KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had problem for one reason with the bmw winning and it is 538 lbs you cant do an offroad section review and not talk about picking up the bike
    (honda as well). And yes not as comfy as the gs but i covered 400 mile days with the 790 and to be honest (i did a spoiler to the windshield ) was much better then my vstrom
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    100% :thumb
    T7 range was the killer for me and no cruise control for my bad arm.
    Agree with the rest too.
    Tim Cullis likes this.
  3. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just remember that reviews are just opinions by one or a few,I wouldn't purchase a bike just on reviews.I was 100% convinced I was buying a GS 1200 after selling my 800 GS but my mind quickly change after a test ride no matter what all the reviews said no way was I purchasing that particular bike.
  4. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    They did follow the published methodology. When they added up the points, KTM had more than Yamaha, so Yamaha beats KTM.

But that assumes 2 key (and likely very controversial) things;
    1) The categories were equally important
    2) The point "values" were consistent for each category (i.e. 10 possible demerits for each category). Based on the scores the video revealed for each category, that was clearly not the case.

I know what matters to me, so I don't feel that their comparison weighted the categories to reflect my view. Likewise I am not going to sell my bike and run out to get the T7 when it gets here.

My question to them in the comments, (which they haven't answered yet) is did they leave the throttle response in Rally mode the whole time? If so, I think we have all agreed that its way too twitchy unless you are a "pro-mode" rider, and it makes the bike very hard to manage in the technical, as well as in casual road cruising. If that was true, I suggested that the KTM might not have "demanded" so much constant attention and aggressive riding when throttel was set to offroad mode. My guess is that the scores would have been quite different if that was the case.
    Pbro63 and ChrisB Kiwi like this.
  5. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the high front guard with an 1X90 low guard and raiser.
    Helps greatly with getting covered in crap and for my riding the low is a better fit.
  6. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. Agree. Add an S Screen and Cruise Control to the 790R and they may have boosted the on-road points for the 790. And... You can dispute the value of the T700 if you live in Canada.

KTM790R MSRP Price in Canada = $14,699 CDN
    Yamaha T700 MSRP Price in Canada = $12,399 CDN

The KTM 790 Adventure R is only $2300 more in Canada. Without even mentioning, bigger fuel tank, the advanced ABS, the sophisticated traction control including "Rally Mode" and way more power, try to convince me that The 790R EXPLOR suspension alone is not worth the extra $2300.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=5374&group=MC&catId=94
    https://www.ktm.com/ca-en/travel/790-adventure-r/
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_120.jpg
    Screenshot_119.jpg
  8. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by the Raiser?
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    @gsuks
    A few bits of stainless to raise the guard an extra 20mm just for a little extra clearance
    I made my own but this is the TT kit that I copied

[​IMG]
    hubilado likes this.
  10. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    mag reviews are only worth what the reviewers prejudices are. sport bike riders dislike tourers and tourers don't like dirt. at 72 and having read them since they invented the rags I find you need to read it three times on three different days to really figure out what they are saying. most have paper guts thanks to the advertising bucks.
  11. geezyrider

geezyrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m on my second set of rotors and need a third set as the second set are now warped as well. Dealer says KTM
    working on a fix.
    scfrank and ibgary like this.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    What’s the fix, a 4th set of brake discs?
    ibgary likes this.
  13. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Looked fun as hell, nice engine sound at one of them!
    Nowwhat likes this.
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's why I'm not replacing mine with the KTMs. Waiting for another option or a KTM recall to fix it right. Dealer offered me new rotors at cost. Why should I pay for a manufacturer defect?
    alongat likes this.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Very nice of them to offer that but I agree with you - quality issue? Defect? Poor spec? Why should that be your financial problem especially if the same thing will happen again...?
    ibgary likes this.
  16. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The whole rotor / brake pulse deal is a bit baffling. I have the front brake pulse yet could not detect either rotor as warped on the bike. I took both rotors off the wheel and put them together and no where around the entire circumference could a measurable warp/gap be detected. I then ran a flat file lightly across all the surfaces in order to detect any obvious flaws. Then did a heavy pass on all surfaces with scotchbrite disc. Afterwards the pulse was gone for a time but feels like its coming back. I'm still not convinced the issue isn't the pads leaving deposits on the Galfer rotors versus the rotors being warped.
  17. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know its a different KTM
    but on 1290saS my "warped" disc problem was solved by using SBS sintered brake pads, they kept the discs much cleaner.

me and a few other 1290saS guys used these pads to great satisfaction.
    windblown101 likes this.
  18. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    past experience points to pad build up.
  19. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    I had very faint pulsing from day one and thought it would go away. I thought it might be the floating calipers not floating. It just got worse so I bit the bullet and rode to the dealer in sub zero temperatures. Dealer said rotors were warped and has ordered a set under warranty. Funny thing is the brake pulsing is nowhere near so bad after the visit, so I don't know what they've done.
  20. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

Do the rotors need to be cleaned before install?

Best source?