KTM 790 advR ... choices choices

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by tropicalbikey, Aug 2, 2019.

1. tropicalbikey

tropicalbikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indonesia - traffic madness and paradise touring
    Throwing this out there to those who actually have or have ridden the 790R a fair bit: and who have experience with the F800GSA. What issues have you felt are important for me to know? I'm about to put down a deposit on one, and sell off my 2013 F800GSA.
    1. Are all those fancy electronics a liability? -or are they pretty stable?
    2. I still find my F800GSA a bit unwieldy at slow speeds when fully loaded on long trips (I can only flat foot on one side, tip toe the other. That lower center of gravity on the 790R sounds great. One reviewer complained about not enough protection for the tank, others who seemed to take a more "scientific" approach say it's not an issue.
    3. the other alternative is the Yamaha T7. simpler bike... but I one serious reviewer said on long distances the seat would be uncomfortable.
    These bikes are more than twice the price in Indonesia due to crazy tax so it's a big decision for me. I do a lot of 1000 - 3000 km trips for work (photography and video) in semi remote areas. Not serious off road usually but it does come up.
    Appreciate any input.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you’re otherwise happy with the 800, I’d just invest some $ in suspension upgrades and rage on.
    If you really want to start all over from scratch, the 790 is easily the best all around motorcycle (that you can ride like a dirtbike if you want) that I’ve experienced. It continues to impress.
    nhbubba and nibby like this.
  3. tropicalbikey

tropicalbikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indonesia - traffic madness and paradise touring
    Done - put the deposit down - there's roughly a months wait. Now to touch up beemer and make it presentable for sale...
  4. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    You won’t be disappointed.
    It’s a total peach.
    joelee and DRglidarn like this.
  5. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    @tropicalbikey Don't worry about the saddle. If the T7 is half as good as reported, Sargent, Seat Concept and other will fill webpages with fancy fanny pleasing offerings.
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I have only done a short test ride with buddies bike but I think T7 is very good for what it is; basic bike that does it's job. But 790 is not basic bike, it's high end bike and comparing to T7 is just wrong. These two bikes have completely different DNA.
  7. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    @ramirin Hope this doesn't come off sounding too harsh, but citing DNA is like trying to sell the sizzle and not the steak. In my comparison of these two bikes, it boils down to how much will it cost to buy, reliability, maintenance cost and intervals, ergonomics and does it meet my personal application and needs? I have no brand loyalty to either KTM or Yamaha.
  8. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    You don’t have a 790 or a t7 either.
    SoilSampleDave and comradecasey like this.
  9. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    @chippertheripp You are correct, I do not own either a KTM 790 Adv and T7, but they are both on the list as a replacement for my current ride.
  10. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    If you don't have fun factory and 'kicks' on your list go with T7 it's way more rational and economic solution, it's feature list has everything needed. Cost .. you could have two of those with the price of 790 R Rally.

Not saying T7 is a bad choice in any way - it's just different - like comparing dog and wolf. Different DNA as I said.

While maintaining your shopping list, feel free to ask pretty much anything about the 790; owners/riders here are coming from different backround and using it for various purposes on- and offroad and they seem to be really helpful bunch.
    CaseyB and x32792 like this.