KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I think mine are a bit warped. I can only feel it when I'm close to a complete stop. Did yours start that way and get worse?
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll jump in here. Mine did. I'm noticing it now on hard braking also. About to take it in for 9K miles service. I'll see what dealer will do.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you measure thickness?
  4. geezyrider

geezyrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It got worse over time. Finally becomes dangerous when trying to finesse a stop at slow speeds.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't but I can.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be a slight thickness deviation as opposed to warpage.
    tshansen likes this.
  7. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it might be pad build up on the rotors. I could see it and cleaning made it go away for a short time. I tried cleaning the bobbins and that also gave temporary relief. At the 9k service I asked the dealer to check it. They told me both rotors were warped. They submitted a warranty claim. When they told me KTM considered it a wear item and thus was not covered under warranty. In my opinion this is not an occasional or isolated problem, but a manufacturer/quality control problem that needs a recall. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If there are enough complaints filed they will have KTM to issue a recall. We should not have to pay for a manufacturer defect.
    fiascoj likes this.
  8. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine started around the 800 mile mark. It seems to get a little better, then worse, then better... so I have no idea what it is, but my closest dealer is an hour away, so I’m not ready yet to take it there for just that.
  9. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    With floating rotors, the bobbins can get dirty and stuck and I have had good results by using this method , or even a drill motor to spin and free up the bobbin.

Maybe your disk rotor is just warped so this won't help that , however , it may help reduce the pulse feel when braking ... good luck :thumb

10. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/world-of-bmw/off-road-skills.html
  11. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    I posted in comments section...
    Great review and I wouldn't challenge your findings except... if I was looking for the world's best landscape artist, comparing Turner (marvellous paintings but mega money) with my six year old grandson's efforts (childish but free) I wouldn't be taking cost into account. Best is best, money doesn't come into it. The review is really 'Best value adventure bike'. Nevertheless I really enjoyed the review, some great photography!
  12. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Tim Cullis I totally agree, but I was hoping the ktm would come last...why? let everyone buy the Yam then roost the life out of them whilst passing on a tight corner then riding off into the distance and leave them wondering "wtf!!" :)

As they say if you know, you know!! (or was it just me that said that) anyway.....you get my point :)
    ibgary, kubcat and a.c.e. like this.
  13. Tim Cullis

Tim Cullis Partially heighted

Oddometer:
    @nibby The other issue is nomenclature. For some people—especially KTM 'ready to race' fans—the Adventure moniker seems to mean enduro riding without luggage whilst pulling huge wheelies (I guess Llel's team had a backup vehicle carrying their luggage).

For me 'Adventure' is mixed asphalt/dirt with luggage, riding fairly carefully as I'm solo in remote areas and thousands of km from home. Only on rest days am I riding without luggage.
  14. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/posts/37072878/

https://advrider.com/f/posts/37099821/

just looked SBS also do a set for the 790

https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/706hs

Screenshot_20200123-104611_Chrome.jpg

can't remember if I did clean the discs first or not

but if you do either with bike wash or brake cleaner
    make sure you give them a really good rinse afterwards with water

other wise the brake cleaner does more worse than good
    and it feels like your brake are actually worse
    scfrank likes this.
  15. hcd

hcd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of galfer wave rotors to put on this weekend, I ordered them from Rottweiler and they are supposed to fit. I had that pulse from the beginning, it was slight at first, but after 2000 miles the bike is simply dangerous, I 've been riding over 50 years and I look like I've never ridden before trying to stop at a red light. I really wonder if something else is going on here though, not everyone is having this problem, and geezyrider needing a third set of rotors.
    Tim Cullis likes this.
  16. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would try different pads first,
    if the pads don't help and it is really the discs you can always keep the extra pads as spares.

with my previous 1290saS
    I changed the oem pads for the sbs pads about 6 weeks after purchasing the bike at about 8000km
    the discs were starting to pulse

after fitting the sbs pads the pulsing was over
  17. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That makes since, I will need new pads sooner or later.

Let us know how the new rotors from Rot turn out. If it gets worse I'll order a set. Just hoping it doesn't get worse down on the Yucatan.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    About that review; to be honest I think T7 is the 'best value' for money.

But in the end it's all up to one's personal values.

I would buy T7 if it was a car. My car doesn't need to have character or hi-tech as long as it moves me from place to another and doesn't cost a fortune.

But bikes are my passion - something in my mind day and night. The reason to work long days and stay (somewhat) fit to be able to ride hard and hopefully many years to come. And I like (most of) new technology. That's why I have TPI, Freeride Electric and 790.
    For me T7 would stay in garage as it's just too standard and boring to ride or work with.
  19. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agreed. What Yamaha was able to deliver at that price point is impressive. Heck, now you can get it for 2-4K less than a 2020 V-Strom that’s going the other way (more technical and no longer the best value in an ADV bike).

For me, however, the 790 is still the best value of a technologically modern ADV, for riders that lean towards the dirt side of the spectrum.

The ADV bikes we now have to choose from to match individual rider goals is pretty great.
    ramirin and ibgary like this.
  20. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    This is a good perspective. I bought my 790 to be very dirt focussed without giving up on the ability to ride long distances or giving up technology. That is how I define "adventure" riding but that's not true for everyone. :-)
    ibgary and Rudderfeet like this.