KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My coolant leak was from a bad o ring on the cylinder head... You could see it coming out of the weep hole. They're replacing it under warranty.

Just an FYI, and passing along the info.

No visible leak, just evaporates on contact.
    ibgary likes this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sparkplug weephole? @wierpig got a head replaced for that. Cracked head was the diagnosis. If there is an o-ring in the head that could cause a leak in the same spot see if your dealer can point it out on the parts fiche and post up a pic. I can't find it and it would be cool to know where it is.
  3. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks windblown, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

I'm on vacation, and was having trouble hearing him. I was surprised myself.

He did say right under (or near) the spark plug. Will find out, and keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the info.
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. Retumbo7

Retumbo7 Engineer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here run an R80 (or equivalent) with a pillion for overnight/weekend camping trips?

Doesn't need to be Gold Wing comfortable, but my assumption is it'd be better on a 790/890 than on a 690 or T7?

For reference, my GF is 100% fine riding offroad 2-up on my FE250 with a small top bag.
  5. wierpig

wierpig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was repaired under warranty with a new cylinder head.I had a few other issues and lost faith...so Ive signed up for an 890. Not released in the UK yet.
    windblown101 and Dan D. like this.
  6. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha thats great- what model SC seat is that
  7. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes me want to start a YouTube channel on how to pack.
    Pic is ready to go 2 bikes 3 people 1 week on the road camping. 2043609082.jpg
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I had the dreaded Immobilizer failure pop up for the first time ever on a ride yesterday. Started after a short break during a ride with a black screen after turning on the ignition which never happens, then after a couple of cycles with the key the screen came to life and I had the immobilizer failure showing. A couple more ignition cycles and it went away and I was able to start the bike and got home without issue.

First time my bike has done something that actually pissed me off and teeters dangerously close to loosing faith. However I admit I have a distinct dislike for bloody immobilizer circuits on motorcycles in general so my bias against them is strong. Not like there is an easy solution, almost all modern bikes have the damn things these days. I'll dig into it a bit today before heading out for another test ride in the forest, and I'll bring a lighter and marshmellows in case it dies on me in the middle of nowhere.
    TrailTrauma, wierpig and BHoward like this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Bike redeemed itself extremely well today. Ran and handed great. Gave it a good run on some forest roads full of embedded rocks. Nary a hitch or glitch. Maybe it was just giving me a hard time yesterday for not having ridden it in so long.

Anyways, It's back in my good graces or I'm back in it's good graces, not sure which. :)
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

I can't get over how nice your area looks on the back roads. We just had some warmer weather and roads are all mud and stretches of ice. It'll be 2 months before we see roads that look like that.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm a good bit further south in the northern hemisphere than you and our spring thaws are not as severe because we don't have as much frozen water laying around waiting to turn everything to mush and the ground is primarily rocks in the mountains anyway. The bad part is we will be 85-90 degrees with high humidity come summer. Got to get the cool weather riding in while I can!
  12. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the TALL COMFORT one.
    Tall.JPG
    ErGuss likes this.
  13. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Anyone figured out how to get a searchable PDF out of the purchased DVD? I can print to PDF but that does not allow me to search later and my Mac does not have a DVD drive, I need to be in the office, connected to a USB to read the damn thing. There was a guy that posted a step by step on the FB group but I can't find that any more...
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    @tomasv - Its all here and been done before. Here is how I did it... BTW, I keep copies of it on my phone and on my nav tablet, along with the owners manuals for all my bikes. Never without the critical info!

tomasv likes this.
  16. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    thank you - great idea to keep in on the nav tablet. just installed it on the 701, the 790 cradle is next

Attached Files:

ridenm, kubcat and BHoward like this.
  17. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, vinjah's insructions worked for me on a Mac. I haven't used the DVD since. :thumb
  18. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both owner and repair manuals on my tablet
    Funny fact the road book reader on drive mode dashboard 1 & 2 is bascily a pdf reader and I can look at them from that if I want to
    TrailTrauma and flamingm0e like this.
  19. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While everyone buys a new 1290 and 890... I'm over here pimping my ride
    IMG_2492.JPG
    Rudderfeet, No-Fret, SDR82 and 6 others like this.
  20. ERU

ERU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello guys.
    I'm on this topic again for my brothers bike. After a first seson without any problem at the first ride in 2021 he get the imobiliser antena bug and also quickshifer does not work anymore.
    Any thoughts ?

On a positive side the BRP sumount and Scots steering stabiliser From Alon @Tripleclampmoto are working very well.
    Tripleclampmoto likes this.