KTM 790 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 2whlin, Oct 8, 2017.

1. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I bought used 2020 790. It has the cruise control switch on the handle bar, but I don't see it anywhere in the menu (where would it be)? The seller claimed it was installed - any way for a dealer to verify? Quickshift is there and works great!
  2. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the motorcycle come with a owner's manual?
    If not they are very easy to download online from the KTM website.
    The cruise control is not actually in the dash to be able to turn on or off like the quickshifter.
    Yes the dealer can verify if the motorcycle has cruise control.
    It would be also very easy for anybody that has the key to the motorcycle to verify if it has cruise control or not.
    While the motorcycle is running just push the cruise control lever to the left and the cruise control emblem will light up on the display and if you are moving you can press it forward or rear and the amber light will now turn green, this will of course verify whether you have cruise control or not.
    windblown101 and hubilado like this.
  3. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    No manual, will download the online.

I have tried to engage the cruise switches multiple times, nothing happens -> thus thinking there might be some hidden menu. I was told the once that if cruise control was not enabled, they would not have the switch:dunno

Looks like it was not activated
  4. 9.5isCanadian

9.5isCanadian "Missing a few pieces." Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had cruise installed on my 790.
    There is no menu item to interact with the cruise control. Its all in the left hand switch gear.
    If the hardware is there the dealer needs to install the OEM software patch to activate the feature.

9 1/2
    ibgary and BHoward like this.
  5. BHoward

Oddometer:
    Gotcha, that makes sense.
    So if the motor is running and you push the switch over to the left and the CC doesn't light up, no CC.
  6. BHoward

Oddometer:
    Some pics.
    20210325_165333.jpg 20210325_165339.jpg 20210325_165412.jpg 20210325_165416.jpg
    ridenm likes this.
  7. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    For 2019 the CC switch is purchased independently from the unlock code. It is possible that the seller only installed the switch and never bought the software. If the dealer did unlock the software but didn't enable the feature, the bike would perform the same as if it wasn't unlocked. To see if it is unlocked, follow the procedure at the link below. While you are there, familiarize yourself with the other resources on that website. It will be a big help to you.

https://790adventure.net/electrics-electronics/cruise-control/
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the speedo icon turn on, (2nd picture above) when you press the switch to the left?
  9. BHoward

Oddometer:
    Yes, the CC icon (light) on the right side of TFT in the shape of a speedometer illuminates when the CC is on. It is amber when in standby and green when active.
    Then when the CC switch is pressed left again the icon goes out.
  10. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Mother fucking dealers!!!
    First talked to the sales guy, explained the issue with the CC and asked if he could lookup what was purchased based on the VIN. NOPE, he "can't do that, only the service manager". He is busy/not available, waiting for 45 minutes. "Nope, can't do that. You have to leave the bike and we will charge you our 1 hour minimum diagnostics." WTF?!
    me: Making a bit of scene as I don't have a ride out and don't want to leave the bike there. One of the guys recognizes me from one of the race events and says " got a lunch in 20 mins. wait on the side, will try to help"

He brings a laptop, punches a VIN, yup CC was purchased. Brings me in (the manager is out for lunch), connects to a different tool/laptop and in 10 minutes I am out with:

If I can find who owns the dealership they are going to hear from me suggesting this guy gets a promotion to the manager and the rest of the fuckers are fired. And I owe him a beer or two!

Attached Files:

11. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every dealer should have one!

A guy who actually knows what he is doing!

I would smile if this wasn't so bloody sad
  12. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And actually gives a shit!
    Max Torque, No-Fret and gsuks like this.
  13. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    and BTW thanks for your help everyone here!
    No-Fret, gsuks and BHoward like this.
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad its sorted. One person that gives a damn and know what they are doing saves the day from the pencil pushers again.
    Dessert Storm, No-Fret and gsuks like this.
  15. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the red rubber ring on the bottom of the forks? JPEG_20210329_122126_6263292613947871856.jpg
    No-Fret likes this.
  16. ERU

ERU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sign/measurement device from the factory in order for the owner to sii how much did his fork traveled and to help him ajust it properly.
    In the old days skilled tuners put there an oring.
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or a ziptie.

As mentioned. It's just a way to see how much fork travel you are using. It's not the end all be all of suspension tuning and there are a zillion other factors in how the suspension feels. It just let's you know how much if any stoke is left.

In essence you want to be make use of the stroke you have availible without frequently slamming all the way thru it to a hard bottom. Slide them up and go ride. Then take note of how far the upper shoved it down onto the lower afterwards. On the 790 hard bottom is about 1" before the upper contacts the foot of the lower. The last 2" (or so) of travel is in a portion of the stroke where the bottoming cones inside the forks come into play to slow things up in a hurry. The last inch of that travel being pretty stout (love this feature btw).

Anyway, based on where yours are in the photo it looks like it came down into the bottoming cone zone and stopped just where the bottoming cone starts to throw on the brakes. If that represents a hard ride with BIG hits you have some travel left on the table. If that much travel was used on a mellow ride it would indicate that you don't have much reserve to get more aggressive.

Fun to play with and see how differences in adjustments and technique effect the outcome.
    Dessert Storm and No-Fret like this.
  18. 9.5isCanadian

Oddometer:
    Or a need to adjust front suspension settings (if it’s currently set at mid points in the settings) to match riding.

9 1/2
  19. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not so much an "or" as it's just an indicator of travel used but sure, adjusting damping with the clickers is one way to increase or decrease total stroke to a degree. Not sure how much the stock set up will do in that regard to be honest. I tend to adjust clickers to fine tune the overall feel of the bike rather than use them for bottoming control. There is a lot going on towards the bottom of the stroke. Oil height, spring rate, bottoming cones, and valving all play a role.
  20. 9.5isCanadian

Oddometer:
    Great intel.
    Thanks.
    9 1/2