:
    I don't dispute the value of the T700.

The video had 3 qualifications with scores on each test:
    1. street/road performance (KTM got 2nd, T7 got 3rd)
    2. Offroad (KTM got 1st, T7 got 2nd)
    3. Value (ktm got 2nd, T7 got 1st)

Then they gave KTM 3rd overall and T7 1st.

That doesn't line up - they didn't adhere to thier own test criteria in the overall ranking.
    nhbubba and ibgary like this.
  15. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    My impressions after the first 3 days / 572 miles... I didn't write this for 790 experts, some of this stuff is redundant with thread content. FWIW, my bike's manufacturing date was 11/19.

The good stuff:

The engine is wonderful. Plenty of power, smooth. There’s something about it, words like seductive and intoxicating come to mind. It’s mediocre and a bit fidgety below 3500 RPM, but after that it’s fantastic. I’m finicky about vibes, they’ve done a good job keeping things smooth where you spend most of your time. After a full day there’s no tingling. :-)

The transmission shifts great. The quickshifter is excellent, best I’ve owned. Way better than the GSA, which isn’t saying much, and better than my favorite to date, the 1290R. I’m using the clutch to start/stop in first, and that’s it. The quickshifter came enabled on my bike. There’s a quickshifter option, but evidently it only adds the ability to turn it off. It’s a cable clutch, and while it’s a bit harder pull than the 1090 or the GSA, I didn’t think about it.

The engine and transmission combine to make riding this bike in the twisties a heck of a lot of fun, it was pleasantly surprising. The overall pavement experience was far better than I expected. The 790R is fast, engaging, and wants to run. That combined with good airflow put me unexpectedly well above the speed limit on several occasions. I’m going to have to be careful.

Suspension wise I’m happy with it. I’m 300ish, so that means I’m way out of the intended target range. Sometimes that makes bikes really uncomfortable, the 790R deals with it very well. I’ve got everything set for ‘max payload.’

Overall ergonomically I’m really happy. I'm 6'4, 33in inseam. The bike fits me well, and I was surprised after two back to back 250 mi days that nothing was bugging me. I read a lot of complaints about the stock windshield buffeting but it works well for me. Lots of air, but it’s pretty clean. I still have the rubbers in the pegs, I’ll likely pull those out. Bars are just a bit low, I’ll see how they are without the peg rubbers and may add ½” or so of rise.

I spent most of my time so far in street or off-road mode, switching back and forth on the fly is intuitive, and I like the fueling off idle that off-road mode brings, well, when off-road. I still need to try rally mode. Traction control in street / off-road works very smoothly, it was never abrupt. The dash and it’s operation felt right at home, I had a 1290R.

The 790R feels like it’s ½ the size of the 1090R. On mostly easy gravel stuff it was very planted and predictable, reminded me of the 701. I suspect weight, lower COG, and narrower tires all contributed.

I filled the bike 3 times, I’m getting 49MPG US computing it at the pump, the bike indicates about 2-3MPG optimistically. That puts my observed range at about 260 miles. I was doing my typical riding, lots of twisties, some gravel, foothills, and some straight boring 65ish stuff.

Stuff that’s not great:

The brakes are just ok on pavement. Feel front / rear is fine, stopping power on the front seems to be lacking to me.

The tail light is a) small, and b) not very bright.

The bike rides dirtier than anything I’ve ever owned. Given where I live, I’m going to need to at least do something to stop the dirt getting all over my back and the back of my helmet.

The fuel level only covers the bottom half of the tank, intentionally. That’s fine, but when it gets to the last gallon or so it reads pretty sporadically. It’s more distracting than helpful.

The dash is fogging a bit in two corners. So far it clears up when it dries out / warms up. This is widely reported, I’ll likely wait a while before seeking a remedy.

Stuff I’ve done so far:

I use the bicycle mount for the Garmin InReach mini on all my bikes, it just zip ties on to the bars. I put it in the center, but will be moving it somewhere else because there it interferes with the gas cap just enough to make it annoying.

I added a heated gear lead connected directly to the battery.

My bars were at 0, I rolled them forward about 10 degrees at about 320 miles. Ergonomically that worked well, but it put the mirrors forward enough to mess with the airflow. I’m leaving the bars as is, the mirrors will get replaced.

Early on I missed a couple of upshifts using the quickshifter. I dropped the lever a little bit and that solved the problem.

Stuff to do:

GPS Mount - I’m likely going with the Vanasche mount, but the new Motopumps mount is interesting.

Skid Plate - I’m likely going to get the Black Dog, but for my riding stock would likely be fine. If I don’t get a plate, I will definitely pick up a crap flap.

Seat - The stock seat works pretty well. I think I’ll pick up the tall OEM version just because I’ve got the legs for it.

Tail Light - I’ll add something to help with visibility.

Mirrors - something that folds.
  16. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    It does line up. They gave those rankings based on scores being given to each bike in each category. The bike with the lowest combined score (GS) at the end of the test won. Numbers add up based on the way they decided to run the test and how they evaluated the bikes. Personally, I think that some of their reasoning was flawed but, that's IMO.
  17. ncj01

Oddometer:
    No
  18. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only good thing about a dusty day is we can see traffic coming hahaha
    ramirin likes this.
  19. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Why do you care? You can make your own review where ktm has the best windshield and therefore wins.
    1coolbanana and comradecasey like this.
  20. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Well, your eloquent rebuttal has me convinced! Burn the witch! :jack
    CalamariKid and 1coolbanana like this.