KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Steve800

Steve800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It had the seat sensor but no Velcro.
  2. KTM fan

KTM fan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got the 790 adventure R. The header seems vulnerable to rock/log impact due to the stock skid plate. I hesitate to call it a skid plate due to how flimsy it is. Anyone have recommendations for a good skid plate. Good success with other brands? The Touratech looks real tough but $500? Is it worth that?
  3. W-Gator

W-Gator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @KTM fan
    There are many good options for after-market skid plates discussed in this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/790-skid-plate-options.1400888/
    Camel-Adv gut guard for me. Good luck with your choice!
    ErGuss likes this.
  4. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Here's a good reference for most things 790Adv: https://790adventure.net/

and more specifically: https://790adventure.net/protections/crash-bars/
  5. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Love for motorcycle and remote area

Oddometer:
    Oh, don't get me started on NYPD. I've never had any trouble but know lots of people who have (take a deep dive into the cesspool that is the "NYC commuters" thread). Though I ride as little as possible in the city. Usually no more than it takes me to get to the nearest bridge or tunnel out of there.
    But yeah, I have a second fan, rebuilt water pump, no radiator guard, heat shield on the tanks and have lifted front wheel to get air out and it still wants to boil over. I rode a 790 demo last year at DirtDaze and loved it. Figure why put more band-aid solutions on the 990 when the 790 "IS" the fix. haha. Save me the headache and stress.[/QUOTE]

Keep the 990 and buy a cheap commuting bike could do the trick, or keep the 990 and buy a nice asphalt bike like bmw S1000XR or Ducati multistrada
  6. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah, get a Royal Enfield instead. When it gets thrashed, you won’t be as pissed....
  7. LikeTheAspirin

LikeTheAspirin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha. I wouldn't commute by bike in NYC even if I had one for that purpose. Nor do I have the money and space to keep more than the 2 bikes I have now. One can dream though.

Don't worry I'm not someone who buys something to keep it show room condition. Just needs to function for what I need it for. Was just curios of others experiences with city riding the 790.
    Just waiting for the BDR 790 give away drawing in 3 hours to see if I actually have to buy one myself. haha.
    Pete S likes this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When Carl Lewis was training for the Olympics...one of his coaches had him watch film of Cheetahs running..

The idea was obvious. Move like a Cheetah... get the speed of one

Never mind the bike.. here is our cheetah

BobcatSig, redneckK20, Joe? and 7 others like this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Dam! Since when is Joey Mac on an ADV bike?
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That video popped up on my google feed. Riders at that level are unworldly. Always leaves me with a sense of awe watching not just the extreme skillset but the willingness to put it all on the line over and over again and make it look like childs play. Whew...
  11. DucSyd

DucSyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video, if I hadn’t seen it I wouldn’t have believed it possible. Awesome.
  12. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    Does the 790, either version, have the high speed weave issues that show up on the 1x90 bikes? My 1090 starts to weave when accelerating hard in the 85-100 range, and I know 1290, both R and S, owners have reported the same. Just wondering if the 790 has any high speed issues. I’m thinking pretty seriously about getting one.
  13. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    With the stock tires on my R (and different tires can make a huge difference) I don't start having any issues until I get north of 110. On a closed course, of course. :thumb
  14. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on what tires I’m running.
  15. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock tires on the S, seem to be very stable at speed, but Shyte on grass....or dirt......or gravel........Or.....:muutt
    Well, lets just say they are a decent road tire.....
  16. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There must be something wrong with both my 790 S and 1190 S as I can't seem to get either above 85 mph. I ether need to them into the shop or get a Testosterone injection as my wrist just won't turn that much! lol
  17. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    It sounds like it probably isn’t the issue that it is with the other bikes. It goes beyond tires on them, but that is a different thread with no 790 content....:D
  18. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not had any issues with that, there's been a couple of times I flogged the throttle to pass and looked down to find myself having gone from 60 to 100mph in the span of a tractor-trailer rig.
  19. Beshar

Beshar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m wondering if anyone knows the torque spec for these screws. Can’t seem to find it.
    Well I think the big one is called swingarm pivot and has 100Nm if I’m correct but what about the two underneath?

Attached Files:

20. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.36.40 PM.png
    The swingarm pivot is 100 Nm.
    Flatroads and Beshar like this.