KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a firm believer of make sure to let people know when they do a good job, and when they do a poor job. This is not good enough, and you should tell them what you feel and think about this. You never know, you may get surprised. But there is different ways to tell them what you think about last service.
  2. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    been running anti gravity batteries on two bikes for more than two years. completely uneventful. starts every time.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was kidding. Dr. Emmett Brown - back to the future - Anti gravity.

I know, obtuse.
  4. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I got it!
  5. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    been lurking around, for a few months, reading and learning, while waiting for the 790 to show up, it finally arrived and i collected her yesterday. she exceeds my expectations. though i've ridden friends' 790 adv r and adv s -only on dirt, this bike exceeded what i remembered from riding those bikes. the street performance of the 790 far exceeded my expectations. this girl rips the canyons and she's fast -like 0-120 mph in a hurry. i don't really do the break-in period thing. i can't wait to get on the dirt this weekend. yippee. before this version, i had no intention of purchasing a 790. they just didn't appeal to me. the rally looks so much better -to me anyway- and i love the idea of the suspension.

first mod, before leaving the dealership and before the exhaust heats up, peel off akrapovic sticker on the exhaust, only to discover that akrapovic is laser printed on the exhaust. darn it. i prefer laser logo to sticker -more inconspicuous. surprised that more people don't show the laser printed logo vs the sticker. interestingly the stickers normally on the suspension were in the lovely neoprene owner's bag. gonna get that sticker off the swing arm. she looks better in person. almost everywhere i stopped and even at traffic lights, people have commented with "nice bike" or gestured thumbs up. that'll change once gets muddied, dropped, scratched and dropped. this is as pretty as she'll ever look.

i already ordered loads of farkles. loads. new wheels, tires, skid plate, brake/clutch levers, decat, seat, mirrors, pegs, aux lights, scotts damper, rekluse clutch, luggage/tail racks, heated grips, etc, etc, etc... like 40+ items. doing my part to counter the adverse impact to the economy from the current madness. :-D

i think i got the only one in colorado and probably one of the few in the US so far. to get one, apparently dealers had to place sizable orders for other ktm bikes with ktm and many aren't capitalized enough to do that.

she's pretty good looking.

20200401_175241.jpg
    20200401_175219.jpg
    gbx2001, ibgary, ChrisB Kiwi and 10 others like this.
  6. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    duh! i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
  7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's an under-statement! :) The white plastics and blue tank really set off the bike well!
    Are the new wheels for road (motard) use?..
    Cheers!
  8. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    new wheels for dirty abuse. woody's wheel works building narrower tubeless wheels. not a fan of tubed wheel. i get a lot of pinch flats with tubes, forcing me to rider slower and more careful than i prefer. with narrower rear rim, i'm gonna run a 140 rear tire instead of the oem 150. rims will be 1.85 front and 2.5 rear -i think.
    SoilSampleDave and braaap! like this.
  9. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! I'm still waiting on the call from my Dealer (motorcycle)... Sayin' 'your Rally is here!'
    F1.85 and R2.5 is what I have on the 950 :) But tubed, I'm old skool and creak.

Enjoy the Rally! Post lots of picks to make us waiting, green with envy :)
    grace likes this.
  10. jm65

jm65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello guys
    How are you , its ok for all ?
    A little question , who's open or modified the OEM mufflers ?
    Thanks
  11. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:

Just what the world needs, more pollutants :confused. .
  12. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! The Rally’s are starting to drop like flies here in the States. Picked mine up this week as well. Must have been a big shipment of them as lots of folks got invoiced this past week. Enjoy!
    grace, BHoward and SoilSampleDave like this.
  13. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, oldfuddy! Care to share the out the door number on the rally?
  14. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to hide on these bikes, they are stupid priced. OTD $23,300. Included 6-year nose to tail coverage service contract with $0 deductible. Cost $3k more OTD than my 1290GT
  15. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who offers the extended warranty? How much did that add to the price? I'd like to buy something like that before my factory warranty expires.
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    If KTM hunts for ways to exclude warranty claims as hard on the extended warranty as the standard warranty, I’m not sure I’d pop for it.
    ibgary and comradecasey like this.
  17. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    $1,200 USD for 5 years is the recommended cost for this bike through RPM-1. I got a much better price as this is my 8th new KTM from the same dealer but I can’t post that price. As you know, all extended warranties and service contracts are negotiable and the best time to do it is when you buy the bike. It’s not an extended warranty though, it’s a “service contract”. That said, it covers all non wearable items for the duration of the contract. You can get 1-5 yrs coverage added to the 1-yr warranty on the bike (costs from a couple hundred bucks up to $1,200 for the whole enchilada). I even have the same full contract on a 350XCF that the dealer knows I only use to race. Here’s the deal, you need to have a dealer that will fight for you. If your dealer is weak and won’t fight the good fight, I don’t recommend it. If you have a dealer like I do, one that will spend his own silver bullets to make it right, it’s well worth it IMO. I’ve never seen a claim from full rebuilds to major components replaced with this contract not honored as long as the owner allows the dealer to properly document and diagnose the issue from the very beginning. As an aside, if someone is a dick and thinks they know everything and they tell their dealer and mechanic so, service contracts aren’t for them because the dealer isn’t gonna fight for jerks. I have a rapport with everyone that works at my dealer. We are all on first name basis. I know all their names and they all know mine and it’s not a fake relationship and I don’t talk shit about them if they make a mistake or something is out of their control. They are human too.
    grace and Pete S like this.
  18. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    My standard rule of thumb is if I feel I need to buy the extended warranty then I am probably looking at the wrong product.
    Alpha 1, ibgary and SoilSampleDave like this.
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Agreed: dealer makes all the difference.
    rsteiger likes this.
  20. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    To each his own for sure. But, every product has a few bad apples. I ensure that if that happens to be mine, I have no worries. For 6 years of worry free riding it’s cheap insurance imo. completely respect your rule of thumb, but there’s not one bike manufacture that doesn’t have issues pop up and if you ride KTMs you are well aware of these issues since the LC8 first hit the scene.
    rsteiger and TrailTrauma like this.