KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    like tuning a 36 string guitar all to the same note.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  2. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Manual on everything is early to protect the manufacture. If you follow the manual intervals you really can’t go wrong. They would not stretch out intervals as there’s no money in it and it increases their liability and risk. The dealer is looking for service. It’s where they make their money in the tail end after the sale. It a business
    Venturer, No-Fret and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    No more than a quarter turn at a time as you go around the rim, tightening every third spoke (or is it fourth?); google it to be sure. Never just tighten one up that seems loose; 1/4 turn and move around.
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That could be true. The other possibility is marketing may play a role as well and from a marketing point of view claiming longer service intervals is a plus. Or it could simply be the intervals are based on optimal use conditions. I dont recall what language is in the owners manual on the 790 but many manuals couch the service intervals with a mention that if the machine is used in harsh enviroments the stated service intervals should be shortened. As far as protecting the manufacturer, the KTM warranty is not terribly long, 24k miles or two years is max and half that for R models in the USA. Cumulative damage to the motor from extended oil change intervals is unlikely to cause a breakdown within the warranty period and most units sold will drop out of warranty based on time long before the milage limit is reached.

I've noticed most folks that run very high miles between oil changes are typically LD riders riding at speed and with very little clutch use per mile ridden, absolutely prime conditions for oil to last a very long time.
    No-Fret likes this.
  5. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I confirm. I’m a LD rider and after eleven bikes, about 1 Million kilometres, 4 brands, Kawasaki Honda BMW and Ktm, I’ve never had a clutch, gearbox, or motor issue, for sure , following the regular service intervals.
    No-Fret, Big Brown and ibgary like this.
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very happy to date with the exception of the front brake rotors warping. Had them replaced at around 9,000 miles under warranty. Now at about 16,000 miles and they feel warped again.
    Other than that I love the bike as evidenced by 16,000 miles in 11 months. 539197802.jpg
    CaseyB, Velociraptor and Snowq like this.
  7. Matrace

Matrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it’s the best way, my Ktm dealer in Marseille, gave me the same advice, crash bars are useless , Ktm managed this tank to be on an exposed part and made it for tough use, First as they won’t have had the securities agreement, second: polymer are flexible relatively anyway, so a Kevlar slider can be a good add on and won’t change the concept.
    Venturer likes this.
  8. geezyrider

geezyrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m on my third set of rotors. On the last set they replaced the front wheel hub and spokes. Seems some hubs are
    were not machined square leading to warped rotors.
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly :thumb
  10. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I may well be :dhorse, but I just watched Bret Tkacs vid on adjusting the chain, so I headed to the garage to check mine. Bret didn't follow the directions on the swingarm and in the owners manual. He said he looks for 25 mm of travel from slack to tense in the chain at the slackest point (about the same spot 2.5 cm behind the chain slider as KTM says to measure). His chain looks to be noticeably tighter than mine.

Anyway in this pic, assuming the red line I drew is 2.5 cm behind the chain slider, that distance should be 2-5mm, correct? So if I am measuring correctly, its adjusted to about 5mm - as tight as you would want it, and its very slack, as it always has been.

Now, for guys with the AXP plate, look at the second photo. The chain is very close to the aluminum plate. When you spin the chain backwards it actually drags across it. Should I have any concerns?

20200625_192828[1].jpg

20200625_192851[1].jpg
    No-Fret and Big Brown like this.
  11. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tight-chain.1419964/page-2
  12. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck damaging the fuel tank. Rotomolded plastic is tough, very tough. I managed to scratch my tank by dropping the bike in a ravine full of rocks last week: The bike fell to the left, bounced on a rock, landed on another and slid to a stop. I haven't tried to see if I can buff it, I'm pretty sure I can.

BTW, I'm running kodama side protections, and those did their job perfectly, but during the fall a rock scratched on top of it, I doubt a crash bar would have avoided it.
    Venturer and BHoward like this.
  13. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Love for motorcycle and remote area

Oddometer:
    Damage upon impact would be what i worry less about, breaking while standing up would probably cause catastrophic injury. I would not buy any footpeg but from a well known manufacturer. It is a very stressed part and you are betting your life on the metal alloy used there
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Precisely my thinking. They looked pretty, and are priced quite low but as stated, a failure while standing could be catastrophic. Some things you just can't afford to cheap out on.
  15. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was about a year ago... Before we had options.
    I installed the r/g pegs
  16. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I just exchange my 2016 Africa Twin for a 790 standard. I will pick it up next Wednesday. I'm a little bit tired of big heavy bikes. I looked around and I can't really find info about Bluetooth on the standard model. Is it an option or it's a standard feature?
  17. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 790 has bluetooth.
    You can go to the KTM website and down load the owner's manual, that will allow you to read all about it.
  18. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did that and it indicated Bluetooth as an option :-(

Bluetooth.JPG
  19. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as I know the bluetooth is standard. It needs to be turned on in the menu.
    For example, they also list TPMS as a option however it is not available.
    If you want the navigation, the app does cost money.
  20. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll check when I'll pickup the bike Wednesday. Thanks!