1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My concern with the wet performance didn't involved suspension, it was on highway with no bumps, road in good condition.
    I did trash the S model in twisty mountain roads with no major complaints for the suspension.
    ibgary likes this.
  2. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    you asked me to elaborate on the suspension,
    which I did

of course you don't have to agree with me.

but if I was choosing an (all) road tyre
    for the 790
    the avons wouldn't be on top of my list
  3. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry I didn't want to be mean or anything, just talk about this issue and know if anyone else has the same feeling. :)
  4. Big Brown

Big Brown I enjoy a good time, I just haven't found her yet.

Oddometer:
    for $14k+ the difference between the S and R in pricing it's just silly imo to not get the R, unless you flat out don't plan on bringing the thing offroad much. i think its some where between a $500-1000 mark up that clearly makes up for it with the improvements to supsension and Rally mode alone, and I know thats not all.
  5. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    99.8% of my riding is on pavement. That 0.2% is mainly forest service dirt roads. The standard model made sense for me. Yeah, I paid for rally mode just because. I do like the extra year of warranty compared to the R model. That may give KTM time enough to make an instrument panel that doesn't fog up.
  6. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Except that for many people, it's not an $800 difference. Since most everyone wants the R, there are dealers heavily discounting the S, but charging full MSRP plus delivery charges for the R. It can easily end up being a $2300 difference. The dealers don't get to say to KTM, send me 15 R models and 2 S models. If they are taking 15 R models, they may be forced to take 6 S models. Would I have bought an R at an $800 difference, probably, although what I really want is the S, and I would have been willing to pay more for an upgraded suspension. The huge price difference easily swayed me toward getting the S. For me, this is my road bike. I have two other even more capable off-road bikes.
    No-Fret likes this.
  7. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    I hear you brother. I have a 16 Honda DCT. I have a 19 KTM 790. Love them both and got the 790 for me to ride and my son to come with me on the Honda. but to tell you the truth I will switch off off as we go along because I pay for both. If you can keep both for a while and see what you think.
    After that, needless to say, I want one! Since I'm trying to downsize my fleet these days, I'm looking to trade the Twin and my '18 SV650. The initial offer from the salesman was, to be honest, borderline insulting. We're pretty far apart. He's going to "see what he can do" and get back to me this week. I'm not holding my breath there. So the hunt begins. There are a few 790Rs within an hour or two of me. Time to look for a deal.[/QUOTE]
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    This.

I wonder why KTM even made the S model.

If I'm a rider that isn't riding any dirt or off-road, I wouldn't even look at the 790 Adventure S. There are many other, better-equipped bikes available. And while I don't mean to be flippant to other riders that bought the S, I do read a lot about seat height. Those two together would have me looking at a proper street bike with 17" wheels. Hell, my Multistrada - dripping in carbon fiber and special paint - is remarkably well equipped for dirt road travel.
    Big Brown likes this.
  9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM made it so people like me could buy it. Seat height had nothing to do with it; I'm 6' with a 32 1/2" inseam. FWIW I liked the standard model better than any of the other "better-equipped bikes". If the R was the only 790 available I'd probably have kept my DR650 or my GS.
  10. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I wonder why KTM built more S's than R's. The number of R's vs S's should have been 5 R's to every S. It seems to me that it is the other way around.

I agree with BobcatSig. Do you see dirt bikes being made for shorter riders? No. If you are short you find yourself loving the 2t bikes shorter stand over height and lighter east dab ability due to the lower CG. TRY THIS - Just go into a KTM dealership and lift the rear wheel of the 300xc-w and then wander over to the 350exc-f and try to lift the rear wheel. My puny 5'9.5" body isn't tall enough to lift it. My arm's geometry is topped out just removing the sag out of the rear shock on the EXC-F. The 2t feel like it is 1/2 the weight of the 4t.

I bring this up because with ADV bikes, this 790 ADV R reminds me of riding a 2t over the 1090's 4t like higher cg (and power delivery). The 1090 on up bikes are seriously intimidating. Where as the 790R is workable. Like a 300XC-W. It is tall yes but even I can save it with my stubby 30" inseam legs due to it's lower cg. So why S? Why not do what BMW does. Make a 790R-Short. I don't get the 790S. But I'm really happy with the R. I've been waiting a long time for a real dirt worthy, highway capable ADV bike. If anything, I want more dirt worthiness from these bikes. Otherwise I'll ride dirt roads on my Road Glide, which I have done with peeps on their GS's. Might as well make it a little exciting.
    Big Brown and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    790 Duke
    Ride your own ride.
    hgwilliam and marchyman like this.
  12. Hornblower

Hornblower Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those of us with shorter inseams, the S can still be a very fine choice. I'm making that statement in consideration of the aftermarket suspension choices that have finally been made available. So, if you're one of those that needed the lower seat height of the S and have enough riding experience to notice the shortcomings of the stock suspension, there are solutions. Of course, you may wind up spending just as much as those buying the R model but you can have R suspension performance with the lower seat height of the S. Like someone else mentioned, I do wish KTM had offered a low suspension R model because I would have definitely gone with that. I've done that previously with Beemer's and it worked out great.
    Nelso likes this.
  13. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Yup, another great option.
    dano619 likes this.
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I think Ktm made brilliant strategy with 790 S and R - here we are comparing which is better and we only talk about the bikes that are 90% the same. If they only had R the conversation would be 790 R and other brand.

People need options to make decisions. And they made it even harder to resist as you can mix the two with seats and windshields. Almost like having a full range of bikes and they still only need to desing and produce one .. well 1,1 maybe.

Pierer group has very nice concept going on with duke, adv, norden and gasgas (or whatever they will call it). Think about the 2021 adventure bike of the year shootout: Ktm 890 adv, Husky Norden 901, Gasgas adv 888 and Yamaha T7 Rally.
    ibgary and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Present metrics have the T7 out front by a sizeable margin :imaposer
    ramirin likes this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Many of you also have the repair manual as a .pdf. Do you know why I can't seem to do a search on mine? I try and it says it searched the document and found nothing. Is there a setting in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC which needs changing. Drives me nuts to keep having to scroll all over. :baldy
  17. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only version of the repair manual I could find consists of scanned images of each page, not text. Therefore you cannot search for words. The only searching I can do is the old fashioned kind - use the TOC and scroll to the correct page. Some of the Adobe products have a OCR scan tool that will "read" the images and output corresponding text, but it is highly error prone and would require a post-process edit that would take days.

I just checked recently and the DVD repair manual in english (3206373en) is still unavailable. Even when it becomes available, if my 2014 350 EXC-F manual on DVD is any indication, it won't be a shareable pdf. If anyone is aware of an original PDF file (rather than a collection of scanned images), that file should be searchable and I would love to get a copy and post it on 790Adventure.net.
  18. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I already have a shitty resolution pdf file. Its the same one that is on 790Adventure.net, and I'm gonna bet this is a copy of that same file. If someone wants to d/l it and check, go to the wiring diagrams at the end to see if the lettering stays fuzzy or gets sharper as you zoom in.
  19. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you find a better version, send me a link, I'll update the FAQ.
    ibgary likes this.
  20. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You don’t understand why they made the S, that’s fine. Don’t buy one then.

I am tired of reading posts that make it sound like it was a mistake to buy an S model, just because you like your R better doesn’t mean that’s the only correct answer......
    grace, Nelso, ibgary and 5 others like this.