KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Beshar

Beshar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this from the manual? and I missed it?
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. I did a search on "footrest" and that is from one of the pages of the search results. I didn't even bother seeing what procedure it was part of and wouldn't be surprised if it was for something totally irrelevant to the actual info you wanted.
  3. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking, fasteners of the same size get the same torque.
  4. Beshar

Beshar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I removed the footrest holder to change the chain and sprockets. When you order the original chain it comes as already riveted and chainguide already attached to it.

Attached Files:

ErGuss, kzeb, gsuks and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I know....wrong bike but....just fun stuff

6. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outrageous! Such Skills.....
    Nowwhat likes this.
  7. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just came back from spending my day off wisely and test riding BOTH the KTM 790 S and R models. I love the looks of the R, but the S really hit home! Even at 6'1" I really liked it. If being honest with myself, the "off-roading" I do is gravel FS roads or loose Jeep roads, so after some reviews I think the S will be fine. I loved the way it felt in the curves. Some YouTube videos seem to show the S model is pretty damn capable of my style riding so I think it's the best fit. Think I'd really miss the R? I just don't see myself using it to it's full potential and I really enjoyed the S for now.
    ibgary and kvango like this.
  8. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I think you answered your own question!

Seriously, it comes down to an honest assessment of the type of riding you want to do, and it looks to me like you did a good job of figuring that out.
    ibgary, ErGuss and smalls78 like this.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the S model fits you well I don't see any reason to not get the S and enjoy the money saved. Suspension upgrades can always be done later if desired and buying the "R" doesn't mean you wouldn't want the R suspension upgraded. The S gets a bad rap IMHO. Some find the standards softer suspension has issues, just as the R suspension has issues for some. Both can be tailored to work better for a particular riders wants.

I've got a 34" inseam so the R with a tall seat is just tall enough. The S cramps me up a bunch.
    ibgary likes this.
  10. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to do both test rides this weekend myself but unfortunately it is impossible to find the R in a 200 miles radius from Houston. KTMs are just not very popular down here since there aren't many public Off-roading areas around. I primarily wanted the more resourceful R but may need to settle for the S.
    Would any of the gents here be able to point me to a (single) place I can find an exhaustive list of the mods needed for converting the S to a R so I can estimate the cost and try to bargain with the dealer?
  11. ErGuss

ErGuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't the stores close to you get the R from ktm in the same time and money as it would take you to do the conversion?
  12. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That will be my question to them this Saturday. A couple of the ones I talked to said they don’t know if and when they would get Rs. Sounded like they were more interested is pushing floor inventory and feel customers will end up compromising. There are no official dealers here. Only powersports stores that carry some KTMs in their inventory. Not sure what their deal with the factory is.
    ErGuss likes this.
  13. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cost of converting the S to an R would be a lot higher than just buying the R so if you think you need the R's suspension just buy the R. But I found the S's suspension more than enough for my needs. I bought the 790 mainly as a touring bike that can do the occasional fire road and for that it's great. On a few occasions I have gone down a road that got a lot rougher than I anticipated but in that case I just crawled along really slow and everything was fine. I am 6'3 and never found the bike too small, except on very long rides my legs get cramped, but I'd have that problem on the R too. I might buy lower foot pegs which would solve that problem.
    ErGuss and fbga like this.
  14. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad Munn Racing isn't closer - https://www.shopmunnracing.com good luck, M
  15. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the S model is under evaluated for off road riding. I did many off road riding with mine and I like it much more than my last Africa Twin. Here's a river crossing with the S on the stock Avon Trailrider tire.

ibgary, ErGuss and RiderGary like this.
  16. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike shops don’t like to swap inventory, if they don’t have to. R models are harder to get, and you can’t request more from KTM’s warehouse, because they don’t have one. So to trade a hot bike for a harder sell, just doesn’t make sense. So your dealer may have a problem finding anyone that will give them an R to swap.

To your question about what to make an S=R.....Wind scream(for aesthetics?), Suspension, tires, and Rally pack upgrade. There are suspension options out there that will give you similar if not better performance than a stock R. Some even are finding used R shocks and forks from the guys who are upgrading R suspensions. I was able to get my S model with the Rally pack and cruise control for under MSRP, so that may help with the decision if they can’t get an R, but will deal with the S price. I don’t know how you ride, but you may find that the S suits your needs, and the R suspension, may not be worth the extra money.....

There’s a debate about if it would be cheaper to buy an S and upgrade it to meat the R performance. My opinion, depends on how good of a price you can get an S on. A dealer is not going to give you a deal on an R he has to swap for. But if he’s got no takers on an S that is racking up Floor charges, he may be motivated.
    ErGuss likes this.
  17. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Smashy , @Magile , @stou , @MeVoGTC

My skills and inseam are indeed likely better suited for the S than the R, and there aren’t many off-roading spots around here anyways but I sometimes venture in sandy single tracks with a few logs and exposed roots in the National Forest north of town.
    I admit though that my initial preference for the R is not very rational but rather FOMO on the superpowers of the R suspension...

to @MeVoGTC ‘s point , I was offered a new 2019 “S” at $10,700 out the door. The 2020s “S” have a web price at $12,699 before taxes and fees here in the area.

Since I didn’t identify major differences or fixes between both year models, the 2019 deal seems tempting.

How do these prices compare with what y’all see in your areas?

Cheers
  18. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the canadian prices are something like that:

2020 Rally: $20950
    2020 R: $15650
    2020 S: $14550
    2019 S: $ 13500

I bought a new 2019 S. I hesitate a lot between the R and the S. I do trail riding but I do more road and I really like the height of the S. With the price difference between the R and the 2019 S, I can get Andreani cartrige and have the shock modified to get it full adjustable under $2000. If i would have bought an R, the suspension would probably have been too hard for my 160 lbs and needed to be modified anyway. But for now, I don't see any need to change something on my S suspension. After the break-in period, I found the suspension is now very good for my type of riding.
    ibgary, fbga and RiderGary like this.
  19. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    10,700 OTD is a good deal. I paid 13,900 OTD for my 20 S with CC, Rally, and QS activated back in May.
    fbga likes this.
  20. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, that does sound like a good price, at 10,700 seems like a no brained, pickle that up and build her up to what you need. GIves you about $4000 easy for upgrades on suspension.